The What Generation Are You Poll?

Politics and other such topical creams.

What generation are you?

Poll ended at 15 Jun 2023, 5:12pm

The Greatest Generation 1901-1927 (hey, you never know... )
4%
The Silent Generation 1928-1945
No votes
The Baby Boomer Generation 1946-1964
29%
Generation X 1965-1980
42%
Millennials 1981-1996
21%
Generation Z 1997-2012
4%
Gen Alpha 2013-2025
No votes

Total votes: 24

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

The What Generation Are You Poll?

Post by WestwayKid »

So, what generation are you from? I'm guessing the majority of us are jaded Gen X'ers... but who knows??
Last edited by WestwayKid on 08 Jun 2023, 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The What Generation Are You Poll?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Xer, of course. But I'm gonna quibble with your bracketing dates. A generation is normally about 20 years, give or take a year or 2. Gen X is roughly '64 to '82, Millennials '83–'01, and Z is '02–?.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:18pm
Xer, of course. But I'm gonna quibble with your bracketing dates. A generation is normally about 20 years, give or take a year or 2. Gen X is roughly '64 to '82, Millennials '83–'01, and Z is '02–?.
I'm lazy. I just found it online, but I'm willing to adjust.

XRCF
Junco Partner

Post by XRCF »

I'm guessing I'm one of the few if not the only gen z kid here :approve:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀https://xrcf.xyz/
ImageImage
My mega links never die!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I adjusted the years based on info found on Wikipedia ;)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kinda goofy to think Millennials stop several years before the millennium.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

XRCF wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:24pm
I'm guessing I'm one of the few if not the only gen z kid here :approve:
My kids are both Generation Z but I think it is quite cool that they were born in different millenia!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always thought the term was meant to indicate that they/we had the change of millennium as our early formative experience. In that case, it would make sense to cut it off around when a kid would be too young to remember the turn of the millennium, no?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Please let there be a silent gen person on here and please please please have them be a huge BAD fan.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My Generation!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I always thought the term was meant to indicate that they/we had the change of millennium as our early formative experience. In that case, it would make sense to cut it off around when a kid would be too young to remember the turn of the millennium, no?
My understanding is that they are the last generation born in 2nd millenium / the first to reach maturity in the new. Plus the whole 20-year thing—why are Millennials such an abbreviated generation?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:58pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
My understanding is that they are the last generation born in 2nd millenium / the first to reach maturity in the new. Plus the whole 20-year thing—why are Millennials such an abbreviated generation?
Mmmm, the 20 year thing is new to me. Pew, for example, notes the boomer generation is an outlier in how long it is at nearly 20 years: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... -z-begins/

In any case, not an exact science, this is all a tad on the arbitrary side, etc. but I do sort of agree with the millennial rule of thumb that if you're too young to remember 9/11 and understand its importance at the time, you're not a millennial. In the u.s. thats for sure a generationally defining moment.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Also, thank you to our brave greatest gen member for helping defeat the Nazis (or for escaping to South America)

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:45pm
Please let there be a silent gen person on here and please please please have them be a huge BAD fan.
Fucking lol
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 5:58pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Mmmm, the 20 year thing is new to me. Pew, for example, notes the boomer generation is an outlier in how long it is at nearly 20 years: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... -z-begins/

In any case, not an exact science, this is all a tad on the arbitrary side, etc. but I do sort of agree with the millennial rule of thumb that if you're too young to remember 9/11 and understand its importance at the time, you're not a millennial. In the u.s. thats for sure a generationally defining moment.
I largely defer on the topic to William Strauss and Neil Howe, who developed a generational theory of history. Their use of 20 years was related to a person's stage of life (childhood/youth; adulthood; middle-age; elder), each of which were around 20 years and marked by distinct roles. They also emphasized the role of significant events as cut-offs in generations, as your stage of life had considerable influence in how you reacted to and were shaped by events.