Let the trash take itself out.

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Let the trash take itself out.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I would encourage all nurses and doctors to walk off the job.

BostonBeaneater

Re: Let the trash take itself out.

PS - shove some horse dewormer up your ass.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There was a story last week(?) about a doctor in Alabama who said that, come September or October, he'd no longer see unvaccinated patients. He was tired of seeing people get ill and dying for no good reason, so he was done. Within 48 hours, a fair number of his patients got vaccinated.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 8:09pm
There was a story last week(?) about a doctor in Alabama who said that, come September or October, he'd no longer see unvaccinated patients. He was tired of seeing people get ill and dying for no good reason, so he was done. Within 48 hours, a fair number of his patients got vaccinated.
I admire anyone willing to promote healthcare in the barbarian territories.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Trump years+ have been an eerie glimpse for those of us who have wondered how people could have fallen for Hitler's or Stalin's or Mao's insanity, even when it could literally get them killed. Seeing governors promote policies that actively, vigorously endanger the public health to the lusty cheers of those who are going to die—that's just remarkable to behold. The one comfort I take is that the wishy-washy liberal centre is less willing to tolerate this crap. A recent poll in Canada had 75% having no sympathy for those who choose not to be vaccinated (aside from those who can't for health-related reasons). No bland respect for other viewpoints—fuck you, go die for all I care. If you want to set yourself up outside of society, society isn't crying to have you back.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 7:34pm
I would encourage all nurses and doctors to walk off the job.

WTF is wrong with people?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Covid vaccine? No way man, I'm not taking that, it's not safe, it's a government conspiracy, an assault on our freedom yada yada etc

But what's this...horse and cow dewormer? Yeah, cool. Fill her up man, I'll guzzle that bad boy down like a milkshake.

Crazy fucks.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Fair play to her for remaining calm whilst dealing with that idiot.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 4:38am
Covid vaccine? No way man, I'm not taking that, it's not safe, it's a government conspiracy, an assault on our freedom yada yada etc

But what's this...horse and cow dewormer? Yeah, cool. Fill her up man, I'll guzzle that bad boy down like a milkshake.

Crazy fucks.
Better yet when they claim they need to do their own "research" on vaccines. Like they're experts and their research isn't going to be right-wing blogs and Facebook posts that confirms their own belief that anything liberals endorse is evil.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 6:22am
Low Down Low wrote:

Crazy fucks.
Better yet when they claim they need to do their own "research" on vaccines. Like they're experts and their research isn't going to be right-wing blogs and Facebook posts that confirms their own belief that anything liberals endorse is evil.
Thing about it is, though, i can kind of rationalise that trump/maga fuelled lunacy as one outcome of pure stupidity and lack of education. But that doesn't account for the worryingly large number of academics, scientists and physicians who peddle this kind of stuff too. Same with the anti lockdown merchants of the Great Barrington Declaration group who keep being given a broad media platform to spew their nonsense, even though they were totally discredited almost from the start. I don't know who to be most scared of tbh.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 7:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Crazy fucks.
Thing about it is, though, i can kind of rationalise that trump/maga fuelled lunacy as one outcome of pure stupidity and lack of education. But that doesn't account for the worryingly large number of academics, scientists and physicians who peddle this kind of stuff too. Same with the anti lockdown merchants of the Great Barrington Declaration group who keep being given a broad media platform to spew their nonsense, even though they were totally discredited almost from the start. I don't know who to be most scared of tbh.
It is baffling. Have these people gone nuts, to buy into that kind of irrationality, or are the opportunists seeing value in promoting bullshit? I've read bits and pieces from people at right-wing dissemination sites who have argued that the propaganda has overwhelmed the messengers, that when they've conditioned themselves to believe any crazy bullshit. Adorno and Horkheimer, writing about the culture industry back in the 1940s, argued that there was nothing deliberately or consciously sinister about how mass culture pacifies people, but that the machine had taken on a momentum of its own, sucking in producers and consumers alike. It's hard not to see something to it all the way this insanity has consumed so many people.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

My Trump 2016/Biden 2020 dad/stepmom are visiting from NC. They have fortunately become very strong promoters of vaccination and mask wearing. They even talked their Florida Republican financial advisor into getting it. They apparently just told him to talk to his cardiologist (because this jackass apparently has heart problems too) and that was enough. Because asking your fucking doctor about a vaccine isn't an obvious thing to do anymore when you have facebook and Joe Rogan.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's hard not to see the mechanics of evolution at work here—those creatures that can best adapt to changing circumstances survive and pass on the genetic material. Who are those adapting? People choosing to be vaccinated and willing to alter their behaviours (masks, distancing, etc.). They stand the best chance of making thru to the new normal. Those who refuse to do any of this—refuse to adapt—increase their odds of not surviving. And given that homo sapiens are remarkably adaptive as a species, these people really do stand out as ill-suited for survival.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 8:20am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Crazy fucks.
It is baffling. Have these people gone nuts, to buy into that kind of irrationality, or are the opportunists seeing value in promoting bullshit? I've read bits and pieces from people at right-wing dissemination sites who have argued that the propaganda has overwhelmed the messengers, that when they've conditioned themselves to believe any crazy bullshit. Adorno and Horkheimer, writing about the culture industry back in the 1940s, argued that there was nothing deliberately or consciously sinister about how mass culture pacifies people, but that the machine had taken on a momentum of its own, sucking in producers and consumers alike. It's hard not to see something to it all the way this insanity has consumed so many people.
I'm thinking probably both is the likely answer. As to the overall theory, I'd be inclined to be a buyer, makes total sense given the age of easy means of mass communication we live in.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 8:20am
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Crazy fucks.
I'm thinking probably both is the likely answer. As to the overall theory, I'd be inclined to be a buyer, makes total sense given the age of easy means of mass communication we live in.
I've long rejected Adorno because he's so relentlessly pessimistic and elitist—and still think that—but I can't deny that what seemed a reach in the 1940s has more plausibility today as our lives have become so entwined by mass media. It's tough to keep faith in humanity.