BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Libertarian Thread of Doom

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Libertarian Thread of Doom

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh yeah, I'm reading that book—thanks! Like Marxism, libertarianism is a great critical lens, but absurd to enact to the degree that its adherents demand. I remember a blog post from a libertarian lawyer who argued that if a meteor was coming at the earth, proper libertarians would be obliged to resist their national govts seizing resources and banding with other nations to figure out a way to destroy it because it would violate individual property rights. And this wasn't meant to show the absurdity of libertarian purity. Better to die free and all that, I guess.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 6:24pm
Oh yeah, I'm reading that book—thanks! Like Marxism, libertarianism is a great critical lens, but absurd to enact to the degree that its adherents demand. I remember a blog post from a libertarian lawyer who argued that if a meteor was coming at the earth, proper libertarians would be obliged to resist their national govts seizing resources and banding with other nations to figure out a way to destroy it because it would violate individual property rights. And this wasn't meant to show the absurdity of libertarian purity. Better to die free and all that, I guess.
I guess I am a soft rock pussy, I'm willing to pay the man so that the sewer system functions.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 6:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 6:24pm
I guess I am a soft rock pussy, I'm willing to pay the man so that the sewer system functions.
Nanny state tyranny!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Libertarianism = legal murder, otherwise it’s not Libertarianism. Past that, we’re talking government interference.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-sat-do ... idnt-know/
The title is probably the best part, but still.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 8:26am
https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-sat-do ... idnt-know/
The title is probably the best part, but still.
The last line was pretty good too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm not sure I understand what libertarianism means anymore.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The libertarian party was taken over by the "mises caucus" in the last leadership elections and are completely destroying the party. State chapters are literally voting to dissolve themselves rather than be associated with the new leadership, and even a bunch of reason magazine people have left the party under hostile circumstances. It's all very funny.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:03pm
The libertarian party was taken over by the "mises caucus" in the last leadership elections and are completely destroying the party. State chapters are literally voting to dissolve themselves rather than be associated with the new leadership, and even a bunch of reason magazine people have left the party under hostile circumstances. It's all very funny.
Huh. It's like the Green Party pushing for pipelines and strip mining.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 7:49pm

I'm not sure I understand what libertarianism means anymore.
"Selfish assholes", same as ever.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:14pm
Flex wrote:
They've gone full on mask-off in New Hampshire:

Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
19 Sep 2022, 12:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Sep 2022, 8:14pm
Flex wrote:
They've gone full on mask-off in New Hampshire:

Nobody keeps Marx alive—in name if not spirit—more than the right.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »