Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Sparky wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 6:32pm
revbob wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 5:52pm
Sparky wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 1:22pm
QAnon "shaman" was just sentenced to 41 months in prison for his role in the January 6th insurrection.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/17/qanon-s ... case-.html
Still not enough.
I would agree. IMO, all the sentences have been what I would consider too light considering the severity of the act. With time off for good behavior, I would assume he's looking at 2-3 years perhaps? Stiffer sentencing would be a great deterrent, let's face it, this Trump shit isn't going away.
On another note, I guess the "pardon" they had hoped for from ole Trumpy isn't going to happen now!
Seems lenient enough alright compared to this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nicolas ... don-2011-8

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 12:11am
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:
QAnon "shaman" was just sentenced to 41 months in prison for his role in the January 6th insurrection.

Still not enough.
I would agree. IMO, all the sentences have been what I would consider too light considering the severity of the act. With time off for good behavior, I would assume he's looking at 2-3 years perhaps? Stiffer sentencing would be a great deterrent, let's face it, this Trump shit isn't going away.
On another note, I guess the "pardon" they had hoped for from ole Trumpy isn't going to happen now!

Wow, that's pretty extreme. Not overly familiar with the sentencing guidelines in the UK, are they generally pretty severe?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sparky wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 9:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Still not enough.

Wow, that's pretty extreme. Not overly familiar with the sentencing guidelines in the UK, are they generally pretty severe?
No, I don't think so tbh. They seemed to just decide on that occasion to single out a number of rioters/looters and throw the book at them to make an example. I think a lot of people were shocked and outraged at the severity. Just the comparison came to mind, whether it's all that valid or not.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 10:03am
Sparky wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:
revbob wrote:

Still not enough.

No, I don't think so tbh. They seemed to just decide on that occasion to single out a number of rioters/looters and throw the book at them to make an example. I think a lot of people were shocked and outraged at the severity. Just the comparison came to mind, whether it's all that valid or not.
In my mind an incident like the theft of a bottle of water doesn't warrant the need to make an example of someone, but the rioters on January 6th surely need to be made an example of, otherwise it's opening the door to total mayhem in our streets.
Last edited by Sparky on 18 Nov 2021, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sparky wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 10:08am
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 10:03am
Sparky wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:

In my mind an incident like the theft of a bottle of water doesn't warrant the need to make an example of someone, but the rioters on January 6th surly need to be made an example of, otherwise it's opening the door to total mayhem in our streets.
Yeah, totally agree, the distinction i would draw between these cases is that in one you had people who, through naivete and stupidity, got swept up in events, made a mistake and got picked on because they were soft targets and in the other you had people who were controlling and dictating events, inciting mobs into violence that was responsible for multiple injuries and loss of life; if anything they have got off quite lightly i would agree.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I just bought my first firearm. I feel more and more like we are going to have to defend ourselves from these nutjobs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 11:24am
I just bought my first firearm. I feel more and more like we are going to have to defend ourselves from these nutjobs.
I wont say I haven't considered it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 7:40pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Same here. I’ve never owned or shot a firearm, and would like to get through my life without needing to. Hard to avoid thinking about it these days though.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 8:48pm
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Same here. I’ve never owned or shot a firearm, and would like to get through my life without needing to. Hard to avoid thinking about it these days though.
Hello,

I will not buy any firearm. My reasoning is I won't sink to that level. I guess I'll live by my wits. I've been in some difficult situations and been able to handle them without a weapon - in New York (Manhattan and Queens), Alabama, and Vermont (ever been to Lyndonville, Revbob?). If each side (I hate saying there are two polarized sides) arms up, guess where things will end up.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
18 Nov 2021, 10:35pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Hello,

I will not buy any firearm. My reasoning is I won't sink to that level. I guess I'll live by my wits. I've been in some difficult situations and been able to handle them without a weapon - in New York (Manhattan and Queens), Alabama, and Vermont (ever been to Lyndonville, Revbob?). If each side (I hate saying there are two polarized sides) arms up, guess where things will end up.
Never spent much time in Lyndonville. I hear what you're saying and that coupled with where I live are what give me pause.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Hello,

It’s not that I don’t trust my wits, it’s that I don’t trust heavily armed and irrational fascist nutjobs who’ve already stated a desire to murder those they disagree with. Let’s hope wits are enough and we don’t have to “sink to the level” of protecting ourselves and those we care about. If only one side is armed, I don’t like to guess where that could end up either. For now, I have no plans to arm myself and I hope I never have a need to.
Last edited by Kimmelweck on 19 Nov 2021, 9:55am, edited 2 times in total.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Kimmelweck wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 9:48am
gkbill wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Hello,

It’s not that I don’t trust my wits, it’s that I don’t trust heavily armed and irrational fascist nutjobs who’ve already stated a desire to murder those they disagree with. Let’s hope wits are enough and we don’t have to “sink to the level” of protecting ourselves and those we care about. If only one side is armed, I don’t like to guess where that could end up either. For now, I have no plans to arm myself and I hope I never have a need to.
I have a medieval mace and some brass knuckles. I'd prefer to get some visceral pleasure out of it if I have to defend my life.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 2:01pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
19 Nov 2021, 9:48am
gkbill wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

I have a medieval mace and some brass knuckles. I'd prefer to get some visceral pleasure out of it if I have to defend my life.
Cyanide capsule in a fake molar for me. Just like Himmler. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

About time, US taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for this BS.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz