Late stage capitalism

Politics and other such topical creams.
Guest1

Re: Late stage capitalism

Post by Guest1 »

Inder wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 3:17pm
San Fransisco is a wealthy yuppie shithole dystopia. If you ever want to see wealth inequality in action, there you go. Not quite at the level of Hong Kong and people sleeping in cages but headed there...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Fuck me, how does anyone live in London? No chance to get a mortgage, no chance to save, just dead money after dead money and no opportunity to invest in your future. I spent some very happy years of my life there, but it was affordable then. I could easily have bought a flat or appartment if I'd wanted to. Or was any way business savvy at all.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 11:37am
Fuck me, how does anyone live in London? No chance to get a mortgage, no chance to save, just dead money after dead money and no opportunity to invest in your future. I spent some very happy years of my life there, but it was affordable then. I could easily have bought a flat or appartment if I'd wanted to. Or was any way business savvy at all.

Wow, that's pretty bad. Our daughter opted to move out of state a couple of years ago because she was paying so much in rent it was virtually impossible to save anything. In the state she moved to they have a house with a mortgage that's probably half what rent was here.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sparky wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 11:52am
Low Down Low wrote:

Wow, that's pretty bad. Our daughter opted to move out of state a couple of years ago because she was paying so much in rent it was virtually impossible to save anything. In the state she moved to they have a house with a mortgage that's probably half what rent was here.
I'm sure NYC is as bad and likely worse. I think there's no contest personally between living comfortably in the relative styx and existing in a shoebox in the city, but lots of people just don't have that choice. The life of commuter hell is only marginally more appealing, if at all.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 12:42pm
Sparky wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I'm sure NYC is as bad and likely worse. I think there's no contest personally between living comfortably in the relative styx and existing in a shoebox in the city, but lots of people just don't have that choice. The life of commuter hell is only marginally more appealing, if at all.
Hello,

When I lived in New York, Manhattan was (and still is) way too expensive. The outer boroughs used to be reasonable. I think Queens is still tolerable but parts of Brooklyn became way too hip. It's slowed somewhat from what people tell me. Then again, there's always North Jersey.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hello,

When I lived in New York, Manhattan was (and still is) way too expensive. The outer boroughs used to be reasonable. I think Queens is still tolerable but parts of Brooklyn became way too hip. It's slowed somewhat from what people tell me. Then again, there's always North Jersey.
I stay with family in Long Island City when I visit New York and it was still relatively untouched up to around 7-8 years ago but the gentrifiers had well and truly moved in by the time of my last visit so I imagine won't be long before most people are priced out of it. Some areas of Queens like Astoria and Jackson Heights are still quite nice from what I've seen.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 2:49pm
gkbill wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hello,

I stay with family in Long Island City when I visit New York and it was still relatively untouched up to around 7-8 years ago but the gentrifiers had well and truly moved in by the time of my last visit so I imagine won't be long before most people are priced out of it. Some areas of Queens like Astoria and Jackson Heights are still quite nice from what I've seen.
I lived in LIC for 4 years and had a very good time there. We had left Chelsea when out one bedroom hit $3000 a month. We left LIC in 2017 when our rent was about to hit... $3000 a month. I do miss Petey Burger.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 9:29pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 2:49pm
gkbill wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

I lived in LIC for 4 years and had a very good time there. We had left Chelsea when out one bedroom hit $3000 a month. We left LIC in 2017 when our rent was about to hit... $3000 a month. I do miss Petey Burger.
Spent the summer of 2017 there, my last visit to New York. Not sure of the exact figure but pretty sure my brother was paying more than that for what I'd consider merely a reasonably comfortable one bed apartment. He'd made a similar journey from the east village to LIC around 2012/13.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah not good. So many foreign investors buying up whole streets there. Putting rents up to stupid amounts and the prices of properties skyrocketing. I lived in Reading which is 30 miles from London and it's basically a mini London and the prices there are also nuts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 4:54am
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah not good. So many foreign investors buying up whole streets there. Putting rents up to stupid amounts and the prices of properties skyrocketing. I lived in Reading which is 30 miles from London and it's basically a mini London and the prices there are also nuts.
Vultures, pure and simple. Can't blame the market anyway, just doing what it's supposed to do. Supply and demand and all that rot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 4:54am
Low Down Low wrote:

This is the story in Seattle, too. A lot of places purchased and left empty.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ottawa's also gone insane. We've had our house for six years now and, yes, we've ploughed money into some upgrades, the value has more than doubled. Which, yay, great for us, but it's consigning huge, huge chunks of the population to renter status in an infrastructure designed for private ownership. Eventually something has to break.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

You all will be shocked to know that the cost of living and housing is very reasonable here in St. Louis!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:40am
You all will be shocked to know that the cost of living and housing is very reasonable here in St. Louis!
Shit we couldn't buy a toilet for this money here.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20210909-144837_Chrome.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:49am
JennyB wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 9:40am
Shit we couldn't buy a toilet for this money here.
But, on the downside...St. Louis.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy