BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 10:02am
Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 9:59am
In our neighborhood there's a house with a sign on the porch that says something like "burglars, this house is armed. There's nothing in here worth losing your life over." Nothing worth losing your life over, but the family room television is worth killing someone over, I guess.
I often wonder what’s worse for the person who kills a burglar: living with the knowledge that you took a life over some stuff, or living with the belief that this was a righteous act.
They never consider any of those points ahead of time. I think these times suffer from and odd paranoia couples with a hero complex. Burglars generally break into empty houses and I don't think TVs are worth going for anymore.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 10:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 10:02am
Flex wrote:
In our neighborhood there's a house with a sign on the porch that says something like "burglars, this house is armed. There's nothing in here worth losing your life over." Nothing worth losing your life over, but the family room television is worth killing someone over, I guess.
I often wonder what’s worse for the person who kills a burglar: living with the knowledge that you took a life over some stuff, or living with the belief that this was a righteous act.
They never consider any of those points ahead of time. I think these times suffer from and odd paranoia couples with a hero complex. Burglars generally break into empty houses and I don't think TVs are worth going for anymore.
Now that people have tv's that are, like, 30 feet wide, any burglar needs both several friends and someone guiding the path out of the house. Just easy to steal a piano as a tv now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
I remember we had an uptick in BART phone robberies and arguing with someone on fb (always a good idea) who was saying they'll arm themselves. My point was quite simply, your phone is not worth killing someone. They didn't agree.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fucking unbelievable. Why is the first instinct for these people to grab a gun? Jist like rhe cops.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 8:12am
Fucking unbelievable. Why is the first instinct for these people to grab a gun? Jist like rhe cops.
The propaganda effect. I said it yesterday, it's a steady diet of paranoia and fear and encouraging them to see other citizens, other human beings as threats.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 8:34am
revbob wrote:
The propaganda effect. I said it yesterday, it's a steady diet of paranoia and fear and encouraging them to see other citizens, other human beings as threats.
Americas are collectively very ill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 10:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
As much as love my American friends here, yeah, I can’t disagree. In a seemingly rapid period of time, it’s become a very foreign country to me. Even for all the non-crazy people, it can’t be healthy be surrounded by such lunacy, being bombarded by their psychosis as played out on screens and in the streets.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 10:30am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
As much as love my American friends here, yeah, I can’t disagree. In a seemingly rapid period of time, it’s become a very foreign country to me. Even for all the non-crazy people, it can’t be healthy be surrounded by such lunacy, being bombarded by their psychosis as played out on screens and in the streets.
It's really just awful. Especially in red states.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 10:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

That's a big reason why I vetoed our potential move back to Saskatchewan. It's gotten crazy like that—that kneejerk anger at anything that suggests a diverse, participatory society. I'm full-on honest that my mental health needs to be in a more cosmopolitan city and neighbourhood, whatever its many problems. I prefer liking my neighbours.

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I think its spread like a web through the whole country. We moved to a quiet little coastal town and we've got em around here too. They like to say it with stickers; FJB, Trump, Molan Labe, I Love Guns!, and my favorite Don't Tread on Me (No Step on Snek!). It's a collective fear that isn't based on any sort of reality. It's nice around here! Shit, half these guys have boats and $70k trucks to haul them. There is very little to be upset about. The only thing I really worry about are these fucking people. They all seem to have a bloodlust.

BostonBeaneater

They all look the part, don't they?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 11:26am
They all look the part, don't they?

Somebody got a little sun last weekend.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

It's not much better in a purple state. In Wisconsin, we have bastions of commonsense around our cities: Milwaukee, Madison, and a few other areas, but the vast majority feels increasingly awful. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things, but it feels like the election of Trump "normalized" lunacy. It's like it removed the safety device that was holding back the psychos. It was shaky before he got elected, but it all came crashing down with him and now it's okay to express anything, no matter how stupid or bigoted or wrong it is.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
You're not wrong. I live in a small suburb of Milwaukee. It feels like a small town. I grew up here, moved away for a few years after college, but came back to raise my kids. The political polarization of just the past couple years has been extreme. Our school board elections, which had been very friendly and positive for decades, have become absolute cesspools. People now appear okay being openly awful to their neighbors. It's no longer "I value your opinion" it's "you're wrong" and it just wears you down after awhile. You stop caring and you just retreat to focus on your own life, which only increase the alienation that is already being felt.