Page 117 of 153

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 9:26am
by JennyB
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:53pm
Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.
Did you watch the Letterman Netflix shows?

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 9:48am
by Dr. Medulla
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:53pm
Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.
Did you watch the Letterman Netflix shows?
No. Any good?

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 10:34am
by JennyB
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:48am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:53pm
Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.
Did you watch the Letterman Netflix shows?
No. Any good?
Yes. But his beard is distracting.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 10:48am
by Dr. Medulla
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 10:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:48am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:53pm
Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.
Did you watch the Letterman Netflix shows?
No. Any good?
Yes. But his beard is distracting.
I was just as struck by his thin white top, too. Sure, he's in his 70s, but, I dunno, it's like we didn't get an intermediate period. He was Dave and then he quit and emerged as a guy who'd been living in a cave. There's no transitional fossil to explain it all.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Sep 2018, 11:01am
by JennyB
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 10:48am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 10:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:48am
JennyB wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 9:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:53pm
Decided to check out Norm Macdonald's Netflix show, catching the ones with David Spade and David Letterman. Ehh, it's okay, tho it really hit home how familiar and comfortable/comforting listening to David Letterman is. I watched him regularly in the 80s, but lost interest in the 90s—not in him, but the format, I suppose. But there's just something good hearing DL be mildly curmudgeonly. Mind you, it's still jarring seeing him as a really old man.

Each episode ends with a nostalgic nod to Canadian entertainment, with Norm and his sidekick doing the closing tune that Wayne and Shuster did at the end of their specials.
Did you watch the Letterman Netflix shows?
No. Any good?
Yes. But his beard is distracting.
I was just as struck by his thin white top, too. Sure, he's in his 70s, but, I dunno, it's like we didn't get an intermediate period. He was Dave and then he quit and emerged as a guy who'd been living in a cave. There's no transitional fossil to explain it all.
Exactly.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
by Dr. Medulla
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 14 Oct 2018, 2:11pm
by 101Walterton
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.
Used to watch that as a kid, I still remember their radio jungle :mrgreen:

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 20 Oct 2018, 9:27am
by revbob
I just saw Netflix has canceled Luke Cage. I've enjoyed the hell out of that show. Fuck you Netflix.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 2:57pm
by Kory
revbob wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 9:27am
I just saw Netflix has canceled Luke Cage. I've enjoyed the hell out of that show. Fuck you Netflix.
Both Iron Fist and Cage now gone. Speculation is rampant that this has something to do with Disney's upcoming streaming service. I'd put money on DD and JJ getting axed shortly.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 3:19pm
by Wolter
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.
The actor who played Less Nessman was literally my current age when the show was CANCELED.

If you had told me he was 20 years older than me when it started, I’d’ve believed you.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 3:23pm
by Dr. Medulla
Wolter wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.
The actor who played Less Nessman was literally my current age when the show was CANCELED.

If you had told me he was 20 years older than me when it started, I’d’ve believed you.
Holy crap. I would have guessed his age during the show was mid-50s easy.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
by Wolter
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:23pm
Wolter wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.
The actor who played Less Nessman was literally my current age when the show was CANCELED.

If you had told me he was 20 years older than me when it started, I’d’ve believed you.
Holy crap. I would have guessed his age during the show was mid-50s easy.
38 in 1978 when it started. 42 when it ended.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 4:10pm
by revbob
Wolter wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:23pm
Wolter wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 3:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 8:03am
This is a masterpiece of sitcom writing and performance.
The actor who played Less Nessman was literally my current age when the show was CANCELED.

If you had told me he was 20 years older than me when it started, I’d’ve believed you.
Holy crap. I would have guessed his age during the show was mid-50s easy.
38 in 1978 when it started. 42 when it ended.
Yeah that hardly seems possible, I know it's true but damn.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 4:15pm
by revbob
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 2:57pm
revbob wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 9:27am
I just saw Netflix has canceled Luke Cage. I've enjoyed the hell out of that show. Fuck you Netflix.
Both Iron Fist and Cage now gone. Speculation is rampant that this has something to do with Disney's upcoming streaming service. I'd put money on DD and JJ getting axed shortly.
Yeah, I guess I don't quote understand it though because doesn't Netflix have the rights to still produce those shows?

I've enjoyed all of them but Iron Fist. I didn't like that character when he was in the Defenders so never bothered with IF.

Re: Currently watching.

Posted: 22 Oct 2018, 4:35pm
by Kory
revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 4:15pm
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 2:57pm
revbob wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 9:27am
I just saw Netflix has canceled Luke Cage. I've enjoyed the hell out of that show. Fuck you Netflix.
Both Iron Fist and Cage now gone. Speculation is rampant that this has something to do with Disney's upcoming streaming service. I'd put money on DD and JJ getting axed shortly.
Yeah, I guess I don't quote understand it though because doesn't Netflix have the rights to still produce those shows?

I've enjoyed all of them but Iron Fist. I didn't like that character when he was in the Defenders so never bothered with IF.
The second season totally made up for the first and Defenders. I was looking forward to seeing where it was going to go next.