Re: "What Have Millennials Ruined Today?" Game, presented by Charleston Chew™

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 9:10pm
Wolter wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 9:06pm
Fucking Sonny fucking Bono.
AHAHAHAHAHA!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 7:34pm
That said, I haven't been in a record store in years, so I can't speak to what's available in stores or prices.
It's a lot like the vinyl section at Goodwill used to be before vinyl became big again. Lots of top 40, very little else.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 12:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That said, I haven't been in a record store in years, so I can't speak to what's available in stores or prices.
It's a lot like the vinyl section at Goodwill used to be before vinyl became big again. Lots of top 40, very little else.
And Top 40 is the stuff least likely to appeal in the used market—once the trend has passed, who needs to finally get that Psy cd, right?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 12:12pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
And Top 40 is the stuff least likely to appeal in the used market—once the trend has passed, who needs to finally get that Psy cd, right?
Well there's a reason they're in the bin in the first place!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2023, 12:12pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Well there's a reason they're in the bin in the first place!
In its own way, the market determines true worth. Yes, the music of Michael Bolton can't be given away to anyone but the most deranged, deformed human beings. Those who acquire 154 do not easily abandon it, and if they do they expect to be well compensated.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 8:08pm
Yeah, Bandcamp is my ideal digital purchase/streaming platform. It still has the same fundamental problem all digital platforms do - you don't own a permanent, unchangeable copy of what you paid for - but they seem to try to be the most honest about what they're doing.
I was pretty nervous when Epic bought out Bandcamp. There were some union busting allegations earlier this year, but last I checked, I think they were able to push the union through. Still not a great sign that they allegedly asked a record label (Topshelf) to stop supporting the unionization.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 7:39pm
Yeah I'm actually pretty pro-CD these days. Lotta secret brickwalled masters and stuff that's just straight up not on streaming. I'm (very, very) slowly cataloging my cd collection and I try to make a note each time if the album is available to stream or not and for a few years now it's pretty consistent that about 1/3rd of my collection is unavailable to stream at all (let alone whether it's my preferred mastering, includes all tracks, is unedited, etc.)

There's nothing magical about CDs per se that makes them superior to streaming/download from a bit-to-bit perspective, but it is, as far as I can tell, very literally the only reliable solution to making sure the album you bought is uncompressed, unedited, and otherwise unfucked with by unscrupulous record companies and streaming platforms. Even digital purchases are subject to back-end shenanigans, with or without your knowledge.

Illegal downloads are all well and good, and I utilize them for sure, but you still run into a permanency issue. That download link or torrent magnet isnt super likely to be available one or two decades later. Some of my early CDs I bought almost 30 years ago and I can still pop them in and play them exactly as I bought them back then, as God and Satan intended.

All that said, those "look at the stack of CDs" posts I see are still extremely funny. Good for you kid, but was that actually hard for you to do?
I'm also increasingly pro-CD. Like you, it's a sound thing for me. The version of Sticky Fingers available on streaming platforms is compressed to audio hell, while my old school 1984 CBS CD is not. I'm not an audiophile, but I also don't want my music to give me a headache.

Also, collecting vinyl isn't as much fun as it used to be. It's harder and harder to find hidden treasures. I can honestly remember a time when I could find really cool things rummaging through the "value" bins, but now it's just like 20 copies of Neil Diamond's Beautiful Noise LP. I might be wrong about this, but could CD collecting be the next thing? I enjoy browsing the shelves of used CDs because I'm still finding cool things for pennies on the dollar.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So Gen Z don't want people to see their feet? A generation that reveals the hell out of their lives online but feet is the one unforgivable taboo?
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-gen- ... 96c06c0cc4

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 12:37pm
So Gen Z don't want people to see their feet? A generation that reveals the hell out of their lives online but feet is the one unforgivable taboo?
It's their place to set the boundaries which suit them.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, of course, but isn't it kind of a strange thing to collectively decide is verboten?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sure, of course, but isn't it kind of a strange thing to collectively decide is verboten?
Those fetishists are quite egregious in their aggressive pursuit, I understand, and it's a common ick. Makes sense to me.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Those fetishists are quite egregious in their aggressive pursuit, I understand, and it's a common ick. Makes sense to me.
It's just an odd inconsistency to me. They don't have an aversion to showing skin in public and sharing the same in photos. Girls wear short skirts and wear mid-riff shirts, for example, but no to toes? I can appreciate the logic, but the apparent exceptions then are what stand out as odd.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's just an odd inconsistency to me. They don't have an aversion to showing skin in public and sharing the same in photos. Girls wear short skirts and wear mid-riff shirts, for example, but no to toes? I can appreciate the logic, but the apparent exceptions then are what stand out as odd.
Are those young women incessentaly pestered online for shots of their tummies and knees though? The feet dudes are notorious for unwanted attention.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 2:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Are those young women incessentaly pestered online for shots of their tummies and knees though? The feet dudes are notorious for unwanted attention.
"Send nudes."

It would make sense if there was a general trend toward covering up, or even pushback to sharing photos of any kind, as a way of asserting power over their body as a whole, but I'm not seeing that. Because, again, this is a generation that has challenged the public/private distinction to a remarkable degree. I ain't judging them for how much they expose of their life to the world, visually or biographically—tho it ain't for me—but I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this as odd.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I never understood the foot fetish thing. Nor do I notice feet/footwear much in general. I could be married to the deer lady and never even notice her hooves.