Thread of Dreams

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread of Dreams

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 9:15am
revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 8:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 7:40am
Olaf wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 6:27am
What you guys suggest is the stuff of nightmares. I'd wake up screaming, not applauding.
Well, aren't you hoity-toity hard to please!

What I experienced last night wasn't a dream, really, but a sort of grinding thru a memory barrier. For some reason, right before I fell asleep, I tried to remember the name of the key French Situationist. Just a complete blank. I could see him, the famous photo of him smoking a cigar, but no name. Throughout the night, I'd wake up and try to remember the name. Nothing, and fall asleep. And then around 3, I woke up and thought, "Guy!" But that's it. Maybe an hour later, "Guy Desrosiers! No, not right." Then when the alarm went off and I woke up, I had it: Guy Debord. No idea why I should forget the name but neat how my brain was working on it while I was asleep.
Forget it, what about even knowing it?
Ha! He's important for my popular culture class—I talk about Debord and his idea of the spectacle in my KISS lecture—and to a lesser degree my punk class (McLaren was influenced by the Situationists, and both Jon Savage and Greil Marcus really pushed the connection to explaining punk).
Im uncultured :disshame:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Nobody rushing to my defense either...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 12:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 9:15am
revbob wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 8:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 7:40am
What I experienced last night wasn't a dream, really, but a sort of grinding thru a memory barrier. For some reason, right before I fell asleep, I tried to remember the name of the key French Situationist. Just a complete blank. I could see him, the famous photo of him smoking a cigar, but no name. Throughout the night, I'd wake up and try to remember the name. Nothing, and fall asleep. And then around 3, I woke up and thought, "Guy!" But that's it. Maybe an hour later, "Guy Desrosiers! No, not right." Then when the alarm went off and I woke up, I had it: Guy Debord. No idea why I should forget the name but neat how my brain was working on it while I was asleep.
Forget it, what about even knowing it?
Ha! He's important for my popular culture class—I talk about Debord and his idea of the spectacle in my KISS lecture—and to a lesser degree my punk class (McLaren was influenced by the Situationists, and both Jon Savage and Greil Marcus really pushed the connection to explaining punk).
Im uncultured :disshame:

More seriously, ignorance of a somewhat obscure Marxist art terrorist isn't exactly meaningful.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I fell asleep around 2am and only slept for about 3 hours, but I had a brief and unfortunately aborted dream that I’ll retroactively title “Indiana Jones and the 2-Hour Journey to Hell”. The basic plot was that there was an archaeologist-type guy who had discovered a narrow cave of some sort that spiraled straight downwards to an open cavern filled with rivers of lava and some other fucked up shit that I don’t remember. We had a limited one-time opportunity to make the roughly 45-minute hike down, hang out for a half hour or so, and then climb back up. After some lengthy discussion and looking at maps, a party of 6 decided to make the rather dangerous journey. The party consisted of the archaeologist, a reporter, a photographer, me, and guess what......Doc and Rev?......you guys were there too (I think you guys made the cast in this dream because of our recent local snowfall experiences). At one point, as we dawdled at the surface near the mouth of the cave, Doc threw a tennis ball down the hole and we listened to it bouncing down. Anyway, when we finally worked up the nerve to start the trip, the archaeologist went first, followed by the photographer and reporter. Doc went next, followed by Rev and then me. Doc was wearing a beat-up Red Sox hat, Rev (because of his previous IMCT avatar pic) was wearing a stormtrooper helmet, and for some ridiculous reason I was wearing some kind of snowshoes. Unfortunately, as I plunged into the narrow opening after some hesitation, I only made it about 50 feet down the hole before I laughed so fucking hard that I woke myself up. Probably for the best, but I really would have liked to see how this one turned out.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 7:24am
I fell asleep around 2am and only slept for about 3 hours, but I had a brief and unfortunately aborted dream that I’ll retroactively title “Indiana Jones and the 2-Hour Journey to Hell”. The basic plot was that there was an archaeologist-type guy who had discovered a narrow cave of some sort that spiraled straight downwards to an open cavern filled with rivers of lava and some other fucked up shit that I don’t remember. We had a limited one-time opportunity to make the roughly 45-minute hike down, hang out for a half hour or so, and then climb back up. After some lengthy discussion and looking at maps, a party of 6 decided to make the rather dangerous journey. The party consisted of the archaeologist, a reporter, a photographer, me, and guess what......Doc and Rev?......you guys were there too (I think you guys made the cast in this dream because of our recent local snowfall experiences). At one point, as we dawdled at the surface near the mouth of the cave, Doc threw a tennis ball down the hole and we listened to it bouncing down. Anyway, when we finally worked up the nerve to start the trip, the archaeologist went first, followed by the photographer and reporter. Doc went next, followed by Rev and then me. Doc was wearing a beat-up Red Sox hat, Rev (because of his previous IMCT avatar pic) was wearing a stormtrooper helmet, and for some ridiculous reason I was wearing some kind of snowshoes. Unfortunately, as I plunged into the narrow opening after some hesitation, I only made it about 50 feet down the hole before I laughed so fucking hard that I woke myself up. Probably for the best, but I really would have liked to see how this one turned out.
Too bad you woke up—I was going to do something really awesome.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 7:42am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Maybe, but I’m picturing a Red Sox hat floating in a pool of lava. Hopefully you just dropped your hat doing something awesome. :shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 7:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Maybe, but I’m picturing a Red Sox hat floating in a pool of lava. Hopefully you just dropped your hat doing something awesome. :shifty:
No I threw it in. He was taunting me the whole time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 8:36am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dream-me is going to emerge from the lava like a volcano kraken and make you all sorry!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 9:07am
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 8:36am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dream-me is going to emerge from the lava like a volcano kraken and make you all sorry!
I only wanted to toss in the hat but then Kimmelweck said "he'll just get a new one" so...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 9:41am
I only wanted to toss in the hat but then Kimmelweck said "he'll just get a new one" so...
My Sox hat is, in fact, around 15 years old. Not even close to navy blue anymore. It's grey and sweat-bleached in places. The Boss thinks I should get a new one, but I like old and beaten up.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 9:49am
revbob wrote:
My Sox hat is, in fact, around 15 years old. Not even close to navy blue anymore. It's grey and sweat-bleached in places. The Boss thinks I should get a new one, but I like old and beaten up.
My Yankees hat. I have a new one. I don't wear it much because I don't want to ruin it. :twitch:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
She was in on the plan too, just the hat though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I knew she'd betray me one day!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
My Yankees hat. I have a new one. I don't wear it much because I don't want to ruin it. :twitch:
We call that Jeterian. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:20am
revbob wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I knew she'd betray me one day!
Only your hat.