Thread of Dreams

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Thread of Dreams

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 8:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 4:13pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 4:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 1:16pm
Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 1:00pm
Dreamt last night that we lived in a world where actors could be erased from history entirely. I was trying to find two particular character actresses of the 90s, both made extra difficult because I couldn't remember their names so had to go through the movies they were in to find out they never existed.
A world without Tom Cruise? Le sigh …
We'd definitely be worse off without Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia.
Wouldn't the role be recast with someone less homophobic, cultish, and just plain off-putting?
As much as I want to not like Tom Cruise, I just can't. I don't remember his homophobia, but yeah, the cult thing is a pretty big deal. Still, the dude has charisma for days and he's been in too many good, big action movies over the years not to like.
Bronson Pinchot has spoken about being on the set of Risky Business and Cruise going on about whether this guy was a fag or that guy was a homo, just non-stop.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 8:44pm
(I avoid his and Dicaprios movies)
DiCaprio's a weird guy for me in that I don't find him appealing in any way, yet I can't deny that I've liked a number of flicks that he's been in—The Aviator and Catch Me If You Can immediately come to mind. He's no draw, but neither is he automatically off-putting (tho I can fully understand why some people would think so).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 9:08pm
revbob wrote:
DiCaprio's a weird guy for me in that I don't find him appealing in any way, yet I can't deny that I've liked a number of flicks that he's been in—The Aviator and Catch Me If You Can immediately come to mind. He's no draw, but neither is he automatically off-putting (tho I can fully understand why some people would think so).
He was REALLY good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape but pretty meh in anything else Ive seen him in.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 9:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
He was REALLY good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape but pretty meh in anything else Ive seen him in.
Never seen that one. What was eating Gilbert Grape?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 9:44pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 9:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Never seen that one. What was eating Gilbert Grape?
I saw it 30 years ago or so, he played a mentally disabled kid. 20 yo me liked it, not sure how 50 yo me would feel.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I have never enjoyed a Tom Cruise performance. DiCaprio was captivating in Django Unchained and well-cast in Wolf Of Wall Street. He wasn't bad in Inception. The douchier the role, the better Leo tends to be.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 5:38am
I have never enjoyed a Tom Cruise performance. DiCaprio was captivating in Django Unchained and well-cast in Wolf Of Wall Street. He wasn't bad in Inception. The douchier the role, the better Leo tends to be.
Ive only seem Django and yeah as a character you should hate yeah job well done but I hate him anyway. I thought he was awful in the Departed, but then I thought the movie itself was not that good, sort of a live action cartoon. But Im just a malcontent anyway.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 7:41am
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 5:38am
Ive only seem Django and yeah as a character you should hate yeah job well done but I hate him anyway. I thought he was awful in the Departed, but then I thought the movie itself was not that good, sort of a live action cartoon. But Im just a malcontent anyway.
I think he’s not so great in serious roles. Django, Hollywood, Wolf of Wall Street, even Catch Me were fun roles. I know he was a horrific character in Django, but it was so over the top that it seemed like he was really enjoying himself. The actual heavy roles are harder for him.

Except Revenant. That one is spectacular though he doesn’t talk too much in that, mostly just swims in near freezing water.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I dreamt I was in a house of zombie kids.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Curious dream for its mixture of accuracy and invention. A childhood friend, Terry, returned to town—we were back in our hometown—and we were having a serious talk where it seemed like he was coming out and saying he had feelings for me. I told him about something that actually did happen. He moved to my hometown when he was around 9 or 10, lived about a half block away, and we became decent friends. At various points we might have been best friends, I dunno. By junior high, he was travelling in the more jock-asshole crowd, and I haven't seen him since Grade 12 (I heard he was in a bad car crash after graduation but that he survived).

Anyhoo, not long after he moved to our hometown, I was at his house along with another friend, Darren, who also lived in the neighbourhood and I'd been friends with since kindergarten. Athletic, lower middle class family, the home was always filthy. Darren was the first friend I remember to start smoking, when he was 13. I remember he and I used to go running, and we'd have to stop so he could have a smoke break. So we were all in the basement and Terry was called upstairs, then returned to say that his mother said he could only have one friend over. A combination of martyr inclination plus a fear that he'd tell me to go led me to volunteer to leave—better to jump than be pushed—but it stung that he didn't object at all, kinda confirming that he wanted to hang out with Darren more. So I told him about that in the dream and he got embarrassed. I also told him about seeing Darren recently and that he was middle-aged fat now (also a true story, tho the last time I saw Darren was about 20 years ago, when by coincidence we were both working as couriers). It was striking for the accuracy of what I related to Terry.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I dreamt a 20 something version of me as walking thru the streets in the evening, just observing people. Then a bunch of people came out of a building up a head of me and started talking to me I was ignoring them as best I could but suddenly Donald Sutherland stepped out of the same building. They referred to him as someone/something else and I was like no thats Donald Sutherland the actor. He liked that I recognized him and tried talking to me but none of it made sense and I was trying to politely get away. Next thing I know I was Christmas shopping. I was in a store gathering things to buy for everyone along with a ton of other people. Eventually it was time to pay and somehow I wound up near the front of the line but there was a bunch of people I seemed to know (not friends) maybe from earlier in the dream who were near the back and they were in line before me but I didn't want to give up my spot so I didn't look back and kind of kept my head down. Eventually I got to the register and they started ringing me up. The lady at the register stopped and went back to talk to someone and while she did I took some pills I bad in my pocket like 4 or 5 and all different shapes and colors. The lady comes back and tells me she needs to ring up the pills I just took. I found a few more in my pocket and said they were like these. She finishes ringing me up and then starts flirting with me. She was probably 50 and I 20 and I didn't want to be rude so when she offered her number I took it. She said something about spending the holiday together I had plans to leave town but did not say anything. I left and was trying to figure out best to handle the situation. The dream segued into a different scenario at that point but I dont remember where it went.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Strange quality to a dream. There wasn't much of a narrative to relate, but the key point to relate is that I was explaining to someone in great detail, and with great emotion, the physical abuse I suffered as a child. It was quite precise. Yet none of it was true in the slightest. In my dream telling, it was entirely accurate and not exaggerated or "dream like," but every iota was completely fictional.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Had a dream last night that was very weird but had a fairly coherent narrative and I recalled just about every detail. At first, I was working outdoors in a loading dock area behind a large single-story multi-company building. The loading bays had garage-type doors raised off the ground and a partial roof with weird yellow lighting. In front of the loading bay I was working at, there were several work-area levels made of plywood on scaffolding, and it was thus inaccessible to trucks, so no actual loading was done there. I was seated on one of the plywood levels about 8 feet off the ground, and my job was to sort through a bunch of weird plastic and metal parts whose function I couldn’t discern. At one point, a bunch of parts fell off my plywood level onto the concrete floor below, so I climbed down to retrieve them. I then started talking to a guy who told me he was making insane money working for another company that operated out of the next loading bay, doing essentially the same job, and he also told me that some of the parts I had retrieved off the floor belonged to his company, not mine. So I walked in a ground-level back door to get some clarification, from a manager I guess, but soon realized I had mistakenly wandered in the back door of a Japanese restaurant run by a madman named Mr. Hebido. (Pronounced kind of like HEB-doe, the “i” was nearly silent.) He was tiny – about 2 and a half feet tall – but powerful and greatly feared by his employees.

Mr. Hebido thought I was stealing from him, so he held me hostage in the basement of the restaurant. The basement was like an office space, with white walls, cubicles and desks for his restaurant employees, and a glass wall separating the lower employees from the management types. His plan was to punish me by torturing me for his own entertainment and apparently that of some of his high-paying restaurant customers. One of his employees, a woman, took a great risk to tell me of his intentions and to help me with a plan for escape. She gave me a scrap of cardboard ripped from the edge of a pizza box with a drawing on it that she had made of Mr. Hebido sitting atop a customer’s shoulders. (The drawing had his name written on it, which is how I know the correct spelling of “Hebido”.) She implored me to show the drawing to Mr. Hebido and to tell him I drew it myself, and that I had an idea for a restaurant promotion where customers would pay for him to ride around on their shoulders and berate them. I was doubtful, but she insisted he would LOVE the idea and be so amused that he would grant me my freedom.

So I arranged a meeting with Mr. Hebido, but when I met him, I couldn’t find the cardboard drawing – someone had taken it. Because of the language barrier (he spoke only broken English) I was unable to communicate the promotion idea to him, and he grew very angry. He climbed me like a tree, and hanging on to my shoulders, yelled angrily in my face with spit flying. Seeing him up close for the first time, I noticed that he had eyes that were like solid black orbs. Fearing for my life, I fought back. I grabbed him by the ankles and slammed him on the nearest desk about 5 times and took off running. I made it to a small one-person elevator that went from the basement to the restaurant floor upstairs. The door of the elevator closed briefly, but then was pried open by a couple of Mr. Hebido’s henchmen. Still in the basement, I struggled with them at the door of the elevator for a few seconds, punching them a few times through the partially-opened door, until I was able to get it to close again.

The elevator had 4 small white buttons, confusingly labeled, from top to bottom: down arrow, off, on, up arrow. The arrow buttons were labeled such that their functions were reversed – the down arrow button made the elevator go up. Also, it took me several tries to realize that “on” was the “door open” button and “off” was the “door close” button. So after the door had closed and the elevator started going up, I wound up back at the basement floor and had to fight off Mr. Hebido’s henchmen a couple more times. It wasn’t until someone yelled out that “off” was the “door close” button and that “up” was “down” that I figured out the labeling system and finally reached the restaurant floor. When the elevator door opened, I ran through a maze of tables seated with customers and finally found the glass doors leading to the front parking lot. I realized that I was limping the whole time. As I burst through the front doors, I met one of Mr. Hebido’s customers, who was just leaving. He asked me if I had any more drawings of Mr. Hebido to sell – and I realized that he was the one who had taken the pizza box drawing that the nice lady had given me! I told him no, I was just trying to get out of there. He told me I’d better hurry before something happened to my other foot. At that point I remembered that I had been limping, and as I looked down in horror to see what had happened to my lame foot, I woke up. :scared:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That's an impressive amount of detail and sequence of events. I rarely, if ever, have a narrative that lengthy or detailed (or, rather, that I retain that much).

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 1:01pm
That's an impressive amount of detail and sequence of events. I rarely, if ever, have a narrative that lengthy or detailed (or, rather, that I retain that much).
More often I’ll forget everything 10 seconds after I wake up. It probably helps if there is a memorable but coherent narrative in the first place, but for all I know that only happens every month or two. Last night’s dream was so weird and complete that I felt the need to quickly type it up as soon as I woke up and somehow none of the details faded from memory as I typed.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.