A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Politics and other such topical creams.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Post by Silent Majority »

We've nothing to gain by my being in this thread. Stay well, friends.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Saturday overnight was quiet at the Spiff mansion.

The long-suffering Mrs. Spiff and I live in a residential area between the two downtown areas, and so there was no street action here.

The closest action was in an adjacent neighborhood, the Midway area, which is a commercial/residential mix where a Target store got looted.

The only concern I had last night was that burglars would take advantage of the cops being busy elsewhere and that our house or garage might be broken into. The gas station down the street had a break in a few nights earlier.

That was my only concern, especially because a call to 911 would have been no help at all, what with news reports saying our emergency services call centers had hour-long wait times.

Stayed up to 11 p.m. watching the live coverage on the TV, and went to bed satisfied that the police actions had dispersed, safely, for the most part, the people who decided to demonstrate after curfew.

Saw a few fires being lit -- 2-3 cars, debris -- but not any, or very little, window smashing.

So, the true demonstrators showed their resolve, and the cops/military did not overreact for the most part.

One man was found dead this morning next to a burned out car.

But, no nervous cops firing live ammo at the protesters yelling at them. Although a few people threw rocks and stuff at the cops, they were a small fraction of the crowd. They got tear gassed and received some flash bombs, mostly deployed only when needed, but a few people took some collateral damage they didn't deserve.

So, for now, I'm happy with how things played out, and hope for more calm tonight and going forward.

I'm appreciative of how our governor and the two mayors of the Twin Cities on Saturday afternoon spelled out their reasons for putting last night's plan in action.

All three of them used the word "murder" to describe George Floyd's death on Monday.

And Governor Walz wisely went to neighboring states and got help from their national guard units, instead of asking for federal Military Police.

First, the neighboring guard units arrived a lot sooner, and second, by taking that route, it robbed Trump from taking any credit for calming things down.

Spiff out.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Thanks for the first hand info, Spiff. Stay safe.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

You're welcome.

When I have time to sort out all that is happening, I'll try to provide a little more analysis.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Glad you're staying safe and secure, Spiff. And thanks for the on the ground update.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah Spiff you, your family and Muppet be careful.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Spiff wrote:
31 May 2020, 10:05am
Saturday overnight was quiet at the Spiff mansion.

The long-suffering Mrs. Spiff and I live in a residential area between the two downtown areas, and so there was no street action here.

The closest action was in an adjacent neighborhood, the Midway area, which is a commercial/residential mix where a Target store got looted.

The only concern I had last night was that burglars would take advantage of the cops being busy elsewhere and that our house or garage might be broken into. The gas station down the street had a break in a few nights earlier.

That was my only concern, especially because a call to 911 would have been no help at all, what with news reports saying our emergency services call centers had hour-long wait times.

Stayed up to 11 p.m. watching the live coverage on the TV, and went to bed satisfied that the police actions had dispersed, safely, for the most part, the people who decided to demonstrate after curfew.

Saw a few fires being lit -- 2-3 cars, debris -- but not any, or very little, window smashing.

So, the true demonstrators showed their resolve, and the cops/military did not overreact for the most part.

One man was found dead this morning next to a burned out car.

But, no nervous cops firing live ammo at the protesters yelling at them. Although a few people threw rocks and stuff at the cops, they were a small fraction of the crowd. They got tear gassed and received some flash bombs, mostly deployed only when needed, but a few people took some collateral damage they didn't deserve.

So, for now, I'm happy with how things played out, and hope for more calm tonight and going forward.

I'm appreciative of how our governor and the two mayors of the Twin Cities on Saturday afternoon spelled out their reasons for putting last night's plan in action.

All three of them used the word "murder" to describe George Floyd's death on Monday.

And Governor Walz wisely went to neighboring states and got help from their national guard units, instead of asking for federal Military Police.

First, the neighboring guard units arrived a lot sooner, and second, by taking that route, it robbed Trump from taking any credit for calming things down.

Spiff out.
Thanks Spiff and everyone else for update posting. I watch the news and read the papers but hearing it from you guys I get some kind of understanding of what is really happening to real people.
Stay safe.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

No tears for fascists.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 May 2020, 8:23pm
No tears for fascists.

Well, on the positive side, she could have been beaten or merely shot. But she's light skinned so that probably wouldn't look so great (says the ghost of Justine Damond).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Another official text about the extended curfew tonight. Cool. Not like I had any plans anyway.

BostonBeaneater

The right wing is a collection of boot lickers.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
31 May 2020, 9:18pm
The right wing is a collection of boot lickers.
No kidding? Gee thanks, Capt. Obvious :mrgreen:

BostonBeaneater

I figured last night would be a bit of a show. It was a hot Saturday night and this thing was burning a bit, right? But now it's Sunday and it's... chaos! You'd figure this would be the calm down night and the club is still rocking.

BostonBeaneater

Funnies:

BostonBeaneater

Ill advised choice: