Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Politics and other such topical creams.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Getting my local government feet wet tonight...

Post by matedog »

Congrats on moving forward. What is the incumbent's position, politically? You may have mentioned it earlier, but I missed it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 3:39pm
Flex wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 2:14pm
Great work man! You and Dee may want to talk about informally running as an "equity slate" or something, at least to supporters. I assume voters get to select 2 candidates in the election, that way you wouldn't cannibalize each other's support bases.
Voters do get to select 2 candidates. Mary C also ran as an equity candidate, though she is a member of a rival equity group (which is crazy that there are rival equity groups in a community this small).

D had mentioned that 2nd place Mary had told her she would drop out because she feels a POC should win the seat. I really don't see that happening. I think Mary was blowing smoke on that comment. She's run unsuccessfully 4 times and this is probably her best shot. I just can't see her dropping out.

I also don't think it makes sense for me to drop out as I assume D and I will be getting votes from the same base. If I'm not there, my votes will go to either Joe or Mary.
You're totally our Nixon. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Election Result.png
Election Result.png (19.35 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Well, the results are in and I did not earn a spot on the board. It was a good experience 95% of the time. I'm glad I did it and I have no regrets. I might even do it again (someday).

Looking at the numbers, it seems clear people either voted for Mary Grogan and Joe Crapitto or myself and Diannia Merriett. This makes sense as the top 2 are older white conservatives (who tend to do well in low turnout elections) and myself and Diannia were younger, more progressive candidates (Diannia is African-American).

I did pick up a spot from the primary, 3rd instead of 4th and for my first time running I'm happy to have done as well as I did.

On a personal note, I'm glad to be done with: checking on yard signs, handing out campaign literature, fielding phone calls and emails, creating social media content, and on and on and on. It was defintely a lot more work than I anticipated, but I'm taking away quite a few really great memories.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 12:25pm
Election Result.png

Well, the results are in and I did not earn a spot on the board. It was a good experience 95% of the time. I'm glad I did it and I have no regrets. I might even do it again (someday).

Looking at the numbers, it seems clear people either voted for Mary Grogan and Joe Crapitto or myself and Diannia Merriett. This makes sense as the top 2 are older white conservatives (who tend to do well in low turnout elections) and myself and Diannia were younger, more progressive candidates (Diannia is African-American).

I did pick up a spot from the primary, 3rd instead of 4th and for my first time running I'm happy to have done as well as I did.

On a personal note, I'm glad to be done with: checking on yard signs, handing out campaign literature, fielding phone calls and emails, creating social media content, and on and on and on. It was defintely a lot more work than I anticipated, but I'm taking away quite a few really great memories.
Bummer, but that's still a respectable turnout! Any interesting highlights/lowlights you'd care to share?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Great job, Westway. It seems like you did everything you could and that's all you can do at the end of the day. I agree with you about the vote totals and the split voting - at a certain point their are demographic factors that come into play and no amount of campaigning it gonna convince those 500 old whit republicans to vote for a progressive voice. It's actually really, really striking how uniformly the vote was split between the top 2 conservative candidates and the 2 progressive candidates.

And yeah, one of the most satisfying moments of any campaign is chucking the fucking yard signs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 12:27pm
WestwayKid wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 12:25pm
Election Result.png

Bummer, but that's still a respectable turnout! Any interesting highlights/lowlights you'd care to share?
The lowlights were having to deal with people who asked questions like would I keep Antifa out of our schools. It was also not fun handing out lit when it was 10 degrees back in early February.

Lots of highlights. Picking up yard signs with my son back in January. It was really cool seeing my name around town. I really enjoyed the creative part of the campaign: designing yard signs and campaign literature, coming up with thoughtful responses to questions. I also enjoyed just getting to work alongside my friends and family. So many people pitched in.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sorry that you didn't get the result you (and we) wanted. Next time, bring in the IMCT Terror Squad. We don't bust kneecaps, but we can ruin conversations that make people wish they'd never been born.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Sorry about the outcome of the election, but good for you for giving it a shot. My observation is lots of people complain about how things are run, but very few are willing to step up and try to make it better.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Clearly you'll need to sort out that Antifa problem you have there if you want to win the old racist vote.

But seriously good job.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sorry that the outcome wasn't what you had hoped for, and I'm sorry for your school district, too. You would have been a great addition to the school board!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy