The Futurology/Alien Civilization/Societal Collapse MegaThread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Can humanity become a Type V civilization?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:58pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 5:27pm

Also... Inder if you see this, I'm not sure whether this subject would be better suited to the groovy times thread or not. I suppose it kind of has its feet set in both categories.
We're good here 😎.

There's also the Mars thread in GT for hard science...
A degree from the University of Phoenix is required to post in that thread.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Inder wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 12:58pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:

Also... Inder if you see this, I'm not sure whether this subject would be better suited to the groovy times thread or not. I suppose it kind of has its feet set in both categories.
We're good here 😎.

There's also the Mars thread in GT for hard science...
THIS IS HARD SCIENCE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 5:55pm
Kory wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 5:44pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
I'm going to remake this thread into a general Futurology/Alien/Societal Collapse type thread.

Found this little gem earlier:

Do you think god might be an alien?

I think if any kind of creator exists at all, it's some being that created this universe by accident. It certainly isn't capable of intervention on a micro level.
Or perhaps they just don't care about the fate of humans? What about the evil god theory? Perhaps god is malevolent and derives sadistic pleasure from watching humans suffer?
If I was a betting man, I'd probably split my bet over impotent god and evil god, for sure.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Guest1

Re: The Futurology/Alien Civilization/Societal Collapse MegaThread

Post by Guest1 »

I’m not sure if aliens even exist. I’m almost positive that organisms of some sort exist on other planets, but intelligent beings is a stretch. The existence of Humans just seems like pure freakish happenstance tbh with you. The conditions for simple single celled mitochondria are steep enough. You would have to figure that this organism: had the capacity for high intelligence and is also physically capable of manipulating the environment which would probably require fingers of some sort. Which is just another whole set of obstacles. I also don’t think that life on other planets is nearly as grotesque looking as made out in science fiction. If life were to form on an earth like planet, which by very definition has all the same building blocks and conditions for life, it was bound to have evolved in some sort of similar way. The funniest thing would be if we found out that humans or other similar primate based beings had already colonized the entire universe through pure evolutionary bias. In other words, I don’t think giant buggy eyed worm people exist.

An article supporting what I’m talking about:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... ogist/amp/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Everyone with an interest in where we came from and where we might be going should watch this and its two sister episodes. My favourite science documentaries ever.

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 3:30pm
I’m not sure if aliens even exist. I’m almost positive that organisms of some sort exist on other planets, but intelligent beings is a stretch. The existence of Humans just seems like pure freakish happenstance tbh with you. The conditions for simple single celled mitochondria are steep enough. You would have to figure that this organism: had the capacity for high intelligence and is also physically capable of manipulating the environment which would probably require fingers of some sort. Which is just another whole set of obstacles. I also don’t think that life on other planets is nearly as grotesque looking as made out in science fiction. If life were to form on an earth like planet, which by very definition has all the same building blocks and conditions for life, it was bound to have evolved in some sort of similar way. The funniest thing would be if we found out that humans or other similar primate based beings had already colonized the entire universe through pure evolutionary bias. In other words, I don’t think giant buggy eyed worm people exist.

I can't remember who brought this up first, it might have been Hawking. But the likelihood of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is one thing, but an entirely different conversation can be had around the likelihood of that life existing close enough to us in both distance and time that it's relevant at all. Given what a crapshoot it seems to be whether life can exist, it seems a lot more likely that if anything attained intelligence at anything around our level already burned itself out or doesn't exist yet.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Kory wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 5:23pm
RockNRollWhore wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 3:30pm

I can't remember who brought this up first, it might have been Hawking. But the likelihood of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is one thing, but an entirely different conversation can be had around the likelihood of that life existing close enough to us in both distance and time that it's relevant at all. Given what a crapshoot it seems to be whether life can exist, it seems a lot more likely that if anything attained intelligence at anything around our level already burned itself out or doesn't exist yet.
I concur with all of that. Furthermore it might be kind of dangerous to make contact given that the complex societies still in existence are probably way ahead of us technology wise. This could totally lead to a European vs native Americans scenario. They might even have some sort of crazy space pathogens we have no immune response to. Who knows the aliens could be some crazy galaxy spanning ultra fascist empire who have an extremely desolate home planet a la blade runner. That’s why I believe AI and robots has a much better chance of colonizing the universe than humans. No oxygen is needed, no food, no sleep. It is much more resilient and efficient.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

How many years do we have left as a species?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 8:10pm
How many years do we have left as a species?
5 years, that's all we've got.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board