Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 11:20am
Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 2:39pm
8. Mayor Pete (awful and horrifying for the reasons stated above. he's an empty suit who bends to corporate whims, he's smarmy and smug, and honestly I think his background as someone from a financially comfortable family who VOLUNTEERED to go fight our wars of imperialism in the middle east should be immediately disqualifying for anyone on the left. that he's admitted he did it with the idea of helping advance his political career should make anyone who considers themselves anti-war horrified and repulsed. i find his potential ascendancy deeply, deeply disturbing.)
It's weird that that is seen as a positive because he can earn cred from the right who have a boner for military people. But seriously, who the fuck willingly went to Iraq in fucking 2007? I mean, as you state, someone who had a lot of other opportunities.
But he won't win anything from the right for being in the military. The American right shits on any person of military background who doesn't toe the right-wing line. Democrats keep thinking that a military background will give their candidates cover from attack on the right and it never does.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 12:19pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
8. Mayor Pete (awful and horrifying for the reasons stated above. he's an empty suit who bends to corporate whims, he's smarmy and smug, and honestly I think his background as someone from a financially comfortable family who VOLUNTEERED to go fight our wars of imperialism in the middle east should be immediately disqualifying for anyone on the left. that he's admitted he did it with the idea of helping advance his political career should make anyone who considers themselves anti-war horrified and repulsed. i find his potential ascendancy deeply, deeply disturbing.)
It's weird that that is seen as a positive because he can earn cred from the right who have a boner for military people. But seriously, who the fuck willingly went to Iraq in fucking 2007? I mean, as you state, someone who had a lot of other opportunities.
But he won't win anything from the right for being in the military. The American right shits on any person of military background who doesn't toe the right-wing line. Democrats keep thinking that a military background will give their candidates cover from attack on the right and it never does.
But John Kerry...and Wesley Clark?!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 12:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Sen. Max Cleland from Georgia lost both legs in Vietnam and voted for Bush Jr's Iraq boondoggle, but that didn't prevent Republicans from portraying him as a weak supporter of the military. But military people, by and large, ignore that shit and keep supporting Republicans.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pee-fucking-yew: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-kenn ... dceaa7337b

Unless Ted Sorensen's grandson wrote your speech, fuck off with your low-rent and convenient profiles in courage hokum.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.thenation.com/article/polit ... ng-ticket/

The other, perhaps ghoulish appeal is that Sanders died in office, the replacement would be far more in sync with his vision than someone offering ideological "balance."

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 3:27pm

The other, perhaps ghoulish appeal is that Sanders died in office, the replacement would be far more in sync with his vision than someone offering ideological "balance."
Yeah, I think it makes a lot of sense (I just skimmed the article so far, so don't know if this is all addressed here, but it's been a topic of convo obviously). Warren could pull in a chunk of the Dem base that's skeptical of Sanders for various reasons, but may not be opposed out of a fundamental class antagonism, and it's one of the only picks that wouldn't seem totally compromised on Bernie's part that would still put a high profile name in the VP slot (i mean, who else does he go to?)

Somewhat forgotten in a lot of the Bernie/Warren back and forth has been that the financier class of the Dem party still absolutely hates her guts, but I think that's immaterial to the coalition-extension she could provide Bernie in terms of shoring up some regular D voters.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 3:27pm

Yeah, I think it makes a lot of sense (I just skimmed the article so far, so don't know if this is all addressed here, but it's been a topic of convo obviously). Warren could pull in a chunk of the Dem base that's skeptical of Sanders for various reasons, but may not be opposed out of a fundamental class antagonism, and it's one of the only picks that wouldn't seem totally compromised on Bernie's part that would still put a high profile name in the VP slot (i mean, who else does he go to?)

Somewhat forgotten in a lot of the Bernie/Warren back and forth has been that the financier class of the Dem party still absolutely hates her guts, but I think that's immaterial to the coalition-extension she could provide Bernie in terms of shoring up some regular D voters.
Losing Wall Street's influence on the party would be better for its loss, of course, but perhaps its return to the Republicans would help pull it away from the lunatics (not that I'd expect that, just musing).

The balanced ticket argument is silly, anyway. Clinton/Gore was successful because of its consistency—Boomer, Southern, corporate liberal. I said before, tho, that I expect Beto to be high on everyone's VP list because he's young, reasonably charismatic, and is ideologically squishy enough not to hamstring the ticket. He ain't the worst option.

BostonBeaneater

The only way anything changes now involves people getting shot. Sadly, the wrong people will be shot first and our only hope is to start making shot the bad ones get shot sooner than later.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 1:40am
The only way anything changes now involves people getting shot. Sadly, the wrong people will be shot first and our only hope is to start making shot the bad ones get shot sooner than later.
It’s fucking mind boggling that in a country of 300 million people there hasn’t been a single good shot with nothing to lose.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 3:02am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
It’s fucking mind boggling that in a country of 300 million people there hasn’t been a single good shot with nothing to lose.
I'm still amazed that there was never a meaningful assassination attempt on Obama. It's like right-wing media's effect is to both generate a righteous rage yet also inhibit real action. The right likes to constantly mutter how they can only be pushed so far and then Civil War: Kill the Libruls will erupt. But as a whole it's just fantasy, that when the time comes they'll be heroes, but they'll never say that the time actually has come because that'd fuck the fantasy.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 9:05am
Kory wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I'm still amazed that there was never a meaningful assassination attempt on Obama. It's like right-wing media's effect is to both generate a righteous rage yet also inhibit real action. The right likes to constantly mutter how they can only be pushed so far and then Civil War: Kill the Libruls will erupt. But as a whole it's just fantasy, that when the time comes they'll be heroes, but they'll never say that the time actually has come because that'd fuck the fantasy.
I rest in my faith that the right wing foot soldiers are not so bright. We just have to find a way to sneak arsenic into the Skoal supply.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 9:05am
Kory wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I rest in my faith that the right wing foot soldiers are not so bright. We just have to find a way to sneak arsenic into the Skoal supply.
Subliminal messages embedded in Lee Greenwood songs is worth exploring.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »