FAO Hoy

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: FAO Hoy

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:30am
Hoy’s favorite radio personality.
I didn't fully appreciate the alliteration until just now.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 11:21am
Wolter wrote:
08 May 2021, 11:30am
Hoy’s favorite radio personality.
I didn't fully appreciate the alliteration until just now.
I have literally no memory of making that post, which was only a few months ago, but might as well have been from the late Cretaceous these days.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:00pm
Ive fixed more problems in my professional life with a power cycle than you can imagine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 11:00pm
Ive fixed more problems in my professional life with a power cycle than you can imagine.
My inclination is to percussive maintenance, but I know that that rarely works anymore.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Lol at organic grounding.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 1:46am
I did that once while changing a lamp in a theatre light grid when the board operator turned on the main without looking to see if everyone was clear.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 9:50am
matedog wrote:
I did that once while changing a lamp in a theatre light grid when the board operator turned on the main without looking to see if everyone was clear.
Oof. I did that once while changing an outlet in my kitchen and not checking the power correctly.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Wolter wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 9:50am
matedog wrote:
In the industry I used to work in they had a saying: if it's not grounded, it's not dead.
Attachments
Grounded.jpg
Grounded.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I was a kid, I thought it made sense to see what happens when you stick a pair of tweezers in an outlet (answer: lotsa sparks and a blackened tweezer). My dad was an electrician, and I think my stupidity made him question keeping me under his roof.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2022, 2:06pm
When I was a kid, I thought it made sense to see what happens when you stick a pair of tweezers in an outlet (answer: lotsa sparks and a blackened tweezer). My dad was an electrician, and I think my stupidity made him question keeping me under his roof.
I was in a mixed 5th/6th grade class, so we had different groups in different math units. They'd go out into the hall to go over last night's homework while the rest of the class had work time. One day we heard this huge POP out there and one of the kids came in with his hair standing on end. Apparently he had stuck a paperclip in the cap of his pen and stuck it in a socket. Great times.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was in a mixed 5th/6th grade class, so we had different groups in different math units. They'd go out into the hall to go over last night's homework while the rest of the class had work time. One day we heard this huge POP out there and one of the kids came in with his hair standing on end. Apparently he had stuck a paperclip in the cap of his pen and stuck it in a socket. Great times.
One of the things I like about that is that decades later, you still remember that about this guy. And if you came upon him, that's what you'd remember. It's the hilarious cruelty of the stupid stuff we do as kids never fully being expunged. It's like an uncle or aunt never forgetting that you pissed yourself in front of them when you were six, so you're forever some kind of bladder freak. To one of The Boss' aunts, she'll forever be a sullen teen with the severe haircut and dyed jet-black hair.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
One of the things I like about that is that decades later, you still remember that about this guy. And if you came upon him, that's what you'd remember. It's the hilarious cruelty of the stupid stuff we do as kids never fully being expunged. It's like an uncle or aunt never forgetting that you pissed yourself in front of them when you were six, so you're forever some kind of bladder freak. To one of The Boss' aunts, she'll forever be a sullen teen with the severe haircut and dyed jet-black hair.
Oh yeah it would absolutely be the first thing I'd bring up with him. The other would probably be that I got into martial arts because of his half-hearted bullying of me on the school bus. So I don't feel too bad about laughing at his minor electrical misfortune.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh yeah it would absolutely be the first thing I'd bring up with him. The other would probably be that I got into martial arts because of his half-hearted bullying of me on the school bus. So I don't feel too bad about laughing at his minor electrical misfortune.
:lol: My example is a kid who on the first day of kindergarten and grade one cried when his mother dropped him off. He has his own law firm in BC now, specializing in immigration law (I just googled), and I think he's run in a federal election. But I just remember him as the kid who cried.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:54pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
:lol: My example is a kid who on the first day of kindergarten and grade one cried when his mother dropped him off. He has his own law firm in BC now, specializing in immigration law (I just googled), and I think he's run in a federal election. But I just remember him as the kid who cried.
I'd wager he still thinks of himself that way, too. We can "grow up" as much as we want, but we never really do.