Re: Corbyn

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 1:53pm
revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 1:00pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 4:03pm
My social media was full of support for Corbyn since the election was announced so trying to understand how he lost so badly.
Did people put Brexit before anything else?
Was it the fear or Labour doing a U turn on Brexit and thereby going back to square one?
Im genuinely curious what you mean by this. I eschew social media for a number of reasons (IMCT excepted), so what constitutes someone's social media feed, other than what I presume to be your like minded friends/family. Is it all of these people expressing their own ideas and beliefs or does other stuff creep in too?
There's the famous but apocryphal story of the film critic Pauline Kael expressing confusion at how Nixon won in 1972 because she didn't know anybody who had voted for him.
Well its also my understanding that social media feeds (perhaps just Facebook) tend to be rife with algorithms that produce or perhaps promote what is believed to be something that a person is likely to enjoy based upon the data that has been collected on them.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
My social media was full of support for Corbyn since the election was announced so trying to understand how he lost so badly.
Was it the fear or Labour doing a U turn on Brexit and thereby going back to square one?
Im genuinely curious what you mean by this. I eschew social media for a number of reasons (IMCT excepted), so what constitutes someone's social media feed, other than what I presume to be your like minded friends/family. Is it all of these people expressing their own ideas and beliefs or does other stuff creep in too?
There's the famous but apocryphal story of the film critic Pauline Kael expressing confusion at how Nixon won in 1972 because she didn't know anybody who had voted for him.
Well its also my understanding that social media feeds (perhaps just Facebook) tend to be rife with algorithms that produce or perhaps promote what is believed to be something that a person is likely to enjoy based upon the data that has been collected on them.
Customized newsfeeds and the like. I was thinking more of the "what all my Facebook friends think" thing.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:30pm
revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Customized newsfeeds and the like. I was thinking more of the "what all my Facebook friends think" thing.
To Revbob’s point I was referring to posts on Facebook and Instagram by people I know or comments etc made by people I know on other people’s posts.
So this is nothing to do with algorithms feeding me news (BTW Ben Elton’s book Outraged is a must read for this reason).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:45pm
(BTW Ben Elton’s book Outraged is a must read for this reason).
Identity Crisis? It looks like it has an appealing premise. If I find an audio version, I'll give it a whirl.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:59pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 2:45pm
(BTW Ben Elton’s book Outraged is a must read for this reason).
Identity Crisis? It looks like it has an appealing premise. If I find an audio version, I'll give it a whirl.
Ah yes that’s it - brilliant and right on point.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 3:58pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 3:50pm
Heston wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 3:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 3:38pm

I think you answer part of it yourself there. Expressing support on social media is great but it doesn't count in the ballot box. The young, because they largely avoid the written press, quite like corbyn and find him relatable, but outside of london the lazy idlers wont go out and vote. The old need to be angry at something and are much obliged to the media for telling them who to be angry against.