Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 9:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 6:35am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5289165

Zero surprise that this is in his history. He's a callow rich kid who wants to be popular and does "fun" things to that end. Not sure how much this affects the election, tho. Conservatives who, in their heart, think there's nothing wrong with it weren't going to vote for him anyway; centrists are well-skilled at rationalizing their biases to ignore it; and people who are genuinely appalled were probably voting NDP or Green or abstaining.
I had an interesting talk with a friend who works for the US Government in Toronto about Trudeau. I mentioned that he's popular with many Americans and she pointed out that he isn't as popular in Canada as we think he is. She singled out that he wants to be popular and makes a lot of "fun" promises, but then struggles to actually follow through on said promises.
I have a number of friends who work in the civil service here in Ottawa and every one of them say the same thing. It's all about being popular as a sensitive, caring male. He's Bill Clinton, but without the serious stink of graft and greed. He's also not as smart as Clinton, but comes close in charisma. Thank goodness I'd never consider voting LIberal anyway so that I don't have struggle with this horseshit. Mind you, I was going to break my string have three or four elections of spoiling my ballot and vote Green again, but they've showed that their candidates are a mixed bag of bigots, numbskulls, and flakes. And the NDP are too contaminated with lawyers and professors with too little actual working class representation. What a deep bucket of shit. Maybe I'll rage vote for the Marxist-Leninist candidate who always runs in our riding.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So predictable. Liberals online are going hard with the argument that what happened in the past is past, his apology was excellent, and he's been a solid dude to people of colour, nothing to see here except what the evil Conservatives are doing over there. It's wretched how many of his supporters are saying, well, he was 29 and it was 2001, and we weren't as socially aware back then. Jesus fucking Christ, he was the son of a prime minister. His childhood was one of world travel and the best schools. I'm only a couple years older than him and I wasn't exactly the most socially conscious person growing up in redneck Sascratchyerass, but somehow I understood that black/brownface was fucking wrong and a symbol of white superiority. Yet this cool kid whom we're supposed to think is better and different missed that along the way, enough that he did it (at least) three times. Ho ho ho, what a fun dude. If Scheer weren't so reprehensible, I'd want the Liberals to be absolutely wiped out across the country. There would be considerable poetic justice if this shifts enough votes to Jagmeet Singh's NDP and Trudeau, assuming he still wins a plurality of seats, has to enter into a governing agreement with him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 6:35am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5289165

Zero surprise that this is in his history. He's a callow rich kid who wants to be popular and does "fun" things to that end. Not sure how much this affects the election, tho. Conservatives who, in their heart, think there's nothing wrong with it weren't going to vote for him anyway; centrists are well-skilled at rationalizing their biases to ignore it; and people who are genuinely appalled were probably voting NDP or Green or abstaining.
Ms. Unidos & I were just talking about the photo & her comment was, "I get why everybody's upset about the brownface thing, but what's going on with his right hand? Is he trying to strangle her & feel her boob at the same time?"
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Yeah. I grew up in the fucking cradle of the confederacy five years after him and I managed to figure out fairly young that blackface was a no-no.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Trudeau is Biden With Abs.
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/09/justin-t ... -elections

That … is not that far off. Trudeau isn't a cynical opportunist like Biden, tho; he's more of a kinda dopey, good-looking guy who won the jackpot by being born into the right family.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just saw a tv election ad from the Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada. I was not expecting that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back from voting in an advance poll. For only the third time in my life (and the last time was a protest vote), I voted NDP. It's also the first time in, I think, three or four elections that I didn't spoil my ballot. Decided to hold my reservations about the NDP's insufficient labour-orientation. I thought about the Greens again, but there's just too much fucking flakiness and distasteful candidates in that party. Mind you, my riding has gone Liberal in every election since it was created some 85 years ago. So it's not like my choice especially matters.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:53am
Back from voting in an advance poll. For only the third time in my life (and the last time was a protest vote), I voted NDP. It's also the first time in, I think, three or four elections that I didn't spoil my ballot. Decided to hold my reservations about the NDP's insufficient labour-orientation. I thought about the Greens again, but there's just too much fucking flakiness and distasteful candidates in that party. Mind you, my riding has gone Liberal in every election since it was created some 85 years ago. So it's not like my choice especially matters.
I came to this thread to wish the Canadian IMCTers happy voting day, and I see that Doc has already done his duty.

May the best man with the least disturbing past win!
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I came to this thread to wish the Canadian IMCTers happy voting day, and I see that Doc has already done his duty.

If the polls are basically correct, this will be the closest election since '72, when Justin Trudeau's dad lost his majority. It's conceivable that either the Liberals or Conservatives will win either a plurality of the popular vote but not a plurality of the seats. But the NDP has already ruled out working with the Conservatives and the Quebec French nationalist party would have a hard time doing so, meaning that unless the Conservatives win a majority (models show around a 1% chance of that happening), it'll be Liberals aided by the NDP and maybe Greens. Which is the best plausible scenario, assuming the NDP succeeds in gaining government support for some of its policy aims (e.g., a national pharmaceutical drug plan, electoral reform). Given that Trudeau's dominant impulse is to be liked, it's gonna be a tough slog satisfying both social democrats and liberals. Have fun, woke frat boy.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 10:08am
Spiff wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If the polls are basically correct, this will be the closest election since '72, when Justin Trudeau's dad lost his majority. It's conceivable that either the Liberals or Conservatives will win either a plurality of the popular vote but not a plurality of the seats. But the NDP has already ruled out working with the Conservatives and the Quebec French nationalist party would have a hard time doing so, meaning that unless the Conservatives win a majority (models show around a 1% chance of that happening), it'll be Liberals aided by the NDP and maybe Greens. Which is the best plausible scenario, assuming the NDP succeeds in gaining government support for some of its policy aims (e.g., a national pharmaceutical drug plan, electoral reform). Given that Trudeau's dominant impulse is to be liked, it's gonna be a tough slog satisfying both social democrats and liberals. Have fun, woke frat boy.
Holy shit Ive not been paying attention apparently he wore blackface so many times he can't come up with a number.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 6:59am
Holy shit Ive not been paying attention apparently he wore blackface so many times he can't come up with a number.
It ain't easy being a popular rich kid. After awhile, all the minstrelsy just blurs into one big hilarious party.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Given that my work clothes consistently include t-shirts, jeans, and Chucks, she's an inspiration: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... s-politics

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha ha, Andrew Scheer, our doughy, homophobic, anti-choice, alt-right footsi-footsi buddy is resigning as leader. Enjoy being remembered as a fatboy liar who was hated from all sides.

edit: Better yet, apparently it's because he was caught using party funds to pay for his kids' private school tuition.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I wish our American scandals involved donuts.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/politics ... index.html