Thread of Dreams

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread of Dreams

Post by revbob »

I dreamt I was working out west somewhere not sure where. But things seemed off but I couldn't identify what or why. My phone wasnt working too well. Some guy mentioned earthquakes in Phoenix which concerned me because apparently my mom was there. I tried calling her but my phone still wasn't working. I went to the office I was working at to try and get on the internet or maybe see some TV news. It wasnt my office so I didn't have a computer but another guy basically said if I could fix his computer I could use it. I said ok and asked him to get me a pepsi, not a diet one. The computer was messed up he couldn't remember his password and I didnt have any tools for bypassing that. He came back with a diet pepsi and I said thanks and pushed it off to the side. Then at some point I was standing outside to try and get a signal for my phone. Nobody else seemed to care that there was a big earthquake in Phoenix and apparently some other event as well on the west coast. While I was outside I could see NYC somehow and it was post 911 but for some reason they had rebuilt the twin towers. One of them had a crane arm and scaffolding on it and the top floor had very high ceilings and you could see inside the glass facade. Well the floor below the top floor gave way partially and the building was tilted. I could see inside and people were panicking as the building was moving and shifting . I could still see inside and people were getting tossed around and some falling to their deaths while others somehow managed to jump over to the other building as when the top part of the one building collapsed it also shifted towards the other especially as it swayed. Some people made it but others continued to die and I couldn't watch anymore. There was a general feeling of impending doom that has carried over into my waking state.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pepsi has long been associated with impending doom.

Also, you were working in your dream again. You've got to have built up some ETO days with your unconscious. Take a few of them, man.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 8:32am

Also, you were working in your dream again. You've got to have built up some ETO days with your unconscious. Take a few of them, man.
Yeah its a bit depressing when I think about it. Whoever said dreams are wish fulfillment was full of it.

Now I have some chores to do...

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I retired in January and still have work related dreams a few times each week. My Dad says he still has them too, I guess it's because your job is or was such a large part of your life for so many years, it's just stuck in your subconscious.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 9:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I retired in January and still have work related dreams a few times each week. My Dad says he still has them too, I guess it's because your job is or was such a large part of your life for so many years, it's just stuck in your subconscious.
Odd that I'm basically a workaholic—well, more addicted to routine—but I rarely have work-related dreams, or at least dreams that are clearly tied to a recognizable reality. My stuff leans to the weird and disastrous.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I dont seem to have the school dreams anymore at least.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:12am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Odd that I'm basically a workaholic—well, more addicted to routine—but I rarely have work-related dreams, or at least dreams that are clearly tied to a recognizable reality. My stuff leans to the weird and disastrous.
While I was working, I rarely had "work" dreams, but now their more frequent.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That borders on the tragic.

(Aside: You retired pretty dang young. Good on ya!)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:58am
Sparky wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That borders on the tragic.

(Aside: You retired pretty dang young. Good on ya!)
Thanks, like you, I was (am) a workaholic, always had a job from the time I was 16 years old, then ultimately put in just over 34+ years with the company I did retire from. So it's not surprising to me that I continue to "work" in my dreams (nightmares?).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I don't usually share (or remember) my dreams but I retained a snippet from last night that amuses me. I dreamt the missus was told to participate in a skills training group for work but the group was learning pre-modern english for some reason. she got on the phone with the guy in charge of the group and he wasn't speaking actually old english but just affecting a fancy accent and some douchey turns of phrase. I could overhear the phone convo so I yelled as loudly as I could "STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE"

lol. Another portion of the dream was me having a discussion about the quality of work for a recently built retaining wall adjacent to our highway (a holdover from my mayoral days, I suspect, when that was a topic of conversation). Most of my dreams tend towards the dull, I think. I rarely remember them.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 12:33pm
Another portion of the dream was me having a discussion about the quality of work for a recently built retaining wall adjacent to our highway (a holdover from my mayoral days, I suspect, when that was a topic of conversation). Most of my dreams tend towards the dull, I think. I rarely remember them.
"I declare the Smashmouth Retaining Wall open!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 12:54pm
"I declare the Smashmouth Retaining Wall open!"
*engages ceremonial scissors*

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
I don't usually share (or remember) my dreams but I retained a snippet from last night that amuses me. I dreamt the missus was told to participate in a skills training group for work but the group was learning pre-modern english for some reason. she got on the phone with the guy in charge of the group and he wasn't speaking actually old english but just affecting a fancy accent and some douchey turns of phrase. I could overhear the phone convo so I yelled as loudly as I could "STOP BEING AN ASSHOLE"
Was it Heston?

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 1:23pm
Flex wrote:
Was it Heston?
Almost certainly

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Had a dream I just woke up from in which I was stranded out of town with a co-worker, apparently by some weather-related event. I have no idea what our job was or what we were there to do. The co-worker in the dream happened to be a guy I actually grew up with and hung around with through 12 years of grade school but haven’t seen for around 30 years. We were stranded in a completely deserted single story school building with multiple classrooms. We were sitting at a cafeteria-type table in a classroom that had several such tables in it, with a blackboard at the front of the room. We were seated facing the blackboard, and there was a wall of windows to my left that overlooked an empty parking lot. My co-worker/friend had in front of him on the table some kind of book or magazine that he had been glancing at. Out of nowhere he started reciting a series of a couple hundred words that were sort of word-pairing contradictions. It went something like this: happy victim, rapid delay, silent noise, lucky loser, honest thief, brave coward, unsafe refuge, etc. Those are just a few that I remember, but he rattled off like a hundred such word pairings while I listened and wondered what the hell he was going on about. He went on for a couple minutes. When he had finished reciting this list of words, he asked me how many of the contradictory word-pairings I could remember. We both had to think really hard about it, but together could only recall maybe half a dozen of them.

At that point I became distracted by the weather in the parking lot outside the windows, which was like a growing rainy fog that was causing large drops of moisture to form on the window glass. At the same time, it became apparent that the whole room we were in was filling with a white fog. The fog grew so thick in the room that we could barely see each other. I got up from the table and walked to the windowed wall of the room, which was lined with low metal radiators that were vented at the top and that ran the length of the room beneath the windows. I laid down on the floor at the base of the radiators, up against the wall, and asked my co-worker/friend if he could even see me through the fog in the room from the table he was still seated at. He said he couldn’t. I remarked that someone could walk into the room and not even know I was there.

At that point, the dream transitioned to a completely different scene, in which we were guests on some kind of talk show. The host, very Maury-Povich-like, was talking to an audience of a couple hundred people, and telling them of our stranding at the school, and how we had played their “memory game”. Apparently it was a local thing that all of the audience members were familiar with. Depending on how many word-pairings you remembered, you achieved some kind of rank or title, and the host mentioned to the audience that we had only been able to achieve the lowest rank. The audience laughed knowingly. Then I woke up.

What I find particularly weird/interesting about this dream, in hindsight, is that my sleeping brain had somehow generated about a hundred of these odd contradictory word pairings, one after another, but then I was only able to recall like half a dozen of them when my friend asked me how many I could remember.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.