Post by Kimmelweck »

gkbill wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 6:43pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 5:32pm
revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 1:35pm
The post wants me to pay...
I'd recommend the link below to anyone who wants to avoid paywalls. It comes in handy, so bookmark it to your desktop or whatever. Scroll down a little and enter the url of the article you want to read into the second text box, then click on "search". Then click the link created.

https://archive.ph/
Hello,

Thanks! This worked well!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 7:37pm
Gotta say thanks again for this. I've been using the Chrome plug-in for it and it's been a godsend for getting around paywall bullshit.
:kiss:

Glad you guys have found it useful. I stumbled on it a while ago and go back to it quite a bit.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: "What Have Millennials Ruined Today?" Game, presented by Charleston Chew™

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 7:00am
Classical music, too?
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... -obsession
This is really excellent. I spent a lot of time around 2008–2016 wracking my brain about how to get the youth interested in classical music. The answer seems obvious in retrospect, but of course social media wasn't as powerful back when I was considering it, meaning that diversifying audiences was pretty much impossible. This is a great development.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 3:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Classical music, too?
This is really excellent. I spent a lot of time around 2008–2016 wracking my brain about how to get the youth interested in classical music. The answer seems obvious in retrospect, but of course social media wasn't as powerful back when I was considering it, meaning that diversifying audiences was pretty much impossible. This is a great development.
Making it fun?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 3:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Classical music, too?
Making it fun?
A big part would be to shift the expectation from it being something good for you, that you have to earn and be deferential toward, to making it something people can enjoy on their own terms. Which is to say, remove it from its elitist position and all that that entails.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 3:54pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Classical music, too?
Making it fun?
A big part would be to shift the expectation from it being something good for you, that you have to earn and be deferential toward, to making it something people can enjoy on their own terms. Which is to say, remove it from its elitist position and all that that entails.
I said pretty much that to a guy who ran an Early/Baroque company and he never responded to me. I think he was offended that I'd try to make it accessible even though that's basically what he was asking me for my opinion on.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 4:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Classical music, too?
Making it fun?
I said pretty much that to a guy who ran an Early/Baroque company and he never responded to me. I think he was offended that I'd try to make it accessible even though that's basically what he was asking me for my opinion on.
Coincidentally, I'm delivering a lecture later this week about how high culture was established in the US in the late 19th c, turning stuff like Shakespeare from democratic and populist entertainment to something highbrow, and so much of it was rooted in establishing behaviours of deference and earning it. It was deliberately about repositioning audience behaviour in a way that would exclude, which then came to be naturalized as highbrow vs lowbrow.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 4:23pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:

Making it fun?
Coincidentally, I'm delivering a lecture later this week about how high culture was established in the US in the late 19th c, turning stuff like Shakespeare from democratic and populist entertainment to something highbrow, and so much of it was rooted in establishing behaviours of deference and earning it. It was deliberately about repositioning audience behaviour in a way that would exclude, which then came to be naturalized as highbrow vs lowbrow.
I will say, however, that a certain amount of deference is good, otherwise you're going to get people socializing throughout the whole damn thing. But that's just the deference that anybody should have for any art and respecting the people around them. Might be a reason kids haven't liked classical in the past, because they're not allowed to tiktok or whatever in the middle of a performance. Stupid kids.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 4:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Making it fun?
I will say, however, that a certain amount of deference is good, otherwise you're going to get people socializing throughout the whole damn thing. But that's just the deference that anybody should have for any art and respecting the people around them. Might be a reason kids haven't liked classical in the past, because they're not allowed to tiktok or whatever in the middle of a performance. Stupid kids.
I'd rather people feel they're allowed to be exuberant and interactive, to show their interest. Let people show their investment into the experience.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd rather people feel they're allowed to be exuberant and interactive, to show their interest. Let people show their investment into the experience.
I can tell you that even zoomer violinists aren't going to be very interested in playing for an audience that's talking throughout.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I can tell you that even zoomer violinists aren't going to be very interested in playing for an audience that's talking throughout.
That's on them. Rock bands are used to people talking while they play, so why not people in an orchestra?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 5:28pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's on them. Rock bands are used to people talking while they play, so why not people in an orchestra?
For one, it's quieter, so the sound gets drowned out much easier, especially with chamber music. I think if people want to talk, they can go to the bar or do it after the show—there's a matter of consideration for the people around you who don't want to have the thing they came to hear drowned out by the conversation of somebody next to them. I don't see much difference between this and people talking during a lecture, book reading, or movie.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 8:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

For one, it's quieter, so the sound gets drowned out much easier, especially with chamber music. I think if people want to talk, they can go to the bar or do it after the show—there's a matter of consideration for the people around you who don't want to have the thing they came to hear drowned out by the conversation of somebody next to them. I don't see much difference between this and people talking during a lecture, book reading, or movie.
All solid points. I suppose I'd argue to people to be less disruptive for social reasons rather than out of reverence for the performance. Ultimately, what I'm arguing for is that audiences shouldn't enter into a situation where they feel cowed by what is to come, to believe they have to prove themselves worthy somehow.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 9:16pm
Kory wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 8:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

All solid points. I suppose I'd argue to people to be less disruptive for social reasons rather than out of reverence for the performance. Ultimately, what I'm arguing for is that audiences shouldn't enter into a situation where they feel cowed by what is to come, to believe they have to prove themselves worthy somehow.
Yeah I definitely agree with that.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory is just trying to make it against the law for me to relentlessly boo him in concert. That's a Cancel Culture, people!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!