BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Political Gun Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 10:38am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 11:54pm
Wellness check in for Flex. Check in Flex.
I'm fine, thanks. We live a fair bit south of where the shooting took place.

Horrible stuff. Every state has something similar, but I saw a list yesterday of the number of mass shooting in Colorado since the early 90s and, well, it was too long a list to be contained in a tweet's character limit.
Terrible stuff. I know that's not exactly close by but it's still too close. I wonder if we will ever address our mass mental health crisis. It seems like a solid 25% of Americans are suffering mental illness of some sort right now.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

It's rough that most (American) people seem to have a too close connection to mass shootings. Mine is the Thousand Oaks one from two years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Oaks_shooting

I went to high school in this town and went to this actual bar once or twice when I was still in high school (they had an 18 and over area).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 12:20pm
It's rough that most (American) people seem to have a too close connection to mass shootings. Mine is the Thousand Oaks one from two years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Oaks_shooting

I went to high school in this town and went to this actual bar once or twice when I was still in high school (they had an 18 and over area).
I've argued (and continue to hope) that that will be the catalyst for meaningful gun policy change in the US. Kids who grew up with post-Columbine active-shooter drills and experiences will decide they don't want their kids to go thru the same shit. Those whose childhood was too strict tend to want their children to have more freedom; those whose childhood was too lax and without structure seek to counter that. So those who grew up regarding school as a place where you might get murdered, I hope, will generate the political will to address that. (I'm perversely optimistic, I know.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 1:02pm
matedog wrote:

I've argued (and continue to hope) that that will be the catalyst for meaningful gun policy change in the US. Kids who grew up with post-Columbine active-shooter drills and experiences will decide they don't want their kids to go thru the same shit. Those whose childhood was too strict tend to want their children to have more freedom; those whose childhood was too lax and without structure seek to counter that. So those who grew up regarding school as a place where you might get murdered, I hope, will generate the political will to address that. (I'm perversely optimistic, I know.)
You are way more optimistic than me. God I hope that's how it turns out, I just don't see anything changing based on the current climate and penchant for apathy and bending to the will of corporations.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

You are way more optimistic than me. God I hope that's how it turns out, I just don't see anything changing based on the current climate and penchant for apathy and bending to the will of corporations.
The historian's credo is that everything is in flux, and change can occur where seemingly it would be impossible. I often cite same-sex marriage as the seemingly impossible that is generally conventional now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I've kind of been of the opinion that if nothing changed after 20 six-year-olds were massacred, then it's not gonna. If it weren't for the filibuster, maybe background checks could get through this session. But that blob whose dad killed JFK and is also the Zodiac Killer is dead set on filibustering any meaningful legislation.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:26am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

I've kind of been of the opinion that if nothing changed after 20 six-year-olds were massacred, then it's not gonna. If it weren't for the filibuster, maybe background checks could get through this session. But that blob whose dad killed JFK and is also the Zodiac Killer is dead set on filibustering any meaningful legislation.
Again, historical constellations change. Not saying it'll happen this time or the next, but to say nothing is ever going to change—that the future will be the present but more so—is to say that we are frozen in history or immune to it. The people in elected offices change, those who are alive and dead in the country are constantly in flux. Y'all need to think like historians and appreciate that everything is always in motion.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:26am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

100%

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

reports are that biden is actually getting keen on nuking the filibuster - very "only nixon could go to china" stuff there - so I'm formally moving One (1) IMCT Hooky's Left Nut Unit of Speculative Value over to Doc's optimism that maybe something (anything) can be done.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/03/us/shelt ... index.html

Im pretty sure these aren't BBE's old squirrel hunting buddies.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 2:23pm

Yeah I just saw that. Wtf? Bunch of crazies. They got 11 of them but I wonder if there are any more roaming the woods.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The over/under of Gadsden flags in their possession is set at 14.5.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yeah and you know they were white because none of them were shot by the police.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 2:23pm

Can't wait to see their booking photos, pretty sure they'll support my stereotypical view of what types of "people" they are.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 3:13pm
Yeah and you know they were white because none of them were shot by the police.
That's what I thought at first too, but I'm not sure. From what I can dig up, the group call themselves "Rise of the Moors". Their leader is a guy named Jamhal Talib Abdullah Bey. Pretty sure he is Black.

They are apparently part of the Moorish sovereign citizen movement. This is what Southern Poverty Law Center says about them:

"Moorish sovereigns espouse an interpretation of sovereign doctrine that African Americans constitute an elite class within American society with special rights and privileges that convey on them a sovereign immunity placing them beyond federal and state authority."
Last edited by Kimmelweck on 03 Jul 2021, 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.