The Future of the Democratic Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Democratic Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More Warren, explaining how the key to making a more civil society isn't by jacking up the police state: https://thinkprogress.org/elizabeth-war ... a8ea9645a/
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 8:04pm
More Warren, explaining how the key to making a more civil society isn't by jacking up the police state: https://thinkprogress.org/elizabeth-war ... a8ea9645a/
I learned on Twitter last night that all this positive chatter about Warren is a deliberate ploy by neo liberals to deny Sanders his rightful ascendency to the Democratic throne, and by sharing it we're rubes falling for the scam.

Addendum: that answer from Warren was great. She was, by a healthy margin, the best performer at the Town Halls last night.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 9:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 8:04pm
I learned on Twitter last night that all this positive chatter about Warren is a deliberate ploy by neo liberals to deny Sanders his rightful ascendency to the Democratic throne, and by sharing it we're rubes falling for the scam.
Good to know that mouthbreather conspiracies aren't just for Curt Schilling.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm actually liking Warren a lot. It will be nice to (hopefully) vote for someone without holding my nose.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:29am
I'm actually liking Warren a lot. It will be nice to (hopefully) vote for someone without holding my nose.
She's doing real good stuff, shame the mediocre guys are getting all the publicity.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:37am
JennyB wrote:
She's doing real good stuff, shame the mediocre guys are getting all the publicity.
Yep. As always.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:42am
I made this observation to Jon, but my take is that the Sanders fanbase was overrated as being cult-like in '16 and probably is being a little underrated in '20.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 10:21am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 6:42am
I made this observation to Jon, but my take is that the Sanders fanbase was overrated as being cult-like in '16 and probably is being a little underrated in '20.
Which I find really weird. He was really valuable in 2016 because the only other option was Grandma Nixon. But with Warren in the primaries and several young people in Congress, his significance is blunted. He's still a valuable critic, but, Christ, he's so damned old. He merits support, but obsessive support? I don't get it.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I actually fell for Mayor Pete for a week or so before quickly jumping off that bandwagon. The longer he's around, the more I realize he doesn't stand for anything beyond the establishment. Also, who the fuck voluntarily goes to Iraq in 2009? Particularly with his credentials at the time. Warren all the way for me, as of now.

Anyone have any thoughts about a running mate? Far less important, but it's interesting to consider what attributes would make for an ideal running mate.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 10:51am
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I actually fell for Mayor Pete for a week or so before quickly jumping off that bandwagon. The longer he's around, the more I realize he doesn't stand for anything beyond the establishment. Also, who the fuck voluntarily goes to Iraq in 2009? Particularly with his credentials at the time. Warren all the way for me, as of now.

Anyone have any thoughts about a running mate? Far less important, but it's interesting to consider what attributes would make for an ideal running mate.
Warren /Sanders.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I speculated before that Beto is going to lead everyone's VP list. Young, Southern, charismatic, really ink blot-ish centrist.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 10:55am
matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Warren /Sanders.
Those seem like to generally similar candidates - Northeast staunch progressives. I think, historically, Pres candidates try to pick someone that would garner enthusiasm at least geographically in a place that they would have a harder time.

Doc mentioned Beto, I might be okay with Mayor Pete as a VP candidate because VP doesn't really matter and he might gather some more moderate support due to his service. Or Kamala because of her anti-criminal justice reform history (which is pretty antithetical to the platform but some could spin as a more moderate/right wing aspect).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

With some exceptions (Clinton/Gore, notably), the VP selection is supposed to being balance by providing qualities that the candidate doesn't have. Age/youth, domestic/foreign, outsider/insider, northern/southern, wings of the party, etc. Doubling up on qualities is regarded as inefficient because if the candidate is already perceived as strong in foreign policy, a foreign policy VP candidate won't attract any additional voters. It's a dumb calculus that is basically checking off boxes. Clinton/Gore in 1992 was more notable because it was two Southern Boomers from the right side of the party—it was a statement about both the shift in the party and that Boomers (ugh) had arrived.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Warren/Harris :shifty:

Then all the media can create cat-fight headlines, because, as you know, two women can't ever get along.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I mean, it'll probably be like Biden / O'Rourke or Biden / Harris or something.

Pex Lives!