The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Flex »

new monmouth poll has warren +3 nationally. that's a gold-standard poll so good new for warren. it's interesting because warren's climb doesn't seem to come from biden or sanders really losing much support, it's consolidating undecideds and some lower tier candidates. she's also the primary second choice for a lot of primary voters, so she still stands to make some big gains as other candidates drop out. I'd probably call her the front-runner at the moment, which is wild. I know (and agree!) with a number of the substantive critiques of warren from the sanders camp, but she'd still significantly further to the left than I ever thought would be possible for a major presidential candidate in my lifetime.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 3:05pm
new monmouth poll has warren +3 nationally. that's a gold-standard poll so good new for warren. it's interesting because warren's climb doesn't seem to come from biden or sanders really losing much support, it's consolidating undecideds and some lower tier candidates. she's also the primary second choice for a lot of primary voters, so she still stands to make some big gains as other candidates drop out. I'd probably call her the front-runner at the moment, which is wild. I know (and agree!) with a number of the substantive critiques of warren from the sanders camp, but she'd still significantly further to the left than I ever thought would be possible for a major presidential candidate in my lifetime.
And Bernie's health scare undoubtedly raises concerns about his viability. As Biden continues to lose support whenever he talks, is there another centrist who can step up to challenge, or does this end up being a steamroller for Warren because, as you say, she's the second choice of so many?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Once again, the Onion neatly intersects with reality.
https://politics.theonion.com/resistanc ... 1839138224
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mmmm, the smell of corruption, so intoxicating.
https://theintercept.com/2019/10/25/joe ... super-pac/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Obama's fidelity to neoliberalism remains ardent: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/1 ... uff-071248

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 5:32pm
Obama's fidelity to neoliberalism remains ardent: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/1 ... uff-071248
it's wild that he's the best president of my lifetime

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 8:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got almost a couple decades on you and the answer is still the same. Which is kind of a neat question—how far back to you have to go find someone better? JFK? Eisenhower? FDR? It's hard to limbo under such a low bar.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2019, 9:08pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got almost a couple decades on you and the answer is still the same. Which is kind of a neat question—how far back to you have to go find someone better? JFK? Eisenhower? FDR? It's hard to limbo under such a low bar.
LYNDON MOTHERFUCKING JOHNSON.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If not for Vietnam, yup, but that's one big stinky elephant in the room.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:53am
JennyB wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 10:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If not for Vietnam, yup, but that's one big stinky elephant in the room.
True.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A thought: Obama is the inverted Jimmy Carter. Jimmy was a lousy president but a superb ex-president (a superb human being, actually), whereas Obama was a "good" president but he's proving to be a really shitty ex-president, more focused on getting rich and using his influence to thwart vital political action.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Watching and reading highlights of last night's debate and I realize I have a visceral loathing of mayor pete. Just a deeply smarmy, disingenuous prick. Almost trumpian in some ways (attacking "Washington experience" and brazenly dissembling about previous statements like sending troops to the Mexican border), but more mannered about his trumpiness so it makes it okay for dems or something.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 10:54am
Watching and reading highlights of last night's debate and I realize I have a visceral loathing of mayor pete. Just a deeply smarmy, disingenuous prick. Almost trumpian in some ways (attacking "Washington experience" and brazenly dissembling about previous statements like sending troops to the Mexican border), but more mannered about his trumpiness so it makes it okay for dems or something.
There's a Gary Hart artificiality to him. He ticks off a lot of superficial boxes, but there's nothing of significance to him. He's a perfect centrist Democrat, one who is determinedly status quo—i.e., conservative in the truer sense—but has a biography that suggests something more reformist. Which, well, Obama …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 10:54am
I hate the fact that he's known as Mayor Pete.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble