The Trump observations thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Trump observations thread

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 6:41pm

This thread is a great summary of the last four years.
The one where he dumped a whole box of fish food in the koi pond is hilarious. Such a toddler. :lol:

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

This is a great game.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The beauty is that unless you know the biography of the writer, you can't tell whether it's snark or earnest.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The revenge for years of ruined Thanksgivings: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... uths-qanon
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Let the healing begin:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

:mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-supporte ... me-1562797

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 10:29am
Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme
I think the pardoning of Steve Bannon is especially fun. Bannon defrauded Trump supporters over one of Trump's big "things" and Trump gives him the get out of jail free card. Just a giant "Fuck You" to his supporters.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think the pardoning of Steve Bannon is especially fun. Bannon defrauded Trump supporters over one of Trump's big "things" and Trump gives him the get out of jail free card. Just a giant "Fuck You" to his supporters.
Indeed. This guy summed it up well:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree, it's a total FU to his supporters, but hey, they've never been the sharpest tools in the shed. I'm sure they'll put some sort of Kook-Aid inspired spin on it and all will be forgiven for their Orange Turd Master.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 11:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 10:39am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree, it's a total FU to his supporters, but hey, they've never been the sharpest tools in the shed. I'm sure they'll put some sort of Kook-Aid inspired spin on it and all will be forgiven for their Orange Turd Master.
Exactly these people are so far out in fantasy land. Trump could personally murder their friends and family and they would still give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 12:32pm
Exactly these people are so far out in fantasy land. Trump could personally murder their friends and family and they would still give him the benefit of the doubt.
Early into the Trump years, I read a piece from a behavioural psychologist who said that one of the reasons why conmen succeed is that the kind of people who get sucked in by their promises don't respond with outrage at being fooled—as we'd expect—but assess what happened to exonerate the conman, to preserve the illusion that they haven't been duped. It takes a major shock to break the spell. We're battling not a desire to appreciate reality so much as a desire not to proven a dupe.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 1:42pm
revbob wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 12:32pm
Early into the Trump years, I read a piece from a behavioural psychologist who said that one of the reasons why conmen succeed is that the kind of people who get sucked in by their promises don't respond with outrage at being fooled—as we'd expect—but assess what happened to exonerate the conman, to preserve the illusion that they haven't been duped. It takes a major shock to break the spell. We're battling not a desire to appreciate reality so much as a desire not to proven a dupe.
Something their leader has too.