Late stage capitalism

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Late stage capitalism

Post by Silent Majority »

It's genuinely starting to feel pretty damn late stage out there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

It's just one of those things, not much you can do about it really.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 3:52pm

So, if I'm following things, if we want babies not to starve, we should, I dunno, regulate the market?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 4:03pm
Low Down Low wrote:

So, if I'm following things, if we want babies not to starve, we should, I dunno, regulate the market?
What i took from the headline anyway was that if things are tight, as is inevitable for capitalism's losers, parents should feed themselves first and foremost as in this unregulated world, it's every man, woman and baby for hisherself.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 4:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

What i took from the headline anyway was that if things are tight, as is inevitable for capitalism's losers, parents should feed themselves first and foremost as in this unregulated world, it's every man, woman and baby for hisherself.
I recall a story about Ayn Rand arguing that it's foolish for parents to sacrifice themselves for their children, for if they die, the child has no one. Put yourself first and if the child manages to survive, they've earned it.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 4:42pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

d

I recall a story about Ayn Rand arguing that it's foolish for parents to sacrifice themselves for their children, for if they die, the child has no one. Put yourself first and if the child manages to survive, they've earned it.
Thinking about it, i wouldn't blame any parent in that situation making that choice, just nobody should be forced to make that choice in the first place, but i still lay any money that, counter to Randian theory, most parents would still end up putting their children first because that is the essence of being human.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 4:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Don't recall that as an episode I've actually seen, sounds like it might be a good 'un.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 4:42pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

d

Thinking about it, i wouldn't blame any parent in that situation making that choice, just nobody should be forced to make that choice in the first place, but i still lay any money that, counter to Randian theory, most parents would still end up putting their children first because that is the essence of being human.
We're hardwired to pass on our genes so that they outlive us, so it takes overruling that programming to say, yeah, tough shit, kid. Not impossible, but we are geared to sacrifice ourselves for our kids (i.e., our genes).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Can't disagree. I'm definitely geared towards sacrificing Dr Medulla for my kid.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 9:37pm
Can't disagree. I'm definitely geared towards sacrificing Dr Medulla for my kid.
I should warn you, I've murdered many, many parents in my time.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think Joe is stepping on very hazardous territory here. At the very least, i thought presidents were taught to leave this kind of radical heresy to their second terms.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 10:51am
I think Joe is stepping on very hazardous territory here. At the very least, i thought presidents were taught to leave this kind of radical heresy to their second terms.

I dunno, the bottom has always been the ones to build the economy, not the top. Now, Joe, talk about who deserves the fruits of that labour.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:00am
Low Down Low wrote:

I dunno, the bottom has always been the ones to build the economy, not the top. Now, Joe, talk about who deserves the fruits of that labour.
That would be truly rad! It's probably nothing more than coincidence but i can't help noticing this proclamation from Joe comes hot on the heels of Truss reaffirming her party's unbending devotion to the blessed creed. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a direct response tbh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 11:00am
Low Down Low wrote:

That would be truly rad! It's probably nothing more than coincidence but i can't help noticing this proclamation from Joe comes hot on the heels of Truss reaffirming her party's unbending devotion to the blessed creed. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a direct response tbh.
I suspect it’s more related to the upcoming Congressional elections, when Democrats all pretend to care about the working class.