A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 2:17pm
I want to kill every single one of my neighbors who was intent on shooting off fireworks until 3:00 am. I'm so glad you wanted to prove to our stupid suburb that your a patriot by traumatizing my dog and keeping my kid awake. Solid work.
Are fireworks legal there? They are not legal here but the supply seems endless. We're in an urban area and the endless fireworks seem to be a form of protest for the youths. They have been inside for months and have no prospects for the summer, the black/latino people around here was hit especially hard and it seems every family has lost someone, and a solid percentage of Americans really wants to keep them down. So they've been like, "Fuck it, we're gonna blow some shit up!". I get it. What else do kids have to look forward to? That said, it starts at 8pm and goes until 3am every damn night.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-06 at 2.37.23 PM.jpeg

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 2:38pm
JennyB wrote:
I want to kill every single one of my neighbors who was intent on shooting off fireworks until 3:00 am. I'm so glad you wanted to prove to our stupid suburb that your a patriot by traumatizing my dog and keeping my kid awake. Solid work.
Are fireworks legal there? They are not legal here but the supply seems endless. We're in an urban area and the endless fireworks seem to be a form of protest for the youths. They have been inside for months and have no prospects for the summer, the black/latino people around here was hit especially hard and it seems every family has lost someone, and a solid percentage of Americans really wants to keep them down. So they've been like, "Fuck it, we're gonna blow some shit up!". I get it. What else do kids have to look forward to? That said, it starts at 8pm and goes until 3am every damn night.
Yeah, this isn't the case in Chesterfield, MO.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 3:41pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
JennyB wrote:
At least you have the Butterfly House.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 7:07pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 3:41pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
JennyB wrote:
At least you have the Butterfly House.
Yeah.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater

Color me not surprised.

Police: 'Umbrella Man' was a white supremacist trying to incite George Floyd rioting

https://www.startribune.com/police-umbr ... 571932272/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/st-louis ... 00c3ac3c3c
Because of course they'd be invited to speak. Very much the poster monsters of the American right.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
Had a really mild summer until a pretty rough heat wave the last five days or so. So naturally the fireworks that settled down for the last weeks or so are back with a vengeance.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 11:13am
Because of course they'd be invited to speak. Very much the poster monsters of the American right.
Not those guys again. And that Trump statement is totally insane.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
My former boss's son (Gabe Fleisher) quoted in the article!

Also, I hate these people for making STL look worse than it already does.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 1:08pm
I hate these people for making STL look worse than it already does.
They aren't. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
$1.15 million gets you a mansion in STL? That can't get you a 3/2 around here.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep. And those are the genuine mansions. You can get a McMansion for even cheaper. There are more expensive areas though.
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 2:21pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep. And those are the genuine mansions. You can get a McMansion for even cheaper. There are more expensive areas though.
What defines a mansion ( or McMansion)?

matedog

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 3:42pm
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wikipedia's definition of McMansion seems accurate: McMansion is a pejorative term for a large "mass-produced" dwelling. Real mansions tend to be older, grander, with expensive/fine details. McMansions are very large, came in vogue in the 80's/90's (that's my understanding) and tend to be much more cheaply produced. They are also a lot more affordable than a real mansion. So people who want massive homes without the cost of an early 20th century Victorian or something have that option.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 3:42pm
JennyB wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
McMansions are more aspirational. They are usually more cookie cutter and tend to take both architectural and material shortcuts. Here's an example of a typical McMansion (different roof lines, different window styles, unnecessary turrets, etc):

Got a Rake? Sure!