If you really wanna go - alive or dead my friend

Politics and other such topical creams.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: If you really wanna go - alive or dead my friend

Post by Marky Dread »

Humanity losing this fight all over again. Propaganda and hatred are the enemy. When will we as a species learn. There are times when I have to wonder if we even deserve this planet.

Still from the heart we have to believe that people are good and we will eventually get it right.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Regards the Azov they are some nasty fuckers with awful idealism.

I can only imagine the National Front or the BNP being a part of the British army here. The far right are at large all over the world but being an integral part of an army is some scary shit!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Thanks for the info HB/RB

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 2:48pm

I can only imagine the National Front or the BNP being a part of the British army here. The far right are at large all over the world but being an integral part of an army is some scary shit!
I agree 100%, the world doesn't need anymore far right bullshit. The part I don't understand is how Zelensky could allow a battalion such as the Azov to exist given that he's of Jewish faith and lost family in the Holocaust.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 4:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I agree 100%, the world doesn't need anymore far right bullshit. The part I don't understand is how Zelensky could allow a battalion such as the Azov to exist given that he's of Jewish faith and lost family in the Holocaust.
I can only assume he had little say. Otherwise that is very odd indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

An oldie but a goodie, or at least accurate "politics make strange bedfellows "

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

tepista wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 9:47pm
That's awesome! Good for Dee!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 10:02pm
tepista wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 9:47pm
That's awesome! Good for Dee!
...and yet whenever I hear "We're Not Gonna Take It" I wanna put on some platform boots and stomp my feet. It's a strange old world. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

Flex wrote:Long, thoughtful post. Thanks for engaging. Just wanted to acknowledge it, especially since I'm directly quoted in a couple spots, and promise a response in the next day or two. Given the time you put in, I want to make sure I give the respect of a thoughtful and considered response (and I think I'm familiar with most of your sources you cite, but I want to revisit them as well).
No rush.
Flex wrote:In any case, I certainly appreciate you stopping back in. And for the thoughtful dialogue. I think I said this on Twitter the other day, but, y'know, it's not like discussion online I about changing policy or influencing decision makers. Hopefully it's just about considering our own understanding of the world and working to articulate some truth and moral clarity. Appreciate your engagement with, I think, that spirit in mind.
For sure, man. My post certainly wasn't in the spirit of "I'm right, Person [X] or [Y] is wrong," but just to hopefully broaden the scope of the discussion—and again, always appreciate your insights.

revbob wrote:Thanks for the info HB/RB
No prob, and hey, I'm always learning right along with everyone else, so I encourage everyone to do their own research. The more knowledge we all have, the more we can fill in each other's blind spots.

Sparky wrote:I'd prefer it if the nations of our world would somehow learn to peacefully coexist, live and let live, allow each country to do their own thing, provided they're not trampling on any other nations right to peacefully exist. Perhaps that's a naive wish given the politics, egos and greed that seem to be ruling the world today, but I can dream.
I'm with ya brother, that's the world I want to live in. If enough people wake up, it might just be achievable. I hope that doesn't sound too utopian.

Low Down Low wrote:Loathe to get too deep into it too as don't feel i have the in depth knowledge to dissect things, didn't even think putin would go this far so not had a good handle on it. But will say some of the coverage I'm watching is grim and infuriating, especially when you see a guy interviewed on the bbc weeping because "European people with blue eyes and blonde hair" are being killed and nobody thinks this sentiment is worth challenging in any way.
This has brought about quite a few of these self-unmasking moments lately.

Marky Dread wrote:
Sparky wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 4:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I can only assume he had little say. Otherwise that is very odd indeed.
This. Remember, the coup happened in 2014, Zelensky was elected in 2019, so the incorporation of the Azov Battalion into the Ukrainian military didn't happen under him. Actually, I'm hearing now that they want to overthrow him, likely for a variety of reasons, but I'd assume his being Jewish is fairly high on the list.

Dr. Medulla wrote:I will offer, however mildly, that the idea of Ukraine in NATO was always a wretched idea. Go back and read George Kennan's Long Telegram from 1947, where he explained Soviet foreign policy as rooted in the centuries-old Russian fear of invasion and desire for buffer states. Ukraine or the Baltic nations in NATO is placing the rival West right on Russia's doorstep. So I get that and to the degree that I ever thought about NATO's eastward expansion, I thought it a bad idea that was unnecessarily provocative, purposefully or not.
That's such a great point that I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't even really thought of—but hey, I'm just some dude on the interwebs here, it gets a lot scarier when you think about how detached and intellectually incurious members of, say, the Atlantic Council or the US government likely are about the historical/cultural motivations and thought processes of non-Western nations; the Bush Administration's pride in their aggressive ignorance toward having any such knowledge of the Arab world in the lead-up to the Iraq War being one of the more disastrous examples that immediately springs to mind.

Flex wrote:Howard, welcome back!
Dr. Medulla wrote:welcome back, stranger!
It's good to be back! :mrgreen:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

And Im hearing/seeing this sort of thing:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-60555650

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 10:39am
Jeez, things must be grim in Poland if Orbans Hungary is being suggested as an alternative.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Poland is run by goons. One of the historians where I teach is a Holocaust scholar, specializing in the Polish experience, and he's been targeted for harassment (and worse; I don't think he can set foot in Poland without being arrested now) because of his work showing the active participation of Poles.

Tangential supplementary: Contrary to Canada's myths, a lot of slaves who escaped via the underground railroad were denied entry into Canada. Presumably it depended on the bureaucrat who dealt with the case. All kinds of reasons were presented, usually health-related, to say, sorry, you'll have to stay in the US; hope a slavecatcher doesn't find you.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 11:44am
revbob wrote:
Poland is run by goons. One of the historians where I teach is a Holocaust scholar, specializing in the Polish experience, and he's been targeted for harassment (and worse; I don't think he can set foot in Poland without being arrested now) because of his work showing the active participation of Poles.

Tangential supplementary: Contrary to Canada's myths, a lot of slaves who escaped via the underground railroad were denied entry into Canada. Presumably it depended on the bureaucrat who dealt with the case. All kinds of reasons were presented, usually health-related, to say, sorry, you'll have to stay in the US; hope a slavecatcher doesn't find you.
The Polish government is dead-set on changing the narrative of their complicity during the Holocaust. It's terrifying.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 11:44am
revbob wrote:

The Polish government is dead-set on changing the narrative of their complicity during the Holocaust. It's terrifying.
Not wholly dissimilar to the efforts to write-out racism and slavery (or at least the yucky parts) from school curricula in the US. Really cool that the West won the Cold War, defeating an Orwellian state and all so that openness and truth would flood the globe.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft