A good time to stay off of social media...

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

A good time to stay off of social media...

Post by WestwayKid »

Trump-ites are losing their minds right now. I have friends who support him and their news feeds are full of pathetic looking shows of support. "I Support Trump 100%. Share If You Do" and so on. It makes my skin crawl, but I also don't feel like getting into it with anyone...so it feels like a good time to stay off of social media.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A good time to stay off of social media...

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 9:52am
Trump-ites are losing their minds right now. I have friends who support him and their news feeds are full of pathetic looking shows of support. "I Support Trump 100%. Share If You Do" and so on. It makes my skin crawl, but I also don't feel like getting into it with anyone...so it feels like a good time to stay off of social media.
This is part of my daily routine.

What I had to laugh at the most was when some Republican compared Trump to Jesus. Does this mean Jesus has fallen several notches in the eyes of these Republicans? Or has their reverence for Trump become so great that in their eyes he is their new messiah?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:24am
WestwayKid wrote:

What I had to laugh at the most was when some Republican compared Trump to Jesus. Does this mean Jesus has fallen several notches in the eyes of these Republicans? Or has their reverence for Trump become so great that in their eyes he is their new messiah?
They ultimately don’t care because he makes the people they hate sad, and that has always been the depth and breadth of their religion.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:31am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

They ultimately don’t care because he makes the people they hate sad, and that has always been the depth and breadth of their religion.
Reminds me of a news story I saw from years ago, an evangelical from, like, Oklahoma or Kansas who explained that he was a Christian because he hates the same things Jesus hates. I would guess almost the entirety of Trump's base support him not for the things they both aspire to but hating the same things. Or, rather, beyond some kind of abstract desire for a fully white America, does his base actually have any political hopes? It's all rooted in what and who they hate.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If you don't believe your life can get any better, ensuring the people you despise have their lives made worse is the next best option, I guess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:38am
Wolter wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:31am
revbob wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Reminds me of a news story I saw from years ago, an evangelical from, like, Oklahoma or Kansas who explained that he was a Christian because he hates the same things Jesus hates. I would guess almost the entirety of Trump's base support him not for the things they both aspire to but hating the same things. Or, rather, beyond some kind of abstract desire for a fully white America, does his base actually have any political hopes? It's all rooted in what and who they hate.
It’s pure resentment as politics. I don’t care if you step on my foot as long as you also step on the other guy’s throat.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:40am
It’s pure resentment as politics. I don’t care if you step on my foot as long as you also step on the other guy’s throat.
Flex wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 10:39am
If you don't believe your life can get any better, ensuring the people you despise have their lives made worse is the next best option, I guess.
And that's where the comparisons with original fascism and Nazism fall apart. Whatever else those movements (plus Bolshevism) were, they were optimistic, even utopian. They would solve history's problems by exterminating the diseased parts of society. Trumpism is just fascism stripped to its most vulgar essence of brutalism and xenophobia and rage. That's the weird thing about Trump supporters—there's no real purpose to their rage and violence beyond the therapeutic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
What I had to laugh at the most was when some Republican compared Trump to Jesus.
Barry Loudermilk from GA. The same GA that elected someone to the Science Committee who says evolution is lies from the pits of hell. The same GA where Brian Kemp was Sec of State overseeing a Governor election that he was running in. And he just so happened to win with a tiny margin and tons of reports of voter suppression. The very same place that put stickers in science books saying 'evolution is just a theory'
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

on social media i have one friend, but it's really the brother of a friend, who loves Trump, and another who hates Hillary so much that he supports Trump by default, but other than that my whole feed is Kale-eatin, Prius-drivin, Farmer's Market-shoppin, Short Sleeves in December-wearin Californians.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I do find some humor in seeing people rise up to defend someone like Trump.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble