The Political Gun Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

I was fucking pissed (again) when the news came across the wire. Furious. I put out a Facebook post that said I'd better get my "thoughts and prayers" ready and it drew flack from a couple of friends - those who did not get the satire. They took it as disrespectful of Christians - which is very telling as so many "Christians" think about themselves first. I was not criticizing Christians. I am one - even if I have a ton of inner turmoil about my beliefs. I'm simply beyond done with the lame response we as Americans get from our elected leaders. They have the power to make real change - but they don't. They just talk about how bad they feel and offer thoughts and prayers. FIX the problem. Do anything!! Just fucking try. I'm done with their "kind" words.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 4:20pm
Terrible news.
It truly is, my friend - but it's so crazy that for the average American it no longer registers. 5...10...20? It's become just a number...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 8:24pm
BitterTom wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 4:20pm
Terrible news.
It truly is, my friend - but it's so crazy that for the average American it no longer registers. 5...10...20? It's become just a number...
Yes that is sad when the number becomes irrelevant. We should all strive to never become desensitised to Acts of violence.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Now Dayton, Ohio. :angry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://splinternews.com/lt-gov-reacts- ... 1836942497

Nazis and Klan members, however, are still welcome as always.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 9:15am

Those are called Texans.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 1:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 9:15am

Those are called Texans.
White Texans, anyway. The asshole shooter posted some manifesto about belonging to the last white generation. Well, if he's representative, thank fucking beelzebub for that. These people whine so goddamned much about being an endangered species while doing their damnedest to demonstrate justification for their extinction.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've been thinking a lot about the news in the past couple of days. I drew some social media flack for my initial response - which was just an expression of disgust directed towards our lack of any constructive progress. It's interesting how different people saw different things in my few short words: an attack on Christians or an attack on gun ownership or an attack on Republicans or whatever and in some ways there was at least some truth in all of that. However, I'm looking beyond that. Are guns the problem? Not in themselves. We need more sensible gun laws - but guns are an instrument of hate. All of this is a manifestation of the systemic inequality, racism, and hate that have propped up our society for centuries. It's all connected and not always in obvious ways. THAT is what we need to go after. That is what we need to disrupt. We need to combat the collective disregard for others and the lack of empathy and the mistrust and I feel it takes more than kind words and thoughts. We need to be actively working to undo the centuries of broken ideas and it feels very overwhelming right now. It's a problem that will take a generation (if not more) to fix - but it has to start now. No more kicking the can down the road.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 9:59am
I've been thinking a lot about the news in the past couple of days. I drew some social media flack for my initial response - which was just an expression of disgust directed towards our lack of any constructive progress. It's interesting how different people saw different things in my few short words: an attack on Christians or an attack on gun ownership or an attack on Republicans or whatever and in some ways there was at least some truth in all of that. However, I'm looking beyond that. Are guns the problem? Not in themselves. We need more sensible gun laws - but guns are an instrument of hate. All of this is a manifestation of the systemic inequality, racism, and hate that have propped up our society for centuries. It's all connected and not always in obvious ways. THAT is what we need to go after. That is what we need to disrupt. We need to combat the collective disregard for others and the lack of empathy and the mistrust and I feel it takes more than kind words and thoughts. We need to be actively working to undo the centuries of broken ideas and it feels very overwhelming right now. It's a problem that will take a generation (if not more) to fix - but it has to start now. No more kicking the can down the road.
I got some looks for being nonchalant about all this. It's who we are in this country and we're fools to expect anything else. We are reflected buy our culture and our government. We get what we deserve.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
I don't disagree with any of this necessarily, we always obviously need to be fighting the battle of ideas and trying to combat hate, alienation, etc.

And I also think that hateful ideology isn't unique to America. It the massive, massive numbers of guns that are unique and it's why we have all this gun violence when other countries that have all the other stuff we have but fewer guns manage to... not have so much fun violence.

It really is the guns.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:28am
WestwayKid wrote:
I don't disagree with any of this necessarily, we always obviously need to be fighting the battle of ideas and trying to combat hate, alienation, etc.

And I also think that hateful ideology isn't unique to America. It the massive, massive numbers of guns that are unique and it's why we have all this gun violence when other countries that have all the other stuff we have but fewer guns manage to... not have so much fun violence.

It really is the guns.
According to Trump and McCarthy - it's about the video games...

I also don't disagree that it's also very much about guns and in my mind - I'm wrestling with how all of this is connected. I do see an underlying current of hate and intolerance - of valuing some lives less than others - but then I also see a longstanding - and very sick - infatuation with guns and violence.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A dominant culture that validates, if not valourizes, violence as a legitimate means handling disagreement in the civil sphere; a cultural-economic system that both promotes great disparities of wealth and attaches moral significance to where one stands on that basis; and fairly easy access to tools for murdering lots and lots and lots of people. Those are the three legs of the stool. Dismantling any single leg would be an improvement, but the goal should be destroying the stool altogether.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:52am
A dominant culture that validates, if not valourizes, violence as a legitimate means handling disagreement in the civil sphere; a cultural-economic system that both promotes great disparities of wealth and attaches moral significance to where one stands on that basis; and fairly easy access to tools for murdering lots and lots and lots of people. Those are the three legs of the stool. Dismantling any single leg would be an improvement, but the goal should be destroying the stool altogether.
Trump is a stool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 12:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:52am
Trump is a stool.
Trump is stool.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politi ... story.html

*gasp* I just realized that actual human beings can be hurt by the proliferation of guns!