Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 10:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 10:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 9:47am
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 9:42am

I remember a family holiday when i was around 9-10 and a night at the cinema. The overwhelming consensus was to go and see Star Wars with one exception - yours truly who insisted on seeing A Bridge Too Far. After some failed arm twisting, it was agreed my mum would accompany me to ABTF while everyone else went to Star Wars. So i guess my resistance started right at the beginning, though i was always and remain a bit of a war movie junkie.
But this is a *star* war movie. Not just any war movie, it has stars involved. Like, a bonus!

I had a manager once who told me that she had the choice between Grease and Star Wars, and chose Grease. We all responded that she could have seen both. Like, we all also saw Grease back in the day. At that moment, she should have concluded her staff did not respect her.
If it was truly a binary choice, i couldn't in all honesty vouchsafe that the 10 year old me wouldn't have been all over Grease in that instance.
Goddammit, I hated working for you! :angry:
How do you think i felt? I was a great head chef but you all showed me zero respect. And that day i scared you all shitless when i ribbed out that big dumb Italian guy only for you all to find out he was my friend and I'd bribed him to do it!
Respect is earned from behaviour, not title. Real leaders understand that. You didn't.

(The other thing about the manager in question, she always had a vague smell of puffed wheat to her. Tho that was probably on me as none of my co-workers could detect it. Maybe I was just looking for extra reasons to dislike her.)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Late stage capitalism

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 10:41am
I remember being told as a kid that we were going to the cinema and I could choose what we saw.

My choices were "The Empire Strikes Back" (I'd not seen Star Wars and never shown any interest in Star Wars) or Little Lord Fauntleroy.
For some reason, I chose Little Lord Fauntleroy - I still have no idea why and I've never seen it. I think I'd heard it used as an insult by a teacher. My Dad said that LLF was sold out so we had to see The Empire Strikes Back and I was bored out of my brain.

A few years later I realised it was my Dad who wanted to see TESB and he was assuming I would too. Like when someone gives you a birthday present but it's something they want
I'd have been all over LLF like a rash, stamping my feet up and down, demanding we go to see it even if sold out and making such a racket we're ejected from the cinema and head for home in a huff.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:08am
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 10:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 9:47am

But this is a *star* war movie. Not just any war movie, it has stars involved. Like, a bonus!

I had a manager once who told me that she had the choice between Grease and Star Wars, and chose Grease. We all responded that she could have seen both. Like, we all also saw Grease back in the day. At that moment, she should have concluded her staff did not respect her.
If it was truly a binary choice, i couldn't in all honesty vouchsafe that the 10 year old me wouldn't have been all over Grease in that instance.
How do you think i felt? I was a great head chef but you all showed me zero respect. And that day i scared you all shitless when i ribbed out that big dumb Italian guy only for you all to find out he was my friend and I'd bribed him to do it!
Respect is earned from behaviour, not title. Real leaders understand that. You didn't.

(The other thing about the manager in question, she always had a vague smell of puffed wheat to her. Tho that was probably on me as none of my co-workers could detect it. Maybe I was just looking for extra reasons to dislike her.)
True, i was never a boss and never aspired to be one. A boss once did unofficially appoint me as his deputy by leaving me in charge whenever he went away and fair to say, those periods did not become me. I hated my last boss so much i eventually summoned the resolve to quit (before it happened the other way round) and been my own boss (sorta) for the past 10 years or so with attendant significant loss of earnings but enhanced peace of mind.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:12am
oliver wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 10:41am
I remember being told as a kid that we were going to the cinema and I could choose what we saw.

My choices were "The Empire Strikes Back" (I'd not seen Star Wars and never shown any interest in Star Wars) or Little Lord Fauntleroy.
For some reason, I chose Little Lord Fauntleroy - I still have no idea why and I've never seen it. I think I'd heard it used as an insult by a teacher. My Dad said that LLF was sold out so we had to see The Empire Strikes Back and I was bored out of my brain.

A few years later I realised it was my Dad who wanted to see TESB and he was assuming I would too. Like when someone gives you a birthday present but it's something they want
I'd have been all over LLF like a rash, stamping my feet up and down, demanding we go to see it even if sold out and making such a racket we're ejected from the cinema and head for home in a huff.
:mrgreen:
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:19am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

True, i was never a boss and never aspired to be one. A boss once did unofficially appoint me as his deputy by leaving me in charge whenever he went away and fair to say, those periods did not become me. I hated my last boss so much i eventually summoned the resolve to quit (before it happened the other way round) and been my own boss (sorta) for the past 10 years or so with attendant significant loss of earnings but enhanced peace of mind.
My last job before returning back to school and then teaching, my manager told me that I could have gotten a promotion if I wanted because I was an unofficial team leader of my research group (i.e., I was the person people asked for feedback and assistance). I told her I hated being in charge of anything. I'm actually pretty good at it, but I hate it. (Probably doesn't help that I've come to loathe almost every boss I've ever had, which likely feeds into my not wanting to be in charge.) And, anyway, the company had a last-hired, first-fired policy, and when cutbacks were made, I was going to get chopped so I left to go back to school. Go up or go home!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:24am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My last job before returning back to school and then teaching, my manager told me that I could have gotten a promotion if I wanted because I was an unofficial team leader of my research group (i.e., I was the person people asked for feedback and assistance). I told her I hated being in charge of anything. I'm actually pretty good at it, but I hate it. (Probably doesn't help that I've come to loathe almost every boss I've ever had, which likely feeds into my not wanting to be in charge.) And, anyway, the company had a last-hired, first-fired policy, and when cutbacks were made, I was going to get chopped so I left to go back to school. Go up or go home!
Haven't loathed every boss but I've certainly carried an ingrained loathing of bosses as a species. By far the biggest collection of cunts i suffered under were the tragic, embittered Irish foremen i endured during my lost years labouring around London building sites. These power deranged fossils would see you swanning along and think, great, another little prick to take our frustration out on. By contrast, anytime i walked onto a new site, if the boss was English/Welsh/Scots, I instantly drew a huge sigh of relief.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Haven't loathed every boss but I've certainly carried an ingrained loathing of bosses as a species. By far the biggest collection of cunts i suffered under were the tragic, embittered Irish foremen i endured during my lost years labouring around London building sites. These power deranged fossils would see you swanning along and think, great, another little prick to take our frustration out on. By contrast, anytime i walked onto a new site, if the boss was English/Welsh/Scots, I instantly drew a huge sigh of relief.
My issue has always been bosses that don't realize that they have to model the behaviour they want from their people. If you're an asshole who goofs off and regularly fucks up, yeah, I don't really give a shit either. Do your job right and I'll know what's expected of me. I've carried that over into teaching—if I'm sloppy in the classroom, I think it sends a message to students that they shouldn't care either. Cynical profs who don't try and then complain about their students are in a self-reinforcing cycle. You're not going to get every—even most—students to care about your class to the level you want, but you do get more than a few to up their game.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 12:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My issue has always been bosses that don't realize that they have to model the behaviour they want from their people. If you're an asshole who goofs off and regularly fucks up, yeah, I don't really give a shit either. Do your job right and I'll know what's expected of me. I've carried that over into teaching—if I'm sloppy in the classroom, I think it sends a message to students that they shouldn't care either. Cynical profs who don't try and then complain about their students are in a self-reinforcing cycle. You're not going to get every—even most—students to care about your class to the level you want, but you do get more than a few to up their game.
If you have a healthy and fair-minded work environment I'd think that's exactly how it should be. But what i couldn't be dealing with (hypothetically) is a well paid boss on a juicy benefits package giving it large to minions on minimum wage and no benefits which is probably half the workforce. I could just never be that guy, never.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 12:22pm
If you have a healthy and fair-minded work environment I'd think that's exactly how it should be. But what i couldn't be dealing with (hypothetically) is a well paid boss on a juicy benefits package giving it large to minions on minimum wage and no benefits which is probably half the workforce. I could just never be that guy, never.
Yeah, I agree. That's another reason I couldn't be a boss—I'd know the staff would be working just as hard but making less. That'd generate a lot of guilt in me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 1:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, I agree. That's another reason I couldn't be a boss—I'd know the staff would be working just as hard but making less. That'd generate a lot of guilt in me.
I wouldn't last long anyway, assuming i somehow managed to squirm my way to a position of power, as I would not have it in me to admonish those low-paid worker ants not deemed to be pulling their weight. Outcome: sacked for not being conducive to the "bottom line".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 1:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 1:00pm
Low Down Low wrote:
I wouldn't last long anyway, assuming i somehow managed to squirm my way to a position of power, as I would not have it in me to admonish those low-paid worker ants not deemed to be pulling their weight. Outcome: sacked for not being conducive to the "bottom line".
I was thinking about that the other day when I had drinks with a former co-worker who turned down a chance to go into management. Part of the job was putting in contract bids and squeezing productivity out of the lower lifeforms. I'd be tossed within a couple months if I didn't quit first.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I didn't know where to post this so I'll throw it up here.

https://archive.ph/jaPms

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 8:12pm
Hello,

Good. I refuse to use them at my local grocery store, especially after a big expansion of them a few months ago, because it clearly means fewer people employed.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 8:47pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Good. I refuse to use them at my local grocery store, especially after a big expansion of them a few months ago, because it clearly means fewer people employed.
Hello,

Self-checkouts are an example of retailers abusing stats. Retailers will put out stats suggesting customers prefer self-checkout to humans - well, sure when you put up 12 self-check outs and leave 1 human - guess which has the longer line?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 9:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 8:47pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

Self-checkouts are an example of retailers abusing stats. Retailers will put out stats suggesting customers prefer self-checkout to humans - well, sure when you put up 12 self-check outs and leave 1 human - guess which has the longer line?
Precisely. They rig the game. As much as I prefer shopping with minimal interaction—less so because I don't like people but because I don't find shopping an enjoyable experience and want it over with quickly—I feel obliged to go to real checkouts even if I have to wait. I know what retailers are doing and don't want to aid them.