The What Generation Are You Poll?

Politics and other such topical creams.

What generation are you?

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2023, 5:12pm

The Greatest Generation 1901-1927 (hey, you never know... )
4%
The Silent Generation 1928-1945
No votes
The Baby Boomer Generation 1946-1964
29%
Generation X 1965-1980
42%
Millennials 1981-1996
21%
Generation Z 1997-2012
4%
Gen Alpha 2013-2025
No votes

Total votes: 24

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The What Generation Are You Poll?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:26am
Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 10:44am
Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 10:41am

I'm so millennial that I'm screeching that NOT CARING ABOUT THIS POLL is YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF PRIVILEGE.
Isn't it also a micro-aggression?
What do you think I am, a zoomer?
I understand nothing about any of you in equal measure. If you knew what it was like to grow up in the 80s—with Reagan and Thatcher and MTV and, I dunno, leg warmers?—you'd be more respectful.
Leg warmers and whirly girls, the gen x experience defined.
It really shouldn't be hard to comprehend why we hate everything.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:27am
I hate labels. Does that make me a GenXer? :shifty:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 10:44am

Isn't it also a micro-aggression?
I understand nothing about any of you in equal measure. If you knew what it was like to grow up in the 80s—with Reagan and Thatcher and MTV and, I dunno, leg warmers?—you'd be more respectful.
MTV? Oh, you mean the channel with Catfish on.
Is that a band? Do you people even have bands anymore?

(I sound positively antediluvian when I do my MTV lecture and try to express how much it mattered to watch music videos because that made up so much of the conversation at school. It was dumb, of course, but holy hell but it mattered.)
A benefit of the monoculture meant that everybody had the same music drilled into them, which meant that we all had a common ground. I imagine a high school now has tiny pockets of people who are into New Jack Swing, Cumbia, French dubstep, and dress and act accordingly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

(I sound positively antediluvian when I do my MTV lecture and try to express how much it mattered to watch music videos because that made up so much of the conversation at school. It was dumb, of course, but holy hell but it mattered.)
A benefit of the monoculture meant that everybody had the same music drilled into them, which meant that we all had a common ground. I imagine a high school now has tiny pockets of people who are into New Jack Swing, Cumbia, French dubstep, and dress and act accordingly.
There's more possibility—that is, more available material—for that kind of diversity. How many kids take advantage and ignore real world peer pressures is another question. I remember doing research on the magazine Sassy, where girls from small towns would read about all these options to be different, to stand up and be yourself and all that, and they thought, "Yeah, it's easy to say that, especially living in a large city, but the reality is that I have to face these kids and teachers every day."

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:49am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

There's more possibility—that is, more available material—for that kind of diversity. How many kids take advantage and ignore real world peer pressures is another question. I remember doing research on the magazine Sassy, where girls from small towns would read about all these options to be different, to stand up and be yourself and all that, and they thought, "Yeah, it's easy to say that, especially living in a large city, but the reality is that I have to face these kids and teachers every day."
Yes, of course the actual reality is the same commercial chart music being as omnipresent, if not more so, as it was in the 80s.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 12:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:49am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yes, of course the actual reality is the same commercial chart music being as omnipresent, if not more so, as it was in the 80s.
That omnipresence, ironically enough, according to some students, has meant that music doesn't mean that much to them. That is, when there's so much out there, there doesn't seem much reason to argue about it. Availability has pushed down value.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's interesting that neither Billy Idol or Tony James are part of Generation X ... ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 1:02pm
It's interesting that neither Billy Idol or Tony James are part of Generation X ... ;)
Somehow Idol's plastic surgery hasn't been able to make that idea seem convincing.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 1:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Somehow Idol's plastic surgery hasn't been able to make that idea seem convincing.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm what I believe is now called a Geriatric Millennial.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 3:05pm
Close enough to being an Xer without the fetishizing of 1970s popular culture. :twitch:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 3:09pm
Kory wrote:
Close enough to being an Xer without the fetishizing of 1970s popular culture. :twitch:
Hey, I liked Dazed and Confused

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
What's your view on the Rockford Files, the Six Million Dollar Man, and Dynomutt?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 1:56pm
Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 1:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Hah exactlamundo

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 3:46pm
Kory wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 3:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
What's your view on the Rockford Files, the Six Million Dollar Man, and Dynomutt?
I liked Dynomutt quite a bit as a kid, the others, not so much.