Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Brexit what Brexit!

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 6:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 6:43pm
Beginning to wonder if she isn’t smarter than we give her credit for.
I don't think anyone involved in this clusterfuck is going to be confidently filling out a Mensa application.
Politics never been that much of a magnet for the best and brightest, though, has it? I was implying a very low bar.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 6:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 6:43pm
Beginning to wonder if she isn’t smarter than we give her credit for.
I don't think anyone involved in this clusterfuck is going to be confidently filling out a Mensa application.
Politics never been that much of a magnet for the best and brightest, though, has it? I was implying a very low bar.
Two very smart guys wbo come to mind who made it to the big chair are Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Which, mind you, didn't stop them from doing abhorrent things. But as a rule, yeah, it doesn't seem like we're awash with smart and moral people. Hard not to think that the system does its best to bar those people, or corrupt and make them stupid if they ascend.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Am I right in thinking you tend to get people moving into high office in the US after being successful in other careers, as opposed to this side of the world where the trend seems more towards the careerist politician like the current pm who is more likely than not to have been publicly schooled and been active in his/her party’s youth wing?

Meanwhile, back in my own native land people are beginning to think that their oft derided public representatives are maybe not as bad as often made out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 8:17pm
Politics never been that much of a magnet for the best and brightest, though, has it?
True.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 8:54pm
Am I right in thinking you tend to get people moving into high office in the US after being successful in other careers, as opposed to this side of the world where the trend seems more towards the careerist politician like the current pm who is more likely than not to have been publicly schooled and been active in his/her party’s youth wing?
Cabinet secretaries are often drawn from the private sector, but presidents normally have a track record, often as governor of a state. Trump is the first president without governent experience since Eisenhower. Before that, it might be Grant in 1868.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 9:21pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 8:54pm
Cabinet secretaries are often drawn from the private sector, but presidents normally have a track record, often as governor of a state. Trump is the first president without governent experience since Eisenhower. Before that, it might be Grant in 1868.
Appointing people on the basis of their knowledge and expertise has just always seemed a fundamentally sound idea to me, though trump does seem to take an almost perverse satisfaction in subverting the process. Where i come from cabinet positions get filled more often than not on the basis of who supported whom in the last leadership heave and you end up, say, with a finance minister who has no track record in business or a culture minister who has never read a book in his or her life.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:09am
:lol: It is a lemonade from lemons thing, but there is value in seeing so many self-described serious and competent leaders exposing themselves as total boobs. In politics, it's good to be loved and feared, but never to be laughed at.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:15am
Low Down Low wrote:
:lol: It is a lemonade from lemons thing, but there is value in seeing so many self-described serious and competent leaders exposing themselves as total boobs. In politics, it's good to be loved and feared, but never to be laughed at.
Why we ever put any faith in these assholes is beyond all rational thinking.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:15am
Low Down Low wrote:
Why we ever put any faith in these assholes is beyond all rational thinking.
The democratic parliament system works when politicians are some of the smartest minds in the country however nowadays that is far from reality. No one with half a brain would become an MP and as someone pointed out they are all career politicians who wouldn’t get a job making tea in a real world corporate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -tells-mps

This is about principle and solemn duty and respect, people! It's like a bunch of grifters getting together and trying to figure out how to walk away with each other's cash.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 10:49am
Yep just about all she is now worth is peanuts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

gjge
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's kinda funny/weird that given no agreement on a way forward, the status quo isn't the default result.