Politics and other such topical creams.
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2022, 1:11pm
Funnily, enough I just read an article speculating why we may not have ever (or ever will be) visited by alien life (apologies for the Daily Mail link):
Dr Michael Wong, of the Carnegie Institution for Science, and Dr Stuart Bartlett, of California Institute of Technology, claim that extraterrestrial civilisations may grow so large and technical that they hit crisis points, missing the chance to visit new worlds.

[...]

In a new study, published in Royal Society Open Science, Dr Wong and Dr Bartlett set out to crack the 70-year-old puzzle.

The pair analysed previous studies which have shown that cities grow 'superlinearly' – at a faster rate than linear – thanks to their social nature.

This superlinear scaling results in crises called 'singularities', where population and energy demands supersede innovations, leading to the system's collapse.

For example, on Earth, the researchers say that ozone depletion, the escalation of weapons of mass destruction and whaling could have led to burnout, had they not been mitigated.

The researchers suggest burnout is likely to happen to alien civilisations too.

'We hypothesize that once a planetary civilization transitions into a state that can be described as one virtually connected global city, it will face an "asymptotic burnout", an ultimate crisis where the singularity-interval time scale becomes smaller than the time scale of innovation,' they wrote.
Full article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... laims.html

Makes sense to me!
Interesting theory - Thanks

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

laxman wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:22pm
If they came to get a full version of Rat Patrol I bet they are really brassed off now ;)
I'd be even more brassed off to find out after all this time waiting that Unidentified Aerial Phenomena was just the name of Jeff Lynne's new band.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

dave202 wrote:
09 May 2022, 12:24pm
laxman wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:22pm
If they came to get a full version of Rat Patrol I bet they are really brassed off now ;)
I'd be even more brassed off to find out after all this time waiting that Unidentified Aerial Phenomena was just the name of Jeff Lynne's new band.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My favorite hypothesis for why aliens haven't and won't be here while we're around is that the chances of an alien society advancing to that point at the same time we exist are (heh) astronomical. It's far more likely that a civilization either had that ability before or will have it after we're gone, but the idea that it would coincide with our existence is crazy unlikely.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc