Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 9:22am
Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 9:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 9:09am
I can't find the strip online, but a very old Bloom County had the boys musing about whether greatness inhabits one's name, suggesting John F. Kennedy would not have been John F. Kennedy if he'd been born Mortimer Dipthong, Florence Nightingale if she were Lulu McAdoo.
Classic bloom county "humor"

You need a trigger warning in this post for gene
Hey, is that some avocado toast over there that hasn't been photographed and shared?!
I didn't realize people didn't like Bloom County
Gene loathed it and would make a point of announcing that fact whenever Wolter or I shared an old strip. A fair amount of it is necessarily dated humour because it operated on contemporary politics, but in the moment it was a consistently absurd take on events (and occasionally touching).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:21pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 9:09am
I can't find the strip online, but a very old Bloom County had the boys musing about whether greatness inhabits one's name, suggesting John F. Kennedy would not have been John F. Kennedy if he'd been born Mortimer Dipthong, Florence Nightingale if she were Lulu McAdoo.

Hey, is that some avocado toast over there that hasn't been photographed and shared?!
Gene loathed it and would make a point of announcing that fact whenever Wolter or I shared an old strip. A fair amount of it is necessarily dated humour because it operated on contemporary politics, but in the moment it was a consistently absurd take on events (and occasionally touching).
I first read it in '94, well after the times that it was satirizing, and became a fan anyway. It wasn't all topical.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I just think it's funny to carry the torch for gene
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

I first read it in '94, well after the times that it was satirizing, and became a fan anyway. It wasn't all topical.
I'd have to revisit to see, but references to Caspar Weinberger or Dan Quayle would, I imagine, fall flat now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:28pm
I just think it's funny to carry the torch for gene
You lack his Hasidic soul to properly pull it off, tho. Mind you, there's only a handful of people in Tel Aviv who can.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Anyway, Trump stuff. There are amusing reports about paranoia swirling in Del Boca Vista that the rat might have been one of his kids (supposedly the number of people who knew about the safe are quite limited). Which would be lovely if true. And if one of them were in some kind of legal jeopardy for something else, I can totally see them trading up.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:29pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd have to revisit to see, but references to Caspar Weinberger or Dan Quayle would, I imagine, fall flat now.
I knew who Dan Quayle was at the time, of course, but not Weinberger. And yet, references to him were still at least amusing to me because of Breathed's comic timing/acting. There's still something funny about this without knowing the reference, I think.
Attachments
0_j1H4t6epUQhAGHqP..0.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I knew who Dan Quayle was at the time, of course, but not Weinberger. And yet, references to him were still at least amusing to me because of Breathed's comic timing/acting. There's still something funny about this without knowing the reference, I think.
This one makes me blue.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-d ... ago-2022-8
In a statement released Friday, former President Donald Trump didn't deny a Washington Post report that said the FBI searched his Mar-a-Lago home for classified documents with information about nuclear weapons.

Instead, he again attacked former President Barack Obama, baselessly accusing him of illegally keeping classified documents.

"President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified," Trump said. "How many of them pertained to nuclear? Word is, lots!"

Asked whether Trump's statement appeared to confirm that nuclear documents were uncovered in the Mar-a-Lago raid, a former Justice Department official replied, "Sounds like it."

"The correct answer is: 'I didn't take any classified info,'" said the former official, who requested anonymity to candidly discuss the topic.

The person added: "'Word is...' Love that. Word from who? His barber?"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I still say his intent was to sell this info. TBH my wife said it first and she has more or less predicted Trumps actions/intent since 2015. She's from Haiti and has seen legit dictators/govt corruption and that experience growing up under Duvallier and his successors has been her basis for this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 7:15pm
I still say his intent was to sell this info. TBH my wife said it first and she has more or less predicted Trumps actions/intent since 2015. She's from Haiti and has seen legit dictators/govt corruption and that experience growing up under Duvallier and his successors has been her basis for this.
Sell it or turn it over to satisfy those who have shit on him. For a guy who needed pictograms in his daily briefings, the notion that he might even comprehend the contents of such material laughable. There is no plausible reason why he would want that stuff if not to capitalize it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 4:17pm
Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 4:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This one makes me blue.
Same, same.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Another in an unbroken chain of bloom county steps that make me feel sad.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 8:27pm
Another in an unbroken chain of bloom county steps that make me feel sad.
Boo, Genex, boo!