Re: Canadian politics gets innerestin'

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 9:20pm
It's that kind of attention to detail and ingenuity that'll raise world oil prices again!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Alberta joins Ontario in electing a total fucking asshole premier

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 3:12am

Alberta joins Ontario in electing a total fucking asshole premier
To be conservative is to be dominated by a siege mentality. And there's no end of those who are victimizing—women, people of colour, homosexuals, transgenders, Muslims, atheists, environmentalists, liberals, leftists. They're all out to persecute the humble conservative who just wants to be able to dominate and abuse in peace. Total Alberta right there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/saskatche ... -1.4418595

Predictably, comments by conservatives who claim to oppose Nazis still think it's better to let the asshole fly a goddamned swastika because freedom of expression is more important. Somehow, conservatives can steadily be counted on to defend the rights of Nazi shitheads but be strangely silent about rights of expression by people of colour and the left. Coincidentally, I'm sure, the First Nations man who ripped down the flag, they say, should be prosecuted.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

As a reply to that tweet says, build the man a statue.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 3:07pm

As a reply to that tweet says, build the man a statue.
Holy fuck was that a sweet move.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Hmm, Canada Day's taking an unexpected turn this year …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Meanwhile, in Saskatchewan …

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoo ... -1.5230152

Dur, if you don't let us talk about how much we hate women and homos and mud people, we have no choice but to start killing them. The right is an utter sewer of stupidity.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Fine. I'll—uh, wait. This is actually nuts, even for Kenney-kins.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 11:32pm
Fine. I'll—uh, wait. This is actually nuts, even for Kenney-kins.

Seems like Emmanuel Goldstein is up to his shenanigans again!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've read a couple threads on Reddit about the NDP's call for a 1% tax on the ultra wealthy. Absolutely fascinating how many ardently arguing that a billionaire being slightly less obscenely wealthy would lead to totalitarianism and/or Canada becoming an economic backwater when capital flees for St. Kitts. Hats off the wealthy that they've convinced so many people with so little to defend their interests.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5289165

Zero surprise that this is in his history. He's a callow rich kid who wants to be popular and does "fun" things to that end. Not sure how much this affects the election, tho. Conservatives who, in their heart, think there's nothing wrong with it weren't going to vote for him anyway; centrists are well-skilled at rationalizing their biases to ignore it; and people who are genuinely appalled were probably voting NDP or Green or abstaining.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2019, 6:35am
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5289165

Zero surprise that this is in his history. He's a callow rich kid who wants to be popular and does "fun" things to that end. Not sure how much this affects the election, tho. Conservatives who, in their heart, think there's nothing wrong with it weren't going to vote for him anyway; centrists are well-skilled at rationalizing their biases to ignore it; and people who are genuinely appalled were probably voting NDP or Green or abstaining.
I had an interesting talk with a friend who works for the US Government in Toronto about Trudeau. I mentioned that he's popular with many Americans and she pointed out that he isn't as popular in Canada as we think he is. She singled out that he wants to be popular and makes a lot of "fun" promises, but then struggles to actually follow through on said promises.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble