Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

Politics and other such topical creams.
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

Post by NoMoreHugh »

What is peoples take on this ? any thoughts ?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

Post by Dr. Medulla »

While I believe life exists elsewhere throughout the universe, I’m deeply skeptical that any of it has visited us, let alone the considerable numbers and varieties that have been claimed. The size of our galaxy alone makes it all but impossible short of absolutely fantastic technology. Not impossible, but not likely, especially that they’d bother to look in on our relatively primitive world. So, no clue what those things are, but I’d bet my left nut against Olaf’s prized racoon flautist that it ain’t aliens.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2022, 9:57am
While I believe life exists elsewhere throughout the universe, I’m deeply skeptical that any of it has visited us, let alone the considerable numbers and varieties that have been claimed. The size of our galaxy alone makes it all but impossible short of absolutely fantastic technology. Not impossible, but not likely, especially that they’d bother to look in on our relatively primitive world. So, no clue what those things are, but I’d bet my left nut against Olaf’s prized racoon flautist that it ain’t aliens.
That's kind of how I think. It also suggests ego to think that we're so special that every alien life form out there would be clamoring to come and visit us.

The highlighted part is why I'll always be skeptical.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I think unmanned probes have probably visited. Fuck knows what these are though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

My thinking is the same. If extra terrestrials technology was thousands / millions of years ahead of our own I doubt they would consider just visiting they would visit purely because they want something and would just take what they need.

It would be like us visiting an African ant colony we don’t go there to negotiate / communicate / or bargain like some believe, aliens would be after something they need and just take it.

I also think if they were that advanced it would be in a ship that was huge like a country or even they could have learnt how to make there own planet mobile. So in my mind if we was visited the whole world would know about it like weeks or months ahead. We would see some thing huge was heading straight for us and it is intelligent. There really would be no doubt.

Until scientists can prove bending space can be done I will dismiss that for now
So I echo the same wtf are they. So is it maybe the government putting there own pilots at risk on testing or its China / Russia so should we as the man said in the vid, be concerned ?

Either way I found those clips intriguing

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

If they came to get a full version of Rat Patrol I bet they are really brassed off now ;)

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:22pm
If they came to get a full version of Rat Patrol I bet they are really brassed off now ;)
Is the full version of Rat Patrol thousands / millions of years ahead of its time ?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
Thanks a lot, Mick! We could have had first contact, but nooooooooo, you're withholding Rat Patrol!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:45pm
laxman wrote:
Thanks a lot, Mick! We could have had first contact, but nooooooooo, you're withholding Rat Patrol!
Ignore Alien Orders !

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
06 May 2022, 12:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
laxman wrote:
Ignore Alien Orders !
Satisfy alien completists!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Funnily, enough I just read an article speculating why we may not have ever (or ever will be) visited by alien life (apologies for the Daily Mail link):
Dr Michael Wong, of the Carnegie Institution for Science, and Dr Stuart Bartlett, of California Institute of Technology, claim that extraterrestrial civilisations may grow so large and technical that they hit crisis points, missing the chance to visit new worlds.

[...]

In a new study, published in Royal Society Open Science, Dr Wong and Dr Bartlett set out to crack the 70-year-old puzzle.

The pair analysed previous studies which have shown that cities grow 'superlinearly' – at a faster rate than linear – thanks to their social nature.

This superlinear scaling results in crises called 'singularities', where population and energy demands supersede innovations, leading to the system's collapse.

For example, on Earth, the researchers say that ozone depletion, the escalation of weapons of mass destruction and whaling could have led to burnout, had they not been mitigated.

The researchers suggest burnout is likely to happen to alien civilisations too.

'We hypothesize that once a planetary civilization transitions into a state that can be described as one virtually connected global city, it will face an "asymptotic burnout", an ultimate crisis where the singularity-interval time scale becomes smaller than the time scale of innovation,' they wrote.
Full article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... laims.html

Makes sense to me!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
laxman wrote:
Surely they would understand the justification that Joe and Mick had a disagreement forty years ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Honestly, I dunno if he'll post here, but if we want the scoop on how this might fit into a cosmology that has concluded alien life has or could visit the Earth, I think CK is our guy to lay it out.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2022, 1:11pm
Funnily, enough I just read an article speculating why we may not have ever (or ever will be) visited by alien life (apologies for the Daily Mail link):
Dr Michael Wong, of the Carnegie Institution for Science, and Dr Stuart Bartlett, of California Institute of Technology, claim that extraterrestrial civilisations may grow so large and technical that they hit crisis points, missing the chance to visit new worlds.

[...]

In a new study, published in Royal Society Open Science, Dr Wong and Dr Bartlett set out to crack the 70-year-old puzzle.

The pair analysed previous studies which have shown that cities grow 'superlinearly' – at a faster rate than linear – thanks to their social nature.

This superlinear scaling results in crises called 'singularities', where population and energy demands supersede innovations, leading to the system's collapse.

For example, on Earth, the researchers say that ozone depletion, the escalation of weapons of mass destruction and whaling could have led to burnout, had they not been mitigated.

The researchers suggest burnout is likely to happen to alien civilisations too.

'We hypothesize that once a planetary civilization transitions into a state that can be described as one virtually connected global city, it will face an "asymptotic burnout", an ultimate crisis where the singularity-interval time scale becomes smaller than the time scale of innovation,' they wrote.
Full article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... laims.html

Makes sense to me!
That assumes that there are universal (literally!) laws of social development. Obviously I haven't thought about this to any degree, but the historian in me makes me wary of that kind of assumption.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
06 May 2022, 1:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
laxman wrote:
Surely they would understand the justification that Joe and Mick had a disagreement forty years ago.
They are a higher intelligence, you see.