Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Libertarian Thread of Doom

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 11:38am
Have we done this one before? I think we have at some point.
I used to call them republicans who want weed legalized.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 12:33pm
I used to call them republicans who want weed legalized.
"Bongwater Republicans"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wonderfully scathing profile of David Sacks, conservatarian mutant who's gained a great degree of prominence on both the Muskian/Trumpist right and the Alt-/Post-Left, an almost perfect simulacrum of paleoliberatian isolationism and anti-woke ethnonationalist grievance culture perfectly calibrated to appeal to the Extremely Online who like to use his services: https://newrepublic.com/article/168125/ ... eter-thiel

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 1:07pm
Wonderfully scathing profile of David Sacks, conservatarian mutant who's gained a great degree of prominence on both the Muskian/Trumpist right and the Alt-/Post-Left, an almost perfect simulacrum of paleoliberatian isolationism and anti-woke ethnonationalist grievance culture perfectly calibrated to appeal to the Extremely Online who like to use his services: https://newrepublic.com/article/168125/ ... eter-thiel
I'm curious whether a line can be drawn between these faux renegade billionaires who draw from those disaffected from conventional political expression and Ross Perot. It's striking to me how people of some degree of leftist bent can line up behind billionaires just because "oooo, I hate that crooked system, too!" So, yeah, good, glad you realize the system is rigged against you. Why are you so eager to claim the "useful idiot" nametag as the next step?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 1:26pm
I'm curious whether a line can be drawn between these faux renegade billionaires who draw from those disaffected from conventional political expression and Ross Perot. It's striking to me how people of some degree of leftist bent can line up behind billionaires just because "oooo, I hate that crooked system, too!" So, yeah, good, glad you realize the system is rigged against you. Why are you so eager to claim the "useful idiot" nametag as the next step?
Charitably, I suppose, it can be a fine line between alliances of convenience and co-option (and to be fair, it works in the other direction too - leftists working with liberals certainly provokes some sometimes-accurate scathing critiques of useful idiocy) but my unsophisticated sense is that for a lot of people "opposing (now called 'owning') the libs" takes a significantly higher priority that advocating for change rooted in national and international solidarity, which would make any sort of alliance with a vampire like Sacks seem counterproductive.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 1:26pm
Charitably, I suppose, it can be a fine line between alliances of convenience and co-option (and to be fair, it works in the other direction too - leftists working with liberals certainly provokes some sometimes-accurate scathing critiques of useful idiocy) but my unsophisticated sense is that for a lot of people "opposing (now called 'owning') the libs" takes a significantly higher priority that advocating for change rooted in national and international solidarity, which would make any sort of alliance with a vampire like Sacks seem counterproductive.
It's such an odd thing for me to wrap my head around, where we're almost in a post-politics environment now. Debate about values and policies are supplanted by snark, where the goal is therapeutic—I feel good, you feel bad. It's entirely passive behaviour. And it serves to validate authoritarians who say liberal democracy doesn't work.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 12:54pm
https://boingboing.net/2022/11/15/liber ... itism.html

Because of course they do.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

I see this flag probably once a year or so and it delights me every time.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »