A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Politics and other such topical creams.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: A Long Hot Summer begins (a dumpster fire chat)

Post by tepista »

tepista wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 7:29pm
they kept us home from work yesterday, but not today. My neighborhood has 2000 people in it, so I leave work in an hour, no idea how I'mm getting home.
I snuck in through the backdoor, easy peasy Korngold
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 8:42pm
tepista wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 7:29pm
they kept us home from work yesterday, but not today. My neighborhood has 2000 people in it, so I leave work in an hour, no idea how I'mm getting home.
I snuck in through the backdoor, easy peasy Korngold
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Let’s see who starts the riot. My bet is on the white kid in body armor.
Attachments
9547D2BB-7DCF-42CA-95D2-220121ED88A6.jpeg
9547D2BB-7DCF-42CA-95D2-220121ED88A6.jpeg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
899FFE5E-E388-446C-9B02-34C5021C0A2D.jpeg
899FFE5E-E388-446C-9B02-34C5021C0A2D.jpeg (117.6 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Spiff wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 11:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 7:44am
revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 7:23am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 9:39pm
Spiff wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 9:25pm

...it's because cops are given a greater, a much greater, benefit of the doubt.

It means they can lawfully kill you if they merely perceive you as a treat, even if you weren't a threat and when they judged you as a (mistaken) threat, they weren't doing so by a "reasonable" standard, which I -- a non-cop -- would be judged by.

The reasoning is that cops have to make split-second decisions and are generally assumed to be trying to do the right thing.

That's why it's tough to send them to jail.

I'll add that policing in the States have become increasingly militant in my lifetime. After 9/11 there was so much public money pumped into 'security' and police forces have been equipped with military equipment, trained in military tactics, and staffed by our mentally damaged veterans. It's a shitty situation.
Yeah this is a big part of the problem, the militarization of the police.

When you dress, equip and train a cop to be a soldier and perhaps even recruit from their ranks you have soldiers. What are soldiers traditionally used for and trained to do?
It reflects and encourages a switch in mentality. A traditional police officer sees him/herself as a part of the community, moving about comfortably. The soldier cop treats the terrain as enemy territory, others as potential enemies. Strip cops of the body armour and weaponry and you bring them back down to the level of citizen.
Others have listed the reasons why this mentality has taken hold, and I'll add one more that is a major factor.

Unlike cops in most other places in the world, cops in the USA must assume that anyone they approach is armed.

And that's the mindset a U.S. cop has when engaging with the public. Obviously, a big factor in how any interactions move forward, what with a cop already on edge due to the real fear that things could escalate to a deadly encounter very rapidly.

Thanks, Second Amendment!
That is a very good point and one I had not considered before.
Obviously there must be links between Police behaviour and gun control (or lack of).
I don’t see how the 2 can be isolated.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Had to drive downtown tonight and the national guard had every precinct we drove by on lockdown. Soldiers with machine guns on the roof. Crazy shit. I don’t feel like it was a great move by the governor to call them in.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 10:53pm
Had to drive downtown tonight and the national guard had every precinct we drove by on lockdown. Soldiers with machine guns on the roof. Crazy shit. I don’t feel like it was a great move by the governor to call them in.
Its a setup for a major incident that has occurred so many times before in so many places.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Hi all - Omar and Pressley have introduced a bill addressing police brutality. If you are in the USA and so inclined, please sign this petition that will go directly to your house member: https://www.ncjw.org/act/action/condemn ... brutality/
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:14am
Hi all - Omar and Pressley have introduced a bill addressing police brutality. If you are in the USA and so inclined, please sign this petition that will go directly to your house member: https://www.ncjw.org/act/action/condemn ... brutality/
Done.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:24am
JennyB wrote:
Done.
:kiss:
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:41am
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Done.
I love my congresswoman. She gets her nails done across the street from where I'm sitting.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 2:26pm
JennyB wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:41am
Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Done.
I love my congresswoman. She gets her nails done across the street from where I'm sitting.
I like her a lot.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cops in Asheville, NC, destroying a medical aid station for protestors. They claimed that bottles could be used to throw at cops. How fucking lousy is their riot gear to make that kind of pathetic excuse?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:12pm

Cops in Asheville, NC, destroying a medical aid station for protestors. They claimed that bottles could be used to throw at cops. How fucking lousy is their riot gear to make that kind of pathetic excuse?
There should be a repository of cop tattoos so were can better identify which white power gang they are in.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:12pm

There should be a repository of cop tattoos so were can better identify which white power gang they are in.
Yet another way that warrior cops try to intimidate. A roided up fucker with arms drenched in ink sends the message that he's not there to help or protect, but to fuck you up if you don't comply immediately.

BostonBeaneater