The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 10:16am
I guess Republicans don't mind wasting money when it is in their interest.
What better way to prove to voters that government is wasteful and inefficient?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 9:30am
The Republican led recall here in California failed "bigely" 63.9% to 36.1%. The real shame is this farce is estimated to have cost taxpayers over $300 million, money that could have been used wisely elsewhere.
We were told how tight the race was leading up to yesterday. Not sure if it was bad polling or just keeping democratic voters motivated.

But yeah, what a fucking waste. I guess Republicans don't mind wasting money when it is in their interest.
I'm glad people got out and voted, it ain't over until it's over. From what I'd read in the last 2 weeks, Newsom was expected to prevail, some consider Elder a bit of a train wreck.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 10:43am
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
The Republican led recall here in California failed "bigely" 63.9% to 36.1%. The real shame is this farce is estimated to have cost taxpayers over $300 million, money that could have been used wisely elsewhere.
We were told how tight the race was leading up to yesterday. Not sure if it was bad polling or just keeping democratic voters motivated.

But yeah, what a fucking waste. I guess Republicans don't mind wasting money when it is in their interest.
I'm glad people got out and voted, it ain't over until it's over. From what I'd read in the last 2 weeks, Newsom was expected to prevail, some consider Elder a bit of a train wreck.
I read a few things citing CA GOP insiders who groaned when Elder entered, that he was enough of a clown car that it would make the vote less about getting rid of Newsom than putting in someone like Elder.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 11:15am
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I read a few things citing CA GOP insiders who groaned when Elder entered, that he was enough of a clown car that it would make the vote less about getting rid of Newsom than putting in someone like Elder.
I think that Elder leading the GOP side was probably the best case scenario.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 11:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Be thankful that the fascists haven't come up with a candidate who can plausibly seem not nuts/incompetent (because that kind of appearance would make them unpalatable to the base).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 12:16pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:

Be thankful that the fascists haven't come up with a candidate who can plausibly seem not nuts/incompetent (because that kind of appearance would make them unpalatable to the base).
Crazy but true.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
matedog wrote:

Completely agree, keep pitching us the Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz types.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 7:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Completely agree, keep pitching us the Marjorie Taylor Greene and Matt Gaetz types.
The problem is there's a normalization, mainstreaming or whatever that goes on with these nutjobs and they become the new norm for the right.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 9:49pm
Sparky wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 7:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The problem is there's a normalization, mainstreaming or whatever that goes on with these nutjobs and they become the new norm for the right.
Very sad and very true. I can only hope the party has the strength to recover from all this BS and return to a more mainstream agenda, even if I don't always agree with it, I think I could tolerate it more than the circus / nightmare we've endured for the past 4 plus years.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/18/bill-m ... l_partner/

Bill Maher will be a full on Republican within 5 years. He's been flirting with it for a while.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 11:00pm

Bill Maher will be a full on Republican within 5 years. He's been flirting with it for a while.
He sort of inhabits that space that Glenn Greenwald did/does where he's sort of a weed-smoking libertarian who has/had some weak anti-war commitments and didn't like george w. bush so he sort of got mistaken for a progressive/leftist. Shame on me for falling for it with a few of these shitheads, I'll try to never do it again.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 11:00pm

I've hated that ass for years now, with his kneejerk selfish edginess. My mother loved watching his show to hear him criticize the right, but filtered out his anti-Muslim bigotry and love of punching down when his esteemed position was threatened.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 2:52pm
One of the extra ugly aspects of the Trumpian turn is that people have foolishly rehabilitated Bush into someone benign, even well meaning, as if there's room for only one brand of evil at a time. Good for that vet in not forgetting or forgiving.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 4:25pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 2:52pm
One of the extra ugly aspects of the Trumpian turn is that people have foolishly rehabilitated Bush into someone benign, even well meaning, as if there's room for only one brand of evil at a time. Good for that vet in not forgetting or forgiving.
Yeah - I have even fallen into that trap. I remember jokingly saying once, when Trump was president, "I long for the good 'ol days of GWB." He's nice! He paints shitty portraits! I caught myself and this video is another great reminder.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy