The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 8:54am
Omigod. Impeach Biden before it's too late!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 8:48am
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 4:10am
Way i see it, it's standard for politicians of all hues to make election promises they either can't keep or have no intention of doing, so actually implementing something to garner votes is at least a step ahead of that. I can see the limitations and the agenda at play and i think my initial reaction was guided by the fact that, fairly or unfairly, my default position is to not expect very much from Biden at all, so I'm more inclined to set my cynicism aside when i see something like this. Cannabis is already legal in some states, though right, without the world collapsing in, so seems like there was something to build on there?
From a longer historical view, it's quite notable to have a politician of his standing—the top guy—state that possession of pot shouldn't ruin a person's life. Zero tolerance for drugs of any kind (well, duh, not nicotine or alcohol) has been as safe a bipartisan position as any dating back to the 19th c. Whatever they might say and think privately, it was a fringe position to advocate it. I mean, same-sex marriage arrived sooner if you want to compare taboos. So it's not as much as it should be and it took a lot of work at the state level to create this space and shift the discourse, but it's notable that someone with Biden's history would tentatively walk thru that door. It's an acknowledgement that the general public does not consider pot a scare subject and it isn't worth pushing against it.
Yeah, i mean I'm from a place that has been rather enthusiastically congratulating itself for its thoroughly liberal credentials these past few years and I've seen quite a bit of discussion on this today to the effect, where are we on this? Quite a few years behind would be my crude estimate on it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Way i see it, it's standard for politicians of all hues to make election promises they either can't keep or have no intention of doing, so actually implementing something to garner votes is at least a step ahead of that. I can see the limitations and the agenda at play and i think my initial reaction was guided by the fact that, fairly or unfairly, my default position is to not expect very much from Biden at all, so I'm more inclined to set my cynicism aside when i see something like this. Cannabis is already legal in some states, though right, without the world collapsing in, so seems like there was something to build on there?
From a longer historical view, it's quite notable to have a politician of his standing—the top guy—state that possession of pot shouldn't ruin a person's life. Zero tolerance for drugs of any kind (well, duh, not nicotine or alcohol) has been as safe a bipartisan position as any dating back to the 19th c. Whatever they might say and think privately, it was a fringe position to advocate it. I mean, same-sex marriage arrived sooner if you want to compare taboos. So it's not as much as it should be and it took a lot of work at the state level to create this space and shift the discourse, but it's notable that someone with Biden's history would tentatively walk thru that door. It's an acknowledgement that the general public does not consider pot a scare subject and it isn't worth pushing against it.
Yeah, i mean I'm from a place that has been rather enthusiastically congratulating itself for its thoroughly liberal credentials these past few years and I've seen quite a bit of discussion on this today to the effect, where are we on this? Quite a few years behind would be my crude estimate on it.
It undoubtedly says more about my ingrained defeatism, but I am stunned that in my lifetime same-sex marriage was legalized and pot was decriminalized. Coming of age in a conservative ascendency, the notion that those social taboos would be stricken away seemed far-fetched. And yet it's happened and society hasn't collapsed (well, not from that, anyway).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re:w Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 10:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
It undoubtedly says more about my ingrained defeatism, but I am stunned that in my lifetime same-sex marriage was legalized and pot was decriminalized. Coming of age in a conservative ascendency, the notion that those social taboos would be stricken away seemed far-fetched. And yet it's happened and society hasn't collapsed (well, not from that, anyway).
That's so true. It's easy to take those things for granted now but they were significant and necessary victories for progressives. Seems quaint to me now but i can remember the pitched battles in college over the provision of a condom machine while abortion was such a poisonous topic, it was near certain political death for any party that dared go near it. When it was finally passed, a mere 4 years ago, it wasn't the fact it finally happened, but that it did so without barely a whimper. That felt pretty strange but seismic too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Re:w Rew: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 10:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
That's so true. It's easy to take those things for granted now but they were significant and necessary victories for progressives. Seems quaint to me now but i can remember the pitched battles in college over the provision of a condom machine while abortion was such a poisonous topic, it was near certain political death for any party that dared go near it. When it was finally passed, a mere 4 years ago, it wasn't the fact it finally happened, but that it did so without barely a whimper. That felt pretty strange but seismic too.
That was the funny thing about both same-sex marriage and pot decriminalization, once it was enacted, the screaming, despairing opponents just kind of melted away. They're still there, but their voice is gone. All that panic and promise of doom just evaporated.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 11:34am
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 10:40am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That was the funny thing about both same-sex marriage and pot decriminalization, once it was enacted, the screaming, despairing opponents just kind of melted away. They're still there, but their voice is gone. All that panic and promise of doom just evaporated.
One of the last redoubts on this island are the hardline unionists in the north who, frankly, are slippng ever further into absurdity and irrelevance by the day. Just instinctively saying no to absolutely everything doesn't seem to carry the appeal it once did!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 1:36pm
One of the last redoubts on this island are the hardline unionists in the north who, frankly, are slippng ever further into absurdity and irrelevance by the day. Just instinctively saying no to absolutely everything doesn't seem to carry the appeal it once did!
It's a curious thing to assess. On the one hand, there is a pretty credible threat from some type of fascism across the Western world. But on the other, it does feel like the air escaping from so many of the issues that have sustained the bigots.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 1:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:
It's a curious thing to assess. On the one hand, there is a pretty credible threat from some type of fascism across the Western world. But on the other, it does feel like the air escaping from so many of the issues that have sustained the bigots.
Yeah, definitely. You wouldn't want to be complacent about it, though the predictions that the far right would be sweeping into power across much of Europe don't appear to have been accurate. If anything, the tide seems to be receding, the recent result in Italy apart, of course. It's the main reason I'll always back the EU. While i agree with a lot of leftists about its capitalist nature (bailing the bankers out, disgusting treatment of Greece etc), it still seems the best way to reign in tyrants like Orban and whomever Italy or any of the others throw up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, definitely. You wouldn't want to be complacent about it, though the predictions that the far right would be sweeping into power across much of Europe don't appear to have been accurate. If anything, the tide seems to be receding, the recent result in Italy apart, of course. It's the main reason I'll always back the EU. While i agree with a lot of leftists about its capitalist nature (bailing the bankers out, disgusting treatment of Greece etc), it still seems the best way to reign in tyrants like Orban and whomever Italy or any of the others throw up.
My sister sent me this back in August: https://www.dw.com/en/turn-of-the-tide- ... a-62999371

Maybe it's overly optimistic, but we could use some optimism, even if it's just a pick-me-up.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 2:32pm
Low Down Low wrote:
07 Oct 2022, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
My sister sent me this back in August: https://www.dw.com/en/turn-of-the-tide- ... a-62999371

Maybe it's overly optimistic, but we could use some optimism, even if it's just a pick-me-up.
It could be, but definitely tallies with much of what I've read. And Bolsonaro is taking a good kicking in Brazil, or he'll lose at least anyway, so some more good news this week. Fucker should be doing a long porridge stretch, of course, along with his orange faced buddy further north, but you have to take what you can get!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Join her, where exactly? Scrolled to the end of her video and it still doesn't explain. Just leave the democrats and....then what?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 9:38am
Join her, where exactly? Scrolled to the end of her video and it still doesn't explain. Just leave the democrats and....then what?

Watch her on Fox news for a couple years and then vote for her in the 2024 Republican Presidential primary, presumably
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Flex wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 9:50am
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 9:38am

Watch her on Fox news for a couple years and then vote for her in the 2024 Republican Presidential primary, presumably
That did seem the logical conclusion to me, but didn't feel qualified enough to state it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

*wink wink wink wink wink*

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

My primary campaign consultee this year was just named speaker of the house :cool: :cool: :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!