Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 2:10pm
And here comes Michelle Obama to take away that kid's gun-candy in the name of the liberal nanny state. :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Another day...another mass shooting...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/califo ... index.html

Make America Great Again... :meh:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:56am
Another day...another mass shooting...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/califo ... index.html

Make America Great Again... :meh:
It's the price of freedom, Treasoncrat!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So there were six off-duty cops at the bar when the asshole walked in and started shooting. My understanding of the "good guy with a gun" argument is that they—six good guys!—should have been able to take him down immediately. Huh.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 2:01pm
So there were six off-duty cops at the bar when the asshole walked in and started shooting. My understanding of the "good guy with a gun" argument is that they—six good guys!—should have been able to take him down immediately. Huh.
I'm sure they'll have a very reasonable explanation as to why six good guys with guns were not able to stop this mass shooting...

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I recently had a discussion about gun violence with my girlfriend. She has a background in helping people deal with trauma. She mentioned mental illness rates haven't increased - but society has really helped create a sense of alienation in a lot of people. Their mindset is that they have been marginalized and that society has set them aside as being outsiders and that leads to the mentality that causes someone to 1) not only lose empathy for human life but 2) feel they need to react violently. I'm probably doing a bad job of explaining her argument...but it made sense to me.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm sure they'll have a very reasonable explanation as to why six good guys with guns were not able to stop this mass shooting...
They were unarmed...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 2:41pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They were unarmed...
That's surprising that six off-duty cops and not one was carrying. Well, we know now that the argument will be that off-duty cops being mandated to carry at all times.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They were unarmed...
That's surprising that six off-duty cops and not one was carrying. Well, we know now that the argument will be that off-duty cops being mandated to carry at all times.
Six off duty cops armed in a bar, what could possibly go wrong!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
I recently had a discussion about gun violence with my girlfriend. She has a background in helping people deal with trauma. She mentioned mental illness rates haven't increased - but society has really helped create a sense of alienation in a lot of people. Their mindset is that they have been marginalized and that society has set them aside as being outsiders and that leads to the mentality that causes someone to 1) not only lose empathy for human life but 2) feel they need to react violently. I'm probably doing a bad job of explaining her argument...but it made sense to me.
I've heard arguments from psychologists that our individualistic and ultra-competitive culture—you're a winner or you're a loser!—generates both a lack of empathy for the less fortunate and for some of those less fortunate to take the opportunity to take their revenge. The decline in a sense of common good—citizenship, more broadly—and increase in mass shootings makes some intuitive sense, especially when contrasted against other societies. Why are these things almost unheard of in, say, Scandinavian countries? Why are the rates much less frequent in Canada?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 3:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They were unarmed...
Six off duty cops armed in a bar, what could possibly go wrong!
Nothing could go wrong! All the bad people would shelve their bad plans and go to church.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's surprising that six off-duty cops and not one was carrying.
the cops probably weren't expecting to find many black children to murder at the time, so it makes sense.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, in a born under a bad sign kind of way, over a dozen of the people at the bar were present in Vegas last year when that fucknut opened fire at the country show. It's all coincidence, but, Jesus fuck, why would you ever go out again?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »