Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 11:31am
revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 11:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 10:28am
Silent Majority wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 10:23am

Will be thrilled if this starts showing up in election results. Reap your whirlwind, governing cunts.
What the right succeeded in convincing Xers was to either vote conservative or to dismiss voting altogether as validation of a corrupt system. Which, give them their due, that's a pretty clever strategy.
Conservatives lose when more people vote.
Consistently enough to be axiomatic. Conservatives are behind every effort to restrict voting, be it qualifications or method.
An apathetic electorate has been their key to success.
Plus some seriously committed issue-oriented people who think they're bringing about the Rapture (or preventing it). Again, strategically, they've done really well for representing minority interests.

There was a piece in the Washington Post today that blamed the conflation of entertainment with politics as ruinous to American politics, encouraging shallowness, stunts, and apathy. It's simplistic, but not altogether wrong.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... _p001_f001
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: "What Have Millennials Ruined Today?" Game, presented by Charleston Chew™

Post by Sparky »

That's a trend I would like to see gain momentum.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 12:14pm
revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What the right succeeded in convincing Xers was to either vote conservative or to dismiss voting altogether as validation of a corrupt system. Which, give them their due, that's a pretty clever strategy.
Consistently enough to be axiomatic. Conservatives are behind every effort to restrict voting, be it qualifications or method.
Plus some seriously committed issue-oriented people who think they're bringing about the Rapture (or preventing it). Again, strategically, they've done really well for representing minority interests.

There was a piece in the Washington Post today that blamed the conflation of entertainment with politics as ruinous to American politics, encouraging shallowness, stunts, and apathy. It's simplistic, but not altogether wrong.
Hello,

The need to be entertained, or rather the avoidance of doing something hard for the greater good, has permeated so much of society - especially in the US. Thinking about ideas for our future, considering politicians' programs and policies, teaching (and disciplining) your children - that's no fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 12:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

The need to be entertained, or rather the avoidance of doing something hard for the greater good, has permeated so much of society - especially in the US. Thinking about ideas for our future, considering politicians' programs and policies, teaching (and disciplining) your children - that's no fun.
Further to that, the idea that fun is about ease and being a spectator. Lots of stuff should be fun in the sense of being enjoyable and rewarding in ways beyond material compensation or status, but the concept of fun has been mutilated into being a blob.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The post wants me to pay...

But what about boxers or briefs, rock the vote and Vermont's own Tabitha Soren?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 1:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Stop the page from completely loading lets you read the whole thing.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 1:42pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

This is the part that resonated with me:
It has brought the worldview associated with sports-talk radio to politics; you’ve got a team and you want that team to win, and the other team is always the worst, and the refs are always unfairly treating your side. ...
And cheating in sports is to some degree accepted and often done with a nod and a wink.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It has brought the worldview associated with sports-talk radio to politics; you’ve got a team and you want that team to win, and the other team is always the worst, and the refs are always unfairly treating your side. ...
And cheating in sports is to some degree accepted and often done with a nod and a wink.
Complete with the rage-over-logic mentality of sports-talk radio.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
I'd recommend the link below to anyone who wants to avoid paywalls. It comes in handy, so bookmark it to your desktop or whatever. Scroll down a little and enter the url of the article you want to read into the second text box, then click on "search". Then click the link created.

https://archive.ph/
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 5:32pm
revbob wrote:
I'd recommend the link below to anyone who wants to avoid paywalls. It comes in handy, so bookmark it to your desktop or whatever. Scroll down a little and enter the url of the article you want to read into the second text box, then click on "search". Then click the link created.

Nice find, there's also an extension for Chrome that adds a button to the top right corner of your browser, click on it and the snapshot of the page yoiu want to read will appear.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bdgagipbia
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Another good reason to abolish sports. They condition the weak-minded to be worse citizens.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 5:49pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Nice find, there's also an extension for Chrome that adds a button to the top right corner of your browser, click on it and the snapshot of the page yoiu want to read will appear.

Yup, there’s a link to that Chrome extension at the top of the page I just mentioned. I’ve been too lazy to install the Chrome extension, so I just use my bookmark, but the extension is probably the easier way to go if you use Chrome.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Hello,

Thanks! This worked well!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 6:04pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 5:49pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yup, there’s a link to that Chrome extension at the top of the page I just mentioned. I’ve been too lazy to install the Chrome extension, so I just use my bookmark, but the extension is probably the easier way to go if you use Chrome.
Thanks, youse two!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:

Gotta say thanks again for this. I've been using the Chrome plug-in for it and it's been a godsend for getting around paywall bullshit.