Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 7:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 5:11pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 3:32pm
I defy anyone to get through this without either crying or being profoundly shaken or both. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... &itid=gfta
And yet, to those whose minds need to be changed, that will do nothing. The people who die are irrelevant. How they die is irrelevant. I no longer believe it's worth trying to persuade them.
$$$ is the only thing that will persuade them
I don't even think that would work. It is an insane article of faith that any kind of restricted access to a means of killing somebody is death itself. If there were an amnesty/buy-back of guns (like what Australia did), I doubt it'd make much of a dent in the private arsenal that infects the US. You don't treat rationally people whose view of the world is irrational. And if you think a firearm is a legitimate tool of civil society, yeah, fuck you, you're irrational. Your mind is a swamp and your soul can decompose there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:12pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I defy anyone to get through this without either crying or being profoundly shaken or both. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/i ... &itid=gfta
And yet, to those whose minds need to be changed, that will do nothing. The people who die are irrelevant. How they die is irrelevant. I no longer believe it's worth trying to persuade them.
I don't even think that would work. It is an insane article of faith that any kind of restricted access to a means of killing somebody is death itself. If there were an amnesty/buy-back of guns (like what Australia did), I doubt it'd make much of a dent in the private arsenal that infects the US. You don't treat rationally people whose view of the world is irrational. And if you think a firearm is a legitimate tool of civil society, yeah, fuck you, you're irrational. Your mind is a swamp and your soul can decompose there.
I specifically mean the politicians vs the everyday asshole who wont give up their guns.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:12pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I specifically mean the politicians vs the everyday asshole who wont give up their guns.
In a brute logic kind of way, yes, it's about money and being in the employ of the gun industry. I doubt all that many of those bastards are *that* sincere about gun worship. But eliminating money from the equation is even more unfathomable than making sure all Americans can acquire lots of high-powered weapons to kill kids.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

gkbill wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:09pm
Hello,

MTG tweet.PNG
She's a piece of shit.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Mimi wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 10:26pm
gkbill wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 8:09pm
Hello,

MTG tweet.PNG
She's a piece of shit.
And that's insulting to the piece of shit!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And all the guy has to do is claim he was scared for his life and that'll be that. Curious that all these manly men with gunly guns get scared easily, tho.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:01am
And all the guy has to do is claim he was scared for his life and that'll be that. Curious that all these manly men with gunly guns get scared easily, tho.
That doesn’t always work out like that gas station guy in Florida. Though I don’t remember if that was because people made enough of a fuss.

Unless there are details missing, this is really really fucked up.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That doesn’t always work out like that gas station guy in Florida. Though I don’t remember if that was because people made enough of a fuss.

Castle defence will be invoked. It was this guy's property, not in a public space like the gas station, so he isn't obliged to retreat.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:26am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Castle defence will be invoked. It was this guy's property, not in a public space like the gas station, so he isn't obliged to retreat.
Castle defense is the law of the land in Wisconsin and it's always blown my mind that I could kill someone on my property if I felt they were a threat and likely get away with it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Castle defense is the law of the land in Wisconsin and it's always blown my mind that I could kill someone on my property if I felt they were a threat and likely get away with it.
I dont understand how any decent person could square themselves with the fact that they shot someone who absolutely meant them no harm. Do they in their head think
the story that he was just coming to the door looking for his siblings is just some cover story and that he knows it was really an attempted home invasion or something?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

In our neighborhood there's a house with a sign on the porch that says something like "burglars, this house is armed. There's nothing in here worth losing your life over." Nothing worth losing your life over, but the family room television is worth killing someone over, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:56am
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:47am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I dont understand how any decent person could square themselves with the fact that they shot someone who absolutely meant them no harm. Do they in their head think
the story that he was just coming to the door looking for his siblings is just some cover story and that he knows it was really an attempted home invasion or something?
Fuelled on a diet of fear and abstraction (that person isn’t a human being, it’s a monster) makes it really easy to do horrible things. It’s how militaries train people to kill—the enemy isn’t a real human being like you, they’re a monster who wants to kill you. The goal, whether it’s Fox News or military trainers or dictators, is to destroy any sense of commonality with the other side.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:59am
In our neighborhood there's a house with a sign on the porch that says something like "burglars, this house is armed. There's nothing in here worth losing your life over." Nothing worth losing your life over, but the family room television is worth killing someone over, I guess.
I often wonder what’s worse for the person who kills a burglar: living with the knowledge that you took a life over some stuff, or living with the belief that this was a righteous act.