No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 8:42am
matedog wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 9:47am
Also, how has Chris Brown never been cancelled?
Ive always done my part.
Ha! I'd like to join you in this announcement, and add that I have also avoided Marilyn Manson's music.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 9:15am
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
Ive always done my part.
Ha! I'd like to join you in this announcement, and add that I have also avoided Marilyn Manson's music.
Oh yeah totally.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 9:15am
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
Ive always done my part.
I'll be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the MM stuff. Not that I was a fan of his music. Some of the singles I heard on the radio were alright, but that's as far as I went. I did like MM as a anti-establishment figure at the time and this plays into what his detractors thought at the time. I think that's the main disappointment. I'd like to think his issues stem from what seems to be a bad cocaine/booze habit that maybe wasn't an issue during his prime, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Also on reviewing his discography, I'm surprised how many of his hit songs were covers. Not a hit, but his "I Put a Spell On You" cover from the Lost Highway soundtrack is probably my favorite thing from him.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:34am
I'll be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the MM stuff. Not that I was a fan of his music. Some of the singles I heard on the radio were alright, but that's as far as I went. I did like MM as a anti-establishment figure at the time and this plays into what his detractors thought at the time. I think that's the main disappointment. I'd like to think his issues stem from what seems to be a bad cocaine/booze habit that maybe wasn't an issue during his prime, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Like with Clapton, where drugs didn't make him a racist, drugs didn't make MM a misogynist. They exaggerated or facilitated what was already there.

That said, I'll admit that I was amused by the fear and outrage his camp schtick caused moral scolds, but I never regarded anything especially meaningful in what he was doing. He played, and for a time played well, the old rock gimmick of scaring parents.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:42am
matedog wrote:
Like with Clapton, where drugs didn't make him a racist, drugs didn't make MM a misogynist. They exaggerated or facilitated what was already there.

That said, I'll admit that I was amused by the fear and outrage his camp schtick caused moral scolds, but I never regarded anything especially meaningful in what he was doing. He played, and for a time played well, the old rock gimmick of scaring parents.
Yeah and he was just mostly recycling the shock image from those who came before.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2021, 10:42am
matedog wrote:

Yeah and he was just mostly recycling the shock image from those who came before.
My favorite thang about Matey is that he isn't a total cynic yet. It's a good time to introduce him to the Cynics.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I used to be a sound guy, it was joyless to say the least. Totally wasted 1.5 years at the Art Institute for this?!

While I was reading that, This headline caught my eye and caused a chuckle: https://thehardtimes.net/opinion/if-neg ... th-my-cat/
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 7:55pm
While I was reading that, This headline caught my eye and caused a chuckle: https://thehardtimes.net/opinion/if-neg ... th-my-cat/
It's not untrue. :disshame:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 8:20pm
Kory wrote:
Don't be too hard on yourself - I'm obsessed with my betta and snail.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 10:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
We've got renos going on—we started the process last June but work only commenced this week because of pandemic-related logjams!—and my main stress is making sure the cats aren't too wigged out by all the disruption and noise. As I type, they've all been snoozing for the past three hours. :rolleyes:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 12:00pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
We've got renos going on—we started the process last June but work only commenced this week because of pandemic-related logjams!—and my main stress is making sure the cats aren't too wigged out by all the disruption and noise. As I type, they've all been snoozing for the past three hours. :rolleyes:
As cats are wont to do.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
As cats are wont to do.
Four-legged jerks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 6:46am
The Economist are such dicks.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/