Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 1:42pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 12:32pm
Exactly these people are so far out in fantasy land. Trump could personally murder their friends and family and they would still give him the benefit of the doubt.
Early into the Trump years, I read a piece from a behavioural psychologist who said that one of the reasons why conmen succeed is that the kind of people who get sucked in by their promises don't respond with outrage at being fooled—as we'd expect—but assess what happened to exonerate the conman, to preserve the illusion that they haven't been duped. It takes a major shock to break the spell. We're battling not a desire to appreciate reality so much as a desire not to proven a dupe.
Something their leader has too.
Which might explain why this has been especially toxic—the conman is only partially in control of his con. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I assume grifters are more self-aware and know the difference between actual reality and the reality they're selling. They're above the game, so to speak. And maybe Trump in his younger days was like that. I dunno. But, yeah, it's hard not to conclude from various stories from people close to him that he's as much a mark of his con as he is the perpetrator.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I admit that I'm mildly curious why he digs a song by a multiracial band that celebrates being homosexual, especially as he flees the scene of the crime. But the last four years have confirmed that the answer is often that he's just a weird, random lunatic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 3:29pm

I admit that I'm mildly curious why he digs a song by a multiracial band that celebrates being homosexual, especially as he flees the scene of the crime. But the last four years have confirmed that the answer is often that he's just a weird, random lunatic.
He has no idea what the song is about. I doubt he actually listens to any music. He doesn't read. Doesn't have a dog. Probably doesn't even watch TV.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He has no idea what the song is about. I doubt he actually listens to any music. He doesn't read. Doesn't have a dog. Probably doesn't even watch TV.
My limited understanding is that he occasionally watches television.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 4:15pm
JennyB wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 4:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My limited understanding is that he occasionally watches television.
He probably loved Two and a Half Men.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Exactly these people are so far out in fantasy land. Trump could personally murder their friends and family and they would still give him the benefit of the doubt.
Early into the Trump years, I read a piece from a behavioural psychologist who said that one of the reasons why conmen succeed is that the kind of people who get sucked in by their promises don't respond with outrage at being fooled—as we'd expect—but assess what happened to exonerate the conman, to preserve the illusion that they haven't been duped. It takes a major shock to break the spell. We're battling not a desire to appreciate reality so much as a desire not to proven a dupe.
Yup, I remember that shit from Psych 101 in the early 90s and have observed it from day 1 with Trump and his supporters. They’ve been in complete denial because it would shatter their long-cultivated self-image as super-patriots to believe they’ve supported a traitor and shyster. Subconsciously they must feel foolish as hell, but they can’t admit it to themselves so they double down endlessly. It’s even worse when it’s a large part of the population who then get stuck in their own giant feedback loop of denialism.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 3:22pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 3:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Something their leader has too.
Which might explain why this has been especially toxic—the conman is only partially in control of his con. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I assume grifters are more self-aware and know the difference between actual reality and the reality they're selling. They're above the game, so to speak. And maybe Trump in his younger days was like that. I dunno. But, yeah, it's hard not to conclude from various stories from people close to him that he's as much a mark of his con as he is the perpetrator.
Yeah Ive been wondering to what degree he believes and buts into his own BS. And I think it depends and at any moment he's aware of it and other times he's his own dupe.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How long has she been planning this? :lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Meanwhile …

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 8:08am
Meanwhile …
I see the MAGA looney toons are still at it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 11:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 8:08am
Meanwhile …
I see the MAGA looney toons are still at it.
Speaking truth to libtard power, yes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/politics ... index.html

I think we're really going to enjoy Trump's pathetic coda.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:00am

I know it's systemic and structural change that's important, not individuals, but the pleasure in seeing the Trump family crumble would be immense. Just cackling, mocking pleasure.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 6:56am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:00am

I know it's systemic and structural change that's important, not individuals, but the pleasure in seeing the Trump family crumble would be immense. Just cackling, mocking pleasure.
I never felt that way about anybody in my life...until now.