The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 10:53am
In light of SB 8 in Texas, I thought this was a fascinating article. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ns-107133/
I cringe whenever I see the name Paul Weyrich

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

So some Pinochet-loving fascist creep actually topped the poll in the first round of the Chilean presidential elections. What is wrong with these people? Haven't they suffered enough?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 9:20am
JennyB wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 10:53am
In light of SB 8 in Texas, I thought this was a fascinating article. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ns-107133/
I cringe whenever I see the name Paul Weyrich
Hello,

I went to Furman University in Greenville, SC. Bob Jones was right down the highway. There's plenty of stories about that place (armed guards with submachine guns to protect "the art collection").

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Florida governor DeSantis has decided to create his own militia that only he would control. I wonder how the U.S. DOJ feels about this one?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjbbyx/ ... tate-guard

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The obviousness of it all is remarkable. :scared:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 6:30pm
Florida governor DeSantis has decided to create his own militia that only he would control. I wonder how the U.S. DOJ feels about this one?

Yeah, I was reading about that earlier today. From what I understand, something like 23 states already have such forces (state guards) - they are separate from the National Guard and under direct control of each state’s governor. New York (a pretty solid blue state), for example, has one. They generally do emergency management stuff – in New York I believe they were involved with helping out during the pandemic. So hopefully it’s not as bad as it sounds. With DeSantis though, I agree, it seems pretty shady.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 7:06pm
Sparky wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 6:30pm

Yeah, I was reading about that earlier today. From what I understand, something like 23 states already have such forces (state guards) - they are separate from the National Guard and under direct control of each state’s governor. New York (a pretty solid blue state), for example, has one. They generally do emergency management stuff – in New York I believe they were involved with helping out during the pandemic. So hopefully it’s not as bad as it sounds. With DeSantis though, I agree, it seems pretty shady.
I had read of something similar to what you're describing in the other states. You nailed it though, it's DeSantis being involved with it that makes me believe there's some underlying motives for implementing it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The Pinochet loving thug beaten in Chile, finally some good news to wake up to. Next - payback time for Bolsonaro.

Please remember Victor Jara in the Santiago stadium...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Eno: Still holding good views*
https://www.avclub.com/brian-eno-gazes- ... 1848250055

*U2 excepted
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 8:47am

*U2 excepted
I'd never heard of NFTs up to around 6 months ago when, seemingly out of nowhere, social media was full of them. Still only half a notion what the shit they are but all the right folk seem against them so that's my cue on it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2021, 8:47am

*U2 excepted
I'd never heard of NFTs up to around 6 months ago when, seemingly out of nowhere, social media was full of them. Still only half a notion what the shit they are but all the right folk seem against them so that's my cue on it.
It’s confirmation of the irrationality of value and of people with way too much money.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Stephen Bryer to retire. Lets see how Munchkin and Cinema handle this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 2:11pm
I predict that the nominee will be the most extreme left winger ever, someone who hates America, and will shred the Constitution and make the Founding Fathers turn in their graves.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 2:20pm
revbob wrote:
I predict that the nominee will be the most extreme left winger ever, someone who hates America, and will shred the Constitution and make the Founding Fathers turn in their graves.
I certainly hope so.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 2:20pm
revbob wrote:
I certainly hope so.
I predict Ted Cruz will declare that this nomination is too important—the very soul of the nation is at stake—and so Biden should wait until Americans have a chance to vote in November.

edit: Or …