This Week in Religion

Politics and other such topical creams.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21493
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:57pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 5:16pm
oliver wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 4:53pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 3:47pm
My question is this. We know Jesus was a real person and existed
We do?
Yeah, all evidence points to the existence of an Apocalyptic preacher from Nazareth in the first century named Jesus who was crucified on the order of Pilate.
I'm not sure there is any evidence. The two best examples are the Josephus passage, which even the Catholic Church acknowledge has been modified by eager Christians multiple times, is incredibly convenient in that it confirms everything the Christians said in one short paragraph but is never quoted before 300CE and Tacitus who was writing generations later in 115CE.

I don't doubt there were many people around at the time called Jesus. The man supposedly next to Jesus on the cross was Jesus Barabbas (which translates to Jesus Son of the Father)

Seems like "Jesus" is an amalgamation of a few people rather than one specific preacher.
That is my thinking rather like the amalgamation of Roman and Christian beliefs.
There were apparently hundreds of preachers like Jesus at the time and his following was minimal at the time of his death and only grew hundreds of years later which was probably when the myth was created with the combination of real events and stories of several preachers.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21493
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:47pm
I've only read a couple of his books, but you (101W) might want to check out some of the stuff by Bart Ehrman, who is quite accessible and deals with the historical Jesus.
I will thanks it is an interesting subject. Whilst I am an atheist I am very much an each to their own and not anti religion except when it comes to Christianity!!! Probably because I live in a Christian society in a country far more religious than I am used to.
Yeah, I'm atheist but not antitheist. If some people draw strength and moral purpose from religion—without being a bigot about it—who am I to criticize?
That is where I sit but I am exposed to Christianity so have seen it’s bigotry first hand which grates with me.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:47pm
I've only read a couple of his books, but you (101W) might want to check out some of the stuff by Bart Ehrman, who is quite accessible and deals with the historical Jesus.
I will thanks it is an interesting subject. Whilst I am an atheist I am very much an each to their own and not anti religion except when it comes to Christianity!!! Probably because I live in a Christian society in a country far more religious than I am used to.
Yeah, I'm atheist but not antitheist. If some people draw strength and moral purpose from religion—without being a bigot about it—who am I to criticize?
That is where I sit but I am exposed to Christianity so have seen it’s bigotry first hand which grates with me.
My wariness is tempered by the fact that my family's church is heavily into social justice. Heavy on love and fellowship, nothing about hell and punishment. So as bad Christianity can be, I can't ignore that first-hand experience of positivity.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21493
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:21pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 6:47pm
I've only read a couple of his books, but you (101W) might want to check out some of the stuff by Bart Ehrman, who is quite accessible and deals with the historical Jesus.
I will thanks it is an interesting subject. Whilst I am an atheist I am very much an each to their own and not anti religion except when it comes to Christianity!!! Probably because I live in a Christian society in a country far more religious than I am used to.
Yeah, I'm atheist but not antitheist. If some people draw strength and moral purpose from religion—without being a bigot about it—who am I to criticize?
That is where I sit but I am exposed to Christianity so have seen it’s bigotry first hand which grates with me.
My wariness is tempered by the fact that my family's church is heavily into social justice. Heavy on love and fellowship, nothing about hell and punishment. So as bad Christianity can be, I can't ignore that first-hand experience of positivity.
My in laws are Catholic but sadly my experiences are at the other end of the scale.

oliver
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 731
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 7:03pm
Yeah, I'm atheist but not antitheist. If some people draw strength and moral purpose from religion—without being a bigot about it—who am I to criticize?
If religion was only practiced by the extremists it would be banned or eventually ostracised out of existence. The regular religious folk, the ones who just want to be nice and thoughtful and help others, unwittingly give a platform of normality to it all that helps the extremists to carry on.

Generally speaking, If someone gives 10% of their income to the Church they don't get to write a note that says 'don't give my donation to the paedophile defence fund, put it towards a new roof' so it's hard for me to accept that they're not giving some kind of support even if it's indirect.

In saying that, I don't care what anyone wants to believe or follow as long as they don't expect me to follow it and don't expect me to pay for it and don't get special protection or exemptions from law.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 10:37am
If religion was only practiced by the extremists it would be banned or eventually ostracised out of existence. The regular religious folk, the ones who just want to be nice and thoughtful and help others, unwittingly give a platform of normality to it all that helps the extremists to carry on.
You could say that about any participatory activity, tho, no? Considerate and sharing fans (sports, music, etc) end up creating a space for obsessive assholes, too. Decent political activists give cover to ladder-climbers and socially malicious monsters. Etc.
Generally speaking, If someone gives 10% of their income to the Church they don't get to write a note that says 'don't give my donation to the paedophile defence fund, put it towards a new roof' so it's hard for me to accept that they're not giving some kind of support even if it's indirect.
If your church supports pedos, either don't tithe (and tell the leaders why) or switch to a different church.
In saying that, I don't care what anyone wants to believe or follow as long as they don't expect me to follow it and don't expect me to pay for it and don't get special protection or exemptions from law.
Very much agreed.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34833
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista »

Image
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Image
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34833
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 6:33am
Image
E. Told Donald about it so he could get out front and be a hero but Donald ignored him because he was watching a Friends marathon and when the marathon was over he forgot.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34833
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista »

Image
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 2:37pm
Image
After church, you're fucking dead, "son of god." I'll fucking send you back to see him, fucking pussy.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34833
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 2:44pm
tepista wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 2:37pm
Image
After church, you're fucking dead, "son of god." I'll fucking send you back to see him, fucking pussy.
What are you gonna do, tell your daddy?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12212
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 4:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 2:44pm
tepista wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 2:37pm
Image
After church, you're fucking dead, "son of god." I'll fucking send you back to see him, fucking pussy.
What are you gonna do, tell your daddy?
His dad can beat up your dad. Supposedly.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88808
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: This Week in Religion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Image
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Post Reply