A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Politics and other such topical creams.
Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Post by Spiff »

Flex wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 1:13am
All streets should simply be named after all non-racist daredevil dirtbike stuntpeople
Add in nekkid, and that's me!

Spiff Avenue has a real nice ring to it, eh?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:00pm
Flex wrote:
All streets should simply be named after all non-racist daredevil dirtbike stuntpeople

I'd strut like Travolta down that street. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

So the town of Cromwell want to chsnge their name because of Oliver Cromwell actions in Ireland / slavery etc..
All valid points but all this is diluting and moving away from the Reason for the BLM protest.
Real change where it is needed now will unfortunately get lost lost through the cracks again.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:05pm
So the town of Cromwell want to chsnge their name because of Oliver Cromwell actions in Ireland / slavery etc..
All valid points but all this is diluting and moving away from the Reason for the BLM protest.
Real change where it is needed now will unfortunately get lost lost through the cracks again.
Yeah certainly long overdue dumping that asshole but he's dead and there are more pressing matters.

Was at a demonstration the other day and some speakers were going beyond the basic premise which was anti-racist and BLM. Not that I didn't agree but we need to build a broader coalition. Some people are firmly entrenched in the racist camp and that can usually only be mitigated thru their demise. There are in the meantime those who for whatever reason are undecided, need to be educated and those people need to basically have their mind made up for them. They are scared and timid and will naturally retreat to their own safety if that seems the safe choice for them. Its one thing for the 65 yo retiree to accept that racism is a problem that needs to be addressed and a whole other ball game for them to say we need to overthrow capitalism. They arent gonna see the link between the two. Let's not scare them off. I guess I sound a bit like a stickie arguing for stages but it is almost always the white people who want to attach various other (worthwhile) causes to things like this that provides the other side an opportunity to invalidate the overall anti racist cause

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Spiff wrote:
Flex wrote:

Hell yeah
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 11:28pm
Spiff wrote:
Flex wrote:

Hell yeah
I’d like to gallivant up Spiff Promenade.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yeah certainly long overdue dumping that asshole but he's dead and there are more pressing matters.

Was at a demonstration the other day and some speakers were going beyond the basic premise which was anti-racist and BLM. Not that I didn't agree but we need to build a broader coalition. Some people are firmly entrenched in the racist camp and that can usually only be mitigated thru their demise. There are in the meantime those who for whatever reason are undecided, need to be educated and those people need to basically have their mind made up for them. They are scared and timid and will naturally retreat to their own safety if that seems the safe choice for them. Its one thing for the 65 yo retiree to accept that racism is a problem that needs to be addressed and a whole other ball game for them to say we need to overthrow capitalism. They arent gonna see the link between the two. Let's not scare them off. I guess I sound a bit like a stickie arguing for stages but it is almost always the white people who want to attach various other (worthwhile) causes to things like this that provides the other side an opportunity to invalidate the overall anti racist cause
The Italian Marxist theorist Antonio Gramsci, while jailed by Mussolini in the 20s, wrote about why the predicted worker's revolution never happened. He argued that, in part, it was that the intellectual ground hadn't been properly achieved yet. One can successfully launch a military seizure of power, toppling the govt, but if the people in whose name its for aren't intellectually on board, it will ultimately fail. So a successful revolution takes years of work educating people as to why the conventional stance is not in their interests, while the counter is. Arguably, this is why civil rights stalled in the 1960s. If white people had by the 60s come around to the sense of desegregation in schools and the vote and all that, but weren't on board regarding de facto segregation in residence and employment, so when the riots exploded white liberals fled to Nixon. Ironically, the right has done a much better job at practicing Gramsci's argument than the left, convincing so many of the working class that their interests align with the wealthy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 6:21am
revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 8:37pm
101Walterton wrote:

The Italian Marxist theorist Antonio Gramsci, while jailed by Mussolini in the 20s, wrote about why the predicted worker's revolution never happened. He argued that, in part, it was that the intellectual ground hadn't been properly achieved yet. One can successfully launch a military seizure of power, toppling the govt, but if the people in whose name its for aren't intellectually on board, it will ultimately fail. So a successful revolution takes years of work educating people as to why the conventional stance is not in their interests, while the counter is. Arguably, this is why civil rights stalled in the 1960s. If white people had by the 60s come around to the sense of desegregation in schools and the vote and all that, but weren't on board regarding de facto segregation in residence and employment, so when the riots exploded white liberals fled to Nixon. Ironically, the right has done a much better job at practicing Gramsci's argument than the left, convincing so many of the working class that their interests align with the wealthy.
As always you present things in perhaps a more coherent and scholarly way than I.

Ive heard it argued by some that the "American Revolution " didnt have a majority of the citizens on its side. But it isnt the best model for systematic change.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 7:12am
As always you present things in perhaps a more coherent and scholarly way than I.
The colloquial term is NERD!
Ive heard it argued by some that the "American Revolution " didnt have a majority of the citizens on its side. But it isnt the best model for systematic change.
That period isn't anywhere close to my speciality, but I do know that the revolution was "sold" as a conservative action, responding to the radical violation of traditional rights by the Crown. It was supposed to be a restoration, not a radical transformation. The experience of war and propaganda altered that, but in terms of getting people on board, it was the mother country that was considered radical.

BostonBeaneater

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Not an ICP fan but this is cool

BostonBeaneater

BostonBeaneater

So 'they' had a pro-police rally at the State House in Boston today. It was a small crowd with many of them sport nazi/white nationalist t shirts and tattoos. Then it rained. Then they got lost on Beacon Hill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:46pm
So 'they' had a pro-police rally at the State House in Boston today. It was a small crowd with many of them sport nazi/white nationalist t shirts and tattoos. Then it rained. Then they got lost on Beacon Hill.

I kinda like the little touch with the flaccid flag. Better if it were the stars and bars, but you can't have everything.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 6:41pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 5:46pm

I kinda like the little touch with the flaccid flag. Better if it were the stars and bars, but you can't have everything.
Pretty close to touching the ground too.