Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Homelander's insanity clarified …
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Okay, I'm finally starting the boys. I'm amazed at how not-coy they are about homelander right from episode one. People who thought he was some kind of hero should be on a government watchlist.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 12:00am
Okay, I'm finally starting the boys. I'm amazed at how not-coy they are about homelander right from episode one. People who thought he was some kind of hero should be on a government watchlist.
But his costume is like the American flag! Of course he's a hero.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 6:14am
That's actually probably the bigger culprit here: sure, some psychos are watching the show being like "damn, fascism rules" but a lot of people are just so incapable of understanding the message a tv show is trying to convey they actually think "flag mean good" and that's that. I'd say "not to be too snobby" but I'm gonna go ahead and just be snobby: this is why most of the highest network tv is dumber than dogshit and designed for the millions and millions of people for whom a show like the boys is genuinely too subtle.

All these people like "bipartisanship" as an aside.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 8:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 6:14am
That's actually probably the bigger culprit here: sure, some psychos are watching the show being like "damn, fascism rules" but a lot of people are just so incapable of understanding the message a tv show is trying to convey they actually think "flag mean good" and that's that. I'd say "not to be too snobby" but I'm gonna go ahead and just be snobby: this is why most of the highest network tv is dumber than dogshit and designed for the millions and millions of people for whom a show like the boys is genuinely too subtle.

All these people like "bipartisanship" as an aside.
I don't disagree, but will add that it's depressing that The Boys could be regarded as subtle in any way. One thing it carries over from the traditional superhero genre is that it paints in bold, obvious colours. It fucks with them and inverts them, but it doesn't do so with sly winks and indirect gestures. It's crazy to think that there are fans—actual fans—who may have thought that we were supposed to be rooting for Homelander. Like, not reading against the preferred narrative, but completely missing what the preferred narrative is.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
I need to get back to watching. I watched the first few episodes and then kind of forgot about it. That final scene (with the plane) in the first episode was jaw dropping.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 11:41am
Flex wrote:
I need to get back to watching. I watched the first few episodes and then kind of forgot about it. That final scene (with the plane) in the first episode was jaw dropping.
It just gets better. I dont think you can get too far without the realization that Homelander and pretty much all the super heroes are shit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 12:53pm
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
It just gets better. I dont think you can get too far without the realization that Homelander and pretty much all the super heroes are shit.
It's the non-assholes, like Starlight, who are the exception. They aren't all monsters like Homelander, tho. Most are just selling out and making the most of their privilege. Like any celebrity.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 1:04pm
revbob wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 12:53pm
JennyB wrote:
Flex wrote:
It's the non-assholes, like Starlight, who are the exception. They aren't all monsters like Homelander, tho. Most are just selling out and making the most of their privilege. Like any celebrity.
True

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just finished Canada's excellent Slings & Arrows. Highly recommended, especially if you're a Shakespeare fan. It's not at all necessary to be one, but it adds a little something extra.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kory wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 2:33pm
Just finished Canada's excellent Slings & Arrows. Highly recommended, especially if you're a Shakespeare fan. It's not at all necessary to be one, but it adds a little something extra.
Wolt recommended it to me a while back. Loved it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Mimi wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 4:35pm
Kory wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 2:33pm
Wolt recommended it to me a while back. Loved it.
I'm now trying to find a way to view Paul Gross' other "hit" show, Due South.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I watched the true crime doc, Girl in the Picture. What a fucked up roller coaster ride that was.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 8:02am
I watched the true crime doc, Girl in the Picture. What a fucked up roller coaster ride that was.
Oh, I have been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the reminder.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yesterday The Boss loaded up the first episode The Old Man and, apparently revealing she's 12, said after ten minutes, "I'm bored, what is this even about?" I said, based on what we'd seen, it's about the Dude, now retired, trying to see his regular doctor. Once it shifted to the Dude killing people, I regularly muttered, "Yeah year, but when is he going to get an appointment to see his proper doctor?"