gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 6:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 6:52am
They shouldn't have scrubbed the license plate.
Hello,

This person needs to work on their definition of "facts".

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 7:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Unlike most of his contemporaries it seems like he can at least spell.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

I wonder what it is about Kamala Harris that makes him think she is lazy.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 9:05am
She just looks lazy, if you know what they mean. Good chance she's scamming the government with multiple identities collecting welfare, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
Like Doc said, she isnt white.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 9:52am
oliver wrote:
She just looks lazy, if you know what they mean. Good chance she's scamming the government with multiple identities collecting welfare, too.
Well at least she's not out promoting Jewish space lasers, so give her some credit. :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 9:52am
oliver wrote:
Well at least she's not out promoting Jewish space lasers, so give her some credit. :mrgreen:
That you know of. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 7:40pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hardly ... he misspelt "Demoncrats"
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spiff wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 1:42pm
revbob wrote:
27 Oct 2021, 7:40pm
gkbill wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Hardly ... he misspelt "Demoncrats"
I prefer "spendocrats."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Low Down Low »

I don't know if there are particular motives for this, but taken at face value, this seems really welcome and brave. I wasn't anticipating anything this radical at this point at least.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 4:19pm
I don't know if there are particular motives for this, but taken at face value, this seems really welcome and brave. I wasn't anticipating anything this radical at this point at least.

In the most crassly political way, it's of a piece with student loan forgiveness—to appeal to young voters. It might also be a deliberate effort to inflame a part of the cultural divide, to encourage Republicans to show themselves out of step with the majority. Coming so close to the midterm elections, it has to be part of tactical push (compare to in Canada, when pot was decriminalized after the Liberals won an election).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:

POTUS/status/1578097875480895489?s=20&t=fTeAuoxR5-gRti5Q8RTZnw
Well, the cons first:

1. It's been designed to exclude people who have non-legal status (most of whom probably aren't in the country anymore)
2. It doesn't include people who were arrested for other marijuana related arrests, which make up about 2/3 of arrests
3. It doesn't actually release anyone from prison who are in there

Now the pros:

1. 6,500 people having their record expunged is still a big deal! These felonies destroy people's lives with their record. It's a huge alleviation of suffering for thousands of people.
2. The direction to reclassify marijuana, if it actually happen, will have a real, substantive effect on preventing future miseries. It's actually probably the biggest deal in the whole announcement, imho.
3. The call for states to do the same as the feds in expunging records won't get taken up by everyone, but I think there's a good chance dem states go along with it. It's really a political winner.

So, as usual with Biden, there's some ancient Vulcan proverb "only Nixon can go to China" by going further than hiss ostensibly more progressive predecessor, my mixed in wiith Frustration that he's not going as far as he morally should, but still pushing a framework that you could see bearing fruit with further action in the future.

Grading on the curve of u.s. domestic policy, I still think this counts as notable action.

Addendum: on the politics, I agree with Doc. I think that makes it smart tho!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Flex wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 7:06pm
Low Down Low wrote:

POTUS/status/1578097875480895489?s=20&t=fTeAuoxR5-gRti5Q8RTZnw
Well, the cons first:

1. It's been designed to exclude people who have non-legal status (most of whom probably aren't in the country anymore)
2. It doesn't include people who were arrested for other marijuana related arrests, which make up about 2/3 of arrests
3. It doesn't actually release anyone from prison who are in there

Now the pros:

1. 6,500 people having their record expunged is still a big deal! These felonies destroy people's lives with their record. It's a huge alleviation of suffering for thousands of people.
2. The direction to reclassify marijuana, if it actually happen, will have a real, substantive effect on preventing future miseries. It's actually probably the biggest deal in the whole announcement, imho.
3. The call for states to do the same as the feds in expunging records won't get taken up by everyone, but I think there's a good chance dem states go along with it. It's really a political winner.

So, as usual with Biden, there's some ancient Vulcan proverb "only Nixon can go to China" by going further than hiss ostensibly more progressive predecessor, my mixed in wiith Frustration that he's not going as far as he morally should, but still pushing a framework that you could see bearing fruit with further action in the future.

Grading on the curve of u.s. domestic policy, I still think this counts as notable action.

Addendum: on the politics, I agree with Doc. I think that makes it smart tho!
Way i see it, it's standard for politicians of all hues to make election promises they either can't keep or have no intention of doing, so actually implementing something to garner votes is at least a step ahead of that. I can see the limitations and the agenda at play and i think my initial reaction was guided by the fact that, fairly or unfairly, my default position is to not expect very much from Biden at all, so I'm more inclined to set my cynicism aside when i see something like this. Cannabis is already legal in some states, though right, without the world collapsing in, so seems like there was something to build on there?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 4:10am
Way i see it, it's standard for politicians of all hues to make election promises they either can't keep or have no intention of doing, so actually implementing something to garner votes is at least a step ahead of that. I can see the limitations and the agenda at play and i think my initial reaction was guided by the fact that, fairly or unfairly, my default position is to not expect very much from Biden at all, so I'm more inclined to set my cynicism aside when i see something like this. Cannabis is already legal in some states, though right, without the world collapsing in, so seems like there was something to build on there?
From a longer historical view, it's quite notable to have a politician of his standing—the top guy—state that possession of pot shouldn't ruin a person's life. Zero tolerance for drugs of any kind (well, duh, not nicotine or alcohol) has been as safe a bipartisan position as any dating back to the 19th c. Whatever they might say and think privately, it was a fringe position to advocate it. I mean, same-sex marriage arrived sooner if you want to compare taboos. So it's not as much as it should be and it took a lot of work at the state level to create this space and shift the discourse, but it's notable that someone with Biden's history would tentatively walk thru that door. It's an acknowledgement that the general public does not consider pot a scare subject and it isn't worth pushing against it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »