The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 9:22am
With this announcement by RFK Jr, does that move the needle on supporting Sirhan Sirhan's parole? :shifty:

(For the record, I've supported releasing him for a long time now.)
Playing the long game I see.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
With this announcement by RFK Jr, does that move the needle on supporting Sirhan Sirhan's parole? :shifty:

Playing the long game I see.
Kennedy children and grandchildren are a strong argument for 100% inheritance tax.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just curious, why?

Also I had no idea he was still alive.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just curious, why?

A couple reasons. First, he's been in jail for over 50 years now. He's paid for his crime and then some. He's lost his life in any meaningful sense and there is no reason to think he'd be a danger to anyone. Keeping him in jail is pointless punishment and political posturing. Second, he was an angry kid at a time and in an environment of anger and violence. A lot of people did some really stupid and horrible things in the name of what they considered justice. Let's acknowledge that and that there is a type of collective guilt in contributing to those days. Robert Kennedy remains somewhat of a role model for me and I regard his assassination as the great "what if?" moment of the 1960s, but I don't see how keeping Sirhan in prison serves any purpose beyond crude malice.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 10:44am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just curious, why?

A couple reasons. First, he's been in jail for over 50 years now. He's paid for his crime and then some. He's lost his life in any meaningful sense and there is no reason to think he'd be a danger to anyone. Keeping him in jail is pointless punishment and political posturing. Second, he was an angry kid at a time and in an environment of anger and violence. A lot of people did some really stupid and horrible things in the name of what they considered justice. Let's acknowledge that and that there is a type of collective guilt in contributing to those days. Robert Kennedy remains somewhat of a role model for me and I regard his assassination as the great "what if?" moment of the 1960s, but I don't see how keeping Sirhan in prison serves any purpose beyond crude malice.
I'm of the "life in prison without parole" mindset for people that commit murder. Haven't really thought it through too thoroughly, but my gut reaction is that there shouldn't be some period where they stop having to pay for that particular crime.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

In that case, I suppose I'm deviating from my "prison is for rehab/reform" mentality in making it a punishment for the sake of punishing. Inconsistent I suppose.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 10:44am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Just curious, why?

I'm of the "life in prison without parole" mindset for people that commit murder. Haven't really thought it through too thoroughly, but my gut reaction is that there shouldn't be some period where they stop having to pay for that particular crime.
The problem with that, for me, is that it lets society off the hook after the trial. We don't have to think about stuff, to evaluate, to consider context as time elapses. Incarceration is serious stuff, for both those found guilty and for society. We expect prisoners to reflect on their deeds, but we should also be reflecting on what it all entails. Yes, some people should be kept out of society for the rest of their life, both because of the nature of their crimes and the kind of person they become while locked away (Canada's Paul Bernardo comes to mind). But some people are not the same person from when they committed their crime, and they have suffered greatly by being separated from free society for years and years. In the case of Sirhan, I have a hard time looking at him and concluding, "No, you haven't been punished enough. More." There is no evidence that he is a danger, that he is unremorseful, or that paroling him would send a signal, "Go ahead and kill someone. You'll be out in a cool 50 years." A just society isn't a sadistic one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Shitty birds of a shitty feather flock together: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/aaron-ro ... 40918a6184

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 6:36pm
Shitty birds of a shitty feather flock together: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/aaron-ro ... 40918a6184
Absolutely repulsive but unsurprising. All of these anti-vax clowns should be properly understood as, at least morally speaking, mass murderers. The JFK jr campaign is going to platform some of the most deranged sickos this country has to offer.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

With RFK Jr. cozying up with Moms For Liberty, pushing Russian talking points, and, of course, the anti-vax conspiracies, one has to wonder why he isn't competing in the Republican primaries.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 6:51pm
With RFK Jr. cozying up with Moms For Liberty, pushing Russian talking points, and, of course, the anti-vax conspiracies, one has to wonder why he isn't competing in the Republican primaries.
Trump/RFK jr unity ticket

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 6:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 6:51pm
Trump/RFK jr unity ticket
I'm serious in saying that might actually win.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

RFK Jr goes antisemitic conspiracy on covid to prove his bona fides as a despicable idiot.
https://nypost.com/2023/07/15/rfk-jr-sa ... pare-jews/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 9:45am
RFK Jr goes antisemitic conspiracy on covid to prove his bona fides as a despicable idiot.
It's a family fucking tradition, dating back to old Joe.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 9:45am
Holy shit that's gross.

I still have enough residual Massachusetts-family based affection for the Kennedys, despite everything, that seeing what's become of the family name makes me genuinely a bit sad - and quite disgusted. He's gotta be a favorite to end up on trump's ticket, right? That's going to be horrible to watch play out.

Pex Lives!